Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused on what surgery to have

I had my first appointment yesterday and came away very confused. Lap band is my choice for surgery, but the attending physician in the office thinks that the sleeve will be better for me. Excuse me, but I don't want 3/4 of my stomach removed. He told me that the average weight loss for banding is 36%, which in my case would be about 60 lbs. I have not seen anyone who has lost less than 100. My niece has lost 140 over the last 20 months. With sleeve, 50% and 77% with bypass Anyone have any comments or thoughts ?

I'm starting to wonder WHY surgeons push the sleeve more. Is it to avoid the loooong aftercare? Maybe...

When *I went in, I went in with lap-band in mind and left with a "scheduled" sleeve---- but I didn't let them screw me, I called three days later and said I want to go back to my original choice: the band!!

I'm so glad I did

That is what I did, had the lap band planned and was told I would do better with the sleeve. I am going to stick with the lap band decision though. Thanks for letting me know how it worked out for you.

You're welcome! The surgeon himself called me to confirm I had changed my mind. It didn't seem he had a problem with it..... It was more his team of doctors I met with on my first appointment. Let us know how it goes ;)

Not sure about the sleeve being pushed by Dr's... seems to me it's probably more $$$$ involved and less aftercare... There are pro's and con's to all WLS but I also did not want 3/4's of my stomach gone...what happens in the long run after that part of the stomach has been un used? I was just wondering about that.. anyone have the answer?

With the first bariatric surgeon I went to, I was told I couldn't have the Lap Band because I was too big. I was over 400 pounds with over 260 pounds to lose. I was told I could never lose enough weight with the band and I had to have the Sleeve or Gastric Bypass- neither of which I wanted.

I found a new doctor because like you, I didn't want 3/4 of my healthy stomach hacked out or my intestines re-reouted.

I have lost over 230 pounds since getting my band 21 months ago. That's 88% of my excess weight and I'm still losing.

You can lose as much with the band as you're will to work at losing. It's completely up to you how much you lose. It's also your choice which surgery you want so don't let anyone try to talk you into anything you don't want.

Best wishes.

It seems that the sleeve is going to overtake lap bad for most surgeons. The sleeve is prefered for the really overweight as it works faster and there is less aftercare. When I am getting that needle stuck into my port and belly ever 6 weeks I some what jokingly say to the PA, "this is when I wish I had a sleeve or bypass." The drawback is that the sleeve can't be removed as the band can.

My PCP and surgeon both were supportive in my decision to get the band and I never was questioned.... I don't understand why doctors would do that. I was actually told by my PCP that it was an awesome idea that I wanted to look into the band and try and get healthier. I do have a pretty awesome PCP though lol (took years to find her though).

I'm starting to wonder WHY surgeons push the sleeve more. Is it to avoid the loooong aftercare? Maybe...

When *I went in, I went in with lap-band in mind and left with a "scheduled" sleeve---- but I didn't let them screw me, I called three days later and said I want to go back to my original choice: the band!!

I'm so glad I did

Same here..... I was initially scheduled for the bypass, but freaked out two weeks before surgery. I ended up with the band + plication, and haven't had one second of regret.

Hot - I think you're right on about why they push the other surgeries. The long aftercare is one big thing, and the other is that the other two surgeries show a more rapid weight loss in the first year. But after that, no matter what surgery you do, everyone ends up in the same boat......having to CONTROL what they choose to put in their mouth. There are absolutely no free rides with WLS. If we don't learn to change or control our habits, we can gain the weight back.

For me, I knew the work would start the minute I opened my eyes from surgery. And I was completely ready for it. At least I sleep much better at night knowing, that if necessary, the surgery is reversible. Can't say that with the others......no thank you very much B)

I had my first appointment yesterday and came away very confused. Lap band is my choice for surgery, but the attending physician in the office thinks that the sleeve will be better for me. Excuse me, but I don't want 3/4 of my stomach removed. He told me that the average weight loss for banding is 36%, which in my case would be about 60 lbs. I have not seen anyone who has lost less than 100. My niece has lost 140 over the last 20 months. With sleeve, 50% and 77% with bypass Anyone have any comments or thoughts ?

Truth be told, many surgeons think many obese people are very lazy and getting the band REQUIRES a lot more UPFRONT work than the Sleeve or Bypass.

Also, honestly lap band aftercare can be a pain in the @ass for many surgeons with filling the band and unfilling, so some surgeons are pushing the Bypass and Sleeve regardless of WHAT the patient wants.

You will have to live with the Sleeve the rest of your life regardless of what issues may crop up, with the band -- well you will always have options to get it removed or adjusted if needed.

Many surgeons LIKE the Sleeve and Bypass because first you are guaranteed Instance gratification of weight loss, but you will NOT be guaranteed to keep it off once the pouch stretches, and it will over time.

The surgeons don't care if you gain weight back, they KNOW that the Sleeve and Bypass works "temporarily" and MANY gain every pound back over the years if they are not dieting and exercising like crazy and the sad part is..even if you regain weight you still MUST take required Vitamins for the rest of your life.

I got family members that have had stomach stapling and the Bypass over 20 years ago.. stomach stapling is similar to the Sleeve and they are all still obese. And yea they all got skinny in the first few years, until it stops working.

I got rebanded last year due to a hiatal hernia and my old surgeon tried to shove the Sleeve down my throat, but I found another very experienced band surgeon that had placed over 500 bands, and I am very happy I was rebanded, I got very good restriction again.

I would never do anything but the band since it's adjustable and removable.

Good luck.

I got the same chat with my surgeon pre-op. Luckily he didn't discourage the band per-se, but just really wanted me to have all the information from all the surgeries. Because the band is the least invasive, I wanted to start there....I don't have a crystal ball, I am only 35, will I have my band for the next 40 years? Realistically no, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

I have been nothing but happy. I follow the rules. I indulge in moderation. I have lost almost 70% of my excess weight and feel amazing.

Good luck =)

Hello all. I don't want to stir the pot, but I had my sleeve over two years ago and am on here researching some of the latest information with a friend who is thinking about WLS and I want them to have all the information they need so they can make the right decision for them, and we came across this thread.

It would seem there is some mis-information on this thread as it relates to the sleeve. For those researching, I would suggest going to the sister sites, www.verticalsleevetalk.com or www.rnytalk.com for information about the sleeve and bypass. Just like the band, compliance is critical to success. I was compliant and lost 100% of my excess weight, 120 pounds in just over 8 months and have been maintaining fluctuating up and down 5 pounds for over 18 months. Unlike the bypass, the sleeve is not a pouch made from the fundus, the stretchy part of the stomach. It will not stretch back to it's original size. Those who gain post sleeve are those who consistently eat "around" the sleeve, just as band patients can do. I choose to have 85% of my stomach removed because I knew I needed a permanent change with my relationship with food. People often question, "What if you need that part of your stomach again?" My response is, "For what? So I can abuse food again?" I don't want to even have that as an option again. Again, over 2 years out and still have excellent restriction, no dietary restrictions and haven't seen my doctor, as it relates to bariatric needs, in 2 years. I do take Vitamins every day, (not 100% compliant ;)) but I think pretty much everybody should be doing that anyway ... right? WLS or not, so ...

I do wish everyone well on their WLS journey and congratulate everyone in working towards their goals. It has been a great journey for me and I hope for you, too.

Good luck with your research!

You might need your stomach back in case you develop cancer and need to have chemo or radiation or both.. both treatments are difficult on the patients system and nutrition is a huge part of recovery.. I know that for a fact.. My husband had esophogeal cancer and lost a good deal of weight while taking chemo and radiatiion.. thank god he was able to eat and keep his nutrition up otherwise.. patients who don't do well and can't gain weight usually end up in the hospital being tube fed... so yes there are drawbacks to having 85% of your stomach removed..but everyone has to make their own decision.. some people are not afraid of the more invasive procedures and some like me did not want that... I only take a few vitamins.. multi Vitamin. vit d and b12.. that's it...

I hear what you are saying about, "What if I get stomach cancer?" or something along those lines. I am, by nature, not a risk taker. So, when I posed this question to my PCP, she laughed saying I had a higher chance of being in a severe car accident than I had with developing a cancer or condition where I would need my excised stomach. Something like 1 in 10,000. Now, I do understand that it does happen and I am sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he is doing well. I think cancer has touched or will touch just about everybody's life in one way or another at some time, but with today's medicine, it no longer is the death sentence it once was. However, my obesity and the co-morbidities were. I knew I needed a permanent change with food's role in my life. Also note that due to this surgery, my nutrition has never been better in my life. I choose to eat what I call nutritionally relevant foods, where pre-sleeve, I ate what was in reach. I have had two unrelated surgeries since and recovered marvelously, thanks, in part, to this new lifestyle.

It was quite co-incidental that while I was researching this, 3 people were killed when a bus turned a corner as they were crossing. Literally run over by a bus. I take the bus and train into work in downtown PDX, so it gave me pause ... Which would be the greater risk? Being hit by a bus or having complications from VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) or needing 100% of my stomach? I decided I was not going to live my life afraid of living, so, I got my sleeve and I still take public transit into downtown. Who knew I was such a rebel!! :blink: LOL!

BTW, I take the exact same Vitamins you do ... a multi, B12 and Vit D.

If you'd care to wander over to Vertical Sleeve Talk, you can see my before and after pics in my profile, but like here, Alex is also upgrading the site, so gallery pics are currently down.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/user/11267-pdxman/

BTW, as I mentioned before and as Sharpie points out, each of us has our own journey. I am in no way trying to discount the lap band for everyone. Just like other WLS solutions, each has it's place in our lives. We have to find what works for us and our issues. If you do not want a procedure which is not reversible, then VSG is not for you. I didn't want my intestines re-routed or the possibility that my "pouch" could stretch, so RNY was not for me. Constant office visits, likelihood of slippage and knowing that if/when the band was removed I could consume large portions is why I opted not to be banded. I merely came on here to point out some mis-information and to direct researchers over to the other boards for better information.

Good luck to all of my WLS friends, pre or post surgery!

I hear what you are saying about, "What if I get stomach cancer?" or something along those lines. I am, by nature, not a risk taker. So, when I posed this question to my PCP, she laughed saying I had a higher chance of being in a severe car accident than I had with developing a cancer or condition where I would need my excised stomach. Something like 1 in 10,000. Now, I do understand that it does happen and I am sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he is doing well. I think cancer has touched or will touch just about everybody's life in one way or another at some time, but with today's medicine, it no longer is the death sentence it once was. However, my obesity and the co-morbidities were. I knew I needed a permanent change with food's role in my life. Also note that due to this surgery, my nutrition has never been better in my life. I choose to eat what I call nutritionally relevant foods, where pre-sleeve, I ate what was in reach. I have had two unrelated surgeries since and recovered marvelously, thanks, in part, to this new lifestyle.

It was quite co-incidental that while I was researching this, 3 people were killed when a bus turned a corner as they were crossing. Literally run over by a bus. I take the bus and train into work in downtown PDX, so it gave me pause ... Which would be the greater risk? Being hit by a bus or having complications from VSG (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) or needing 100% of my stomach? I decided I was not going to live my life afraid of living, so, I got my sleeve and I still take public transit into downtown. Who knew I was such a rebel!! :blink: LOL!

BTW, I take the exact same Vitamins you do ... a multi, B12 and Vit D.

If you'd care to wander over to Vertical Sleeve Talk, you can see my before and after pics in my profile, but like here, Alex is also upgrading the site, so gallery pics are currently down.

http://www.verticals...r/11267-pdxman/

BTW, as I mentioned before and as Sharpie points out, each of us has our own journey. I am in no way trying to discount the lap band for everyone. Just like other WLS solutions, each has it's place in our lives. We have to find what works for us and our issues. If you do not want a procedure which is not reversible, then VSG is not for you. I didn't want my intestines re-routed or the possibility that my "pouch" could stretch, so RNY was not for me. Constant office visits, likelihood of slippage and knowing that if/when the band was removed I could consume large portions is why I opted not to be banded. I merely came on here to point out some mis-information and to direct researchers over to the other boards for better information.

Good luck to all of my WLS friends, pre or post surgery!

Congrats on your weight loss with the Sleeve, but to say that the Sleeve WILL NOT eventually stretch out, is misleading people on a surgery that they can't reverse once it's done.

Regardless of which bougie size you have it WILL stretch out eventually, you are only 2 years post op, based on my friends who have Sleeves, AND many medical published cited journals to back this up....

My friends with the Sleeve can't eat as much as pre op and they are 5 + years post Sleeve, but they can eat too much for it to be effective for weight loss without serious dieting, and they have to diet if they want to lose weight at the 5 year mark, also they have dumping syndrome, something that's not openly discussed with the Sleeve.

If your Sleeve is working for you great! But many are just not willing to risk removing their stomach and end up having to diet like crazy in about 3-4 years.