Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sort of depressed/sad/scared

Is anybody or has anybody gone through this? I am beginning to question my choice for the surgery. I know that I need it and I know that it is the best thing I could ever do for myself, but I am really getting scared for the future. I realize that this sounds so trivial, but I guess we you are talking about yourself if seem much bigger. When I am invited on outings can I eat with them. If we go on a cruise the next time, will I be able to eat. That type of stuff. I am doing well on my pre-op diet. Half way there as I am getting banded 10/22/13.

The best advice I can give you is this: Make a list of questions and fears then bring it with you for your next meeting with your surgeon. Go through them all and let him help reassure you and answer your questions. That is part of his job and it's important that you resolve these feelings.

If after talking to your surgeon you're still unsure, then quite honestly I'd postpone the surgery. It's so important you are totally confident in your decision for weight loss surgery. If you are unsure, then it's better to wait until you are sure or cancel it altogether. It's too big of a life changing decision to be anything other than 100% positive this is what you want.

Best wishes. I hope you find peace with your final decision :)

Thanks for the advise. I am hoping that I am just being a baby and getting tired of Protein Shakes. Maybe it is PMS. I keep telling myself that I need this or I won't be around for long. I am going to take your advise and make a list. thanks!

Thanks for the advise. I am hoping that I am just being a baby and getting tired of Protein shakes. Maybe it is PMS. I keep telling myself that I need this or I won't be around for long. I am going to take your advise and make a list. thanks!

I went to the fair this past weekend and I had to choose what I wanted and whatever I got I ate 1/4 of it. You have to choose wisely what you eat so that you can make sure you're getting your Protein. It actually gets easier to make good food choices after you get the band.

I am newly banded so I’m by no means an expert and right now I have just moved on to normal solid foods and do not have any restriction at all, so I struggle with the what and how much to eat at every meal. The feelings you have , are exactly the roller coaster i went through before my surgery. i was so afraid of how life would be post banding how i would interact with the world how i would do.. i basically sat myself down and ask what was more important to me. a healthy long life or a shorter one that got worse year after year.. i decided much like i did when i quit smoking i want to be here 40yrs from now.. and honestly food is not what i want to be remembered for.. I was at the state fair this weekend i thought it was going to be hell and at first it was. but then i broke out my shake i had brought with me. after and only after that i sucked on a few fries and found i didn't even want them.. only you can make this choice but like missy said you need to want to do this or I can see how hard it would be for folks not fully committed to this life

​I was going to say what Missy said, maybe postpone the surgery but then you said it may be PMS. I haven't had PMS in so many years, I don't recall the mood swings but I'm sure my husband and sons do. In fact my husband's initials are MS, so PMS stands for Poor Mitch S-----. LOL.

I got cold feet as I was being wheeled into the operating room because the doctor was very late. The sleeve person before me had problems and my surgery was at 7pm instead of 2pm.

The BAND is the best thing I have done, I love it. Good luck.

We are all here to help.

You have no idea how much I appreciate all of the thoughts and opinions. My husband and I are both having the surgery the same day. He is doing just great. I am sure I will get there. This pre-op diet is just awful. I am so tired of Protein Shakes. I know a pity party for myself. Congrats to all of you who have gone through this before me. You are all a huge inspiration. Thanks!

I honestly eat everything. Just lesser amounts and I use Portion Control by weighing out my stuff and measuring. I enjoy counting calories....its something I can actually control and work with and learn to make the most of....id say a cruise would be no big deal as far as eating goes. The only thing that may change is you might not lose weight....well who cares your on vacation right!! Work your butt off in the gym when you get back :) Good luck to you and relax...There is a learning curve to this but it just makes starving yourself to death tolerable (How else would some of lose over half our body weight???) ...The rest is hard work and dedication....

Going on cruises is not an issue. You are thinking about how you will miss the food. It's not about food anymore with the band. Its about enjoying time with family and friends without needing to eat. Its time to rethink that enjoyment does not have to involve food anymore. I go on vacation and I enjoy myself with my husband and I enjoy the things that I could not do before. Enjoy life now not food.

My surgery is three weeks from tomorrow and I'm so ready. In some ways I feel like I've never been this ready for anything. And yet.....today I was at therapy (started this summer in tandem with the LB process to make sure my head is ready) and I started thinking, well maybe I can do this without the band, what am I doing, why surgery, maybe i should just do therapy, etc. Well, I know why. Because I'm 52 and I'm a hard worker. I am diligent and committed but I've not been able to lose this weight despite everything, and I've got to. I've just got to, so I can have a really great few more decades as healthily and happily as possible. I need the band. I need this assistance. This is my brain not even on full pre-op diet yet -- I think it is quite the roller coaster. And like you, I think PMS may be at play. That's a whole other conversation, the worries about LB placement coinciding with my period. What else can I think up to worry about in these weeks prior to surgery? I'm going to try to let myself be at peace about the decision and just shed whatever I can in advance.

You are going to do beautifully. Know that you are not alone and that many best wishes are being sent your way!

Going on cruises is not an issue. You are thinking about how you will miss the food. It's not about food anymore with the band. Its about enjoying time with family and friends without needing to eat. Its time to rethink that enjoyment does not have to involve food anymore. I go on vacation and I enjoy myself with my husband and I enjoy the things that I could not do before. Enjoy life now not food.

I agree I went camping and it wasn't about the food it was about the woods! I had a blast because I wasn't wondering what I was going to eat I was wondering what I was hunting. :-)

My fiancé told me a phrase that stuck with me...it wasn't towards me but I liked it...we all need to eat to live not live to eat.....it makes sense too

You will be fine! I was scared to death of the surgery but I had a great support system. I got banded mid feb 2013 and have lost 60 lbs so far. Have not hit my green zone yet, but I'm sure I will get there. Have gone from a size 26/28 to a 18. Hope you have a good support system, you can do it!

HI there, I felt exactly the same way.I thought I was having a funeral for food and beer,and I almost didn't go to the hospital the day of surgery.luckily my daughters talked me into facing my fear and accepting that I hadn to have it done. I can eat very well and you will be able to.you don't leave the hospital tightened up.you will be able to tell your dr if you want a fill. it doesn't happen overnight.I eat pretty much anything I want.dont worry you will do fine. good luck

Cold feet before any commitment is totally normal. you are basically going into a marriage...with your band! You will be able to eat, trust me, just not as much or the way you used to. And you won't miss it. I don't because instead of mourning not being able to gorge at buffets, I am thinking about the outfits I now get to wear, or how I don't have to hide behind people in pictures. I too have several vacations planned coming up and I can't wait to go shopping and enjoy running around and swimming and hiking with my family =)