Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today, I was put on acid reflux medicine. :/ I used to never have this problem until about 2 months ago. I've had my band for a year now. The only time that I have reflux is if I eat something right before I go to bed. Other than that, I don't have any problems. My doctors tell me that this is normal for lap band patients and I should not be eating 2 hours prior to going to bed. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I have it checked for a possible slip?

Heartburn and acid reflux are very different, the biggest being that reflux causes stomach acid to back up into the esophagus above the band.

I have known of a lot of band people who have harmless heartburn but acid reflux is not harmless nor is it "normal" with the band. It's actually pretty dangerous and can lead to some severe band erosion.

If I were in your shoes and were having reflux rather than just heartburn, I would insist the doctor figure out the cause so it can be treated and stopped. It's way to risky with the band.

Best wishes.

WOW! Sounds like we are in the same shoes! I have been banded for about a year and a half. I have been doing great...no issues...until about 3 weeks ago I was getting bad acid reflux at night with a night cough. I went last week and my dr took some out. He wanted to send me for an xray but I have not gone. I have had another bad night of acid reflux so I am going to go back in and get a bit more taken out and go for the xray. This really stinks!! I know that when I have the acid reflux it is usually because I eat late and don't wait long enough to go to bed. It is hard with a full time job and going to eh gym etc. Good luck!

Today, I was put on acid reflux medicine. :/ I used to never have this problem until about 2 months ago. I've had my band for a year now. The only time that I have reflux is if I eat something right before I go to bed. Other than that, I don't have any problems. My doctors tell me that this is normal for lap band patients and I should not be eating 2 hours prior to going to bed. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I have it checked for a possible slip?

Acid reflux is the beginning of "band issues" never cover up the REAL problem with Acid Reflux medicine...PPI's.

.yes Acid reflux medication will "help" manage your reflux...but with ": onset new Lap band reflux" this is an early warning of something is wrong...if you are regurgitating food back up into your nose and "vomit" in your mouth while sleeping.... You need to remove a little saline ..ALONG with Acid reflux meds...also your surgeon needs to check your band...pouch size with an Upper GI.

Lap band reflux is totally DIFFERENT than the reflux you had BEFORE you got the band and should never be ignored or masked with Acid medication alone, most of the time you need a small unfill.

Your choice, your band, your money -- getting a new band, or removal can get very expensive, it's best to take care of problems before they get severe.

Good luck

I had the problem, as most people do with the lap band.....I found I could not eat anytime near bedtime, and I had to give up on the hot-spicey foods I used to eat...it's one thing to eat something spicy hot and have it diluted in your large stomach...it's another thing to have it concentrated and UN-diluted in a small area...

I even have to tell them to make my Bloody Mary's a little mild....

Again, another practical lesson learned and lifestyle change....have not had any reflux problems in over 2 years now.

I've heard lap band nurses call this 'old band syndrome' which obviously isn't a real medical term but it's something they see quite often. Basically, the longer you have the lap band the more it begins to 'sag' a little at the top. It's not quite the same as a dilation. It's more just the stomach region above the band relaxing. Anyway, the best way to combat this is to just avoid eating too close to bed time. For me 2 hours is usually sufficient.