Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'twas The Night Before my Sleeve Plication Surgery

What a grea post!! My wife and I are having plication with Dr.Ortiz Feb 13th. Your post sure helps ease the nerves :)

The. chicken broth at the Marroitt is obscenely salty. I brought small packets of miso Soup and bought juices to drink. Best of luck to you both! Linda

It's my one month anniversary! I am so excited that I am finally doing something about my health that is working! I have lost 16 pounds since the surgery but don't judge that lightly. I have a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and PCOS ( poly cystic ovaries). Both diagnoses made it impossible for me to lose weight in the past because my diet had to be extremely restricted to lose even small amounts of weight. I resigned myself to be happy with losing 5 pounds a month with this surgery (and maybe that will still happen) but #16 in the first month!! I did minimal exercise so that will be phase 2 for me. I have good energy and have resumed my 12 hour a day schedule which is very physical. Right now I still drink a Protein shake daily (over many hours) which has all my Vitamins in it (called Alive from Whole Foods). I eat a hard boiled egg in the morning which fills me way up for a few hours. For dinner I can eat 2-3 oz of fish or chicken (cut up and chewed very well). Then an hour or so later I have some steamed squash or even a small russet potatoe. I eat a cup of yogurt or 1/2 cup of keifer in the afternoon too. I stay pretty full and haven't had any trouble with hunger (unless I go more than 3-4 hours with nothing.) When I'm hungry, just a few spoonfuls is enough. So I'm currently feeling VERY restricted.

I have learned one thing. If I drink within a half hour of eating, I can get hungry again. So, I actually look at the clock to determine when I can drink again. I wait a whole hour.

The one thing I did that I'm tremendously happy about is that I took a few months before the surgery and genuinely dieted. I lost 19 pounds, so when I hit a two week plateau, which usually makes me give up the diet, it was time for surgery. I think I gave myself a big head start both physically and mentally.

So, sitting here one month later I'm down half a shoe size, two dress sizes and of course two cup sizes and I still can't believe I did it!

Wow it's 1am and I can't sleep- so excited for my surgery with Dr. Ortiz on Tuesday. I have 50lbs to lose - and I mean forever. I can't take this weight anymore...your posts are so encouraging. Every now and again I ask my self "what the he'll are you doing" and I turn to posts like these that are so encouraging that say "everything will be ok" ....any last min recommendations or suggestions from you experiences ?

I am passing on the recommendation for Gas-X. I also found it comforting to have a heating pad over my incisions when I was sitting or laying down.

Great to read this! I am 2 weeks post sorgery from Dr. Ortiz and I lost 13 pounds already. Still having no phyisical hunger. I am also pleased at the progress so far.

134&Happy- How are you feeling? Hope all is well!! Good luck on this journey.

Hi everyone back in Miami. I wrote a beautiful long email overnight on thurs bc of course I was still on east coast time but I fell asleep and it was deleted. Sorry...hehe.

Ok so here I go...I have a low bmi. I started Jan 2012 at 5'3 188/190. I have tried everything...my dedication and passion for working out is unwavering until something happened and I can't explain it...no one can. In 2006 I weigh 160 and I looked great even though 134 is my perfect weight or well my dream #. I had an amazing trainer but finances and + the death of my grandmother spiraled me upwards until I could no longer look back. The best years with the most grandiose moments I spent so miserable about my weigh. In 2009 after some of my greatest professional accomplishments I laid in a hotel pool w 3 friends. 2 of which had come back from Colombia from Lipo, 1 which had gastric plication from a dr.sales puccini then lipo. He would not perform lipo unless she lost weight. They looked unbelievable frolicking in bikinis. I was sooo envious but happy for them. We went to a pizza place after and I'll never forget it...she could barely eat half a slice meanwhile I thought I was being modest with just 2. At the time bariatric surgery was an obscene notion.

Years passed I dieted, went back to my trainer, did cross fit, paleo diets, saw homeopathic dr's for what I thought was a hormone problem, gyno for pcos, cardiologist for heart, endocrinologist for diabetes, nutritionist for diet...nothing...all came back negative. No pcos thyroid problem cholesterol or diabetes...wtf!!! Am I the only human to defy the law of thermogenics...the lowest I got was 175 and I though I rocked 175...190 creeped back up. So this past summer while laying on a beach in puerto Rico in a rolly Polly bathing suit I was DONE...I vowed to do whatever it took 134 in 2012 is my goal this is my year to make magic and personal happiness mine. I wasn't even sure where to start. But I prayed and just let God know my health first and he would lead the way. The first week of Feb one of my three friends the one that had gone for lipo but no plication told me she had gained weight and then some that the Colombian dr. Was in town doing consults and she was going no matter what the 1st week of March. I ran and made an appt. I was a week out from seeing him and I started doing research to formulate questions. This dr does not call it plication rather branded the procedure his own name. So I started researching and I mean fero

oops battery died...as i was saying. I started researching ferosciouly. I couldn't find a whole lot on Dr. Puccini-Sales all i had was the evidence of my friends and their overwhelming success. BTW the original friend that had plication/lipo, had a baby a year after her plication and she had a healthy beautiful baby and bounced right back to her thin weight after giving birth, they actually had to photo shop her baby bump it was so small. i digress, other friends went after her and they too look like bombshells but going to colombia to baranquilla didn't appeal to me and i did not like that i could not find posts on Puccini Sales, not on the bariatric times, or public state posting, nothing. The proof was in the pudding, but i wasn't convinced and the price although similar to what i ended up paying at the OCC + or Minus was about the same. I researched Dr. Ortiz and OCC, i was pretty convinced even though i not one to fall for many marketing tools which they use many, nonetheless the decision was made. I was going to go in March for the sake of combining it with another trip, but after things kinda of fell apart from the perspective of company going with me, my friend who had gastric bypass over 10 years ago went with me. i booked the week before valentines day and was scheduled for the 15th. Tijuana was hard to roll off the tongue, i don't recommend you tell too many people but your closest confidants because you will get an ear full about Tijuana, everyone has an opinion, yet no one has gone or can provide evidence outside their perception.

so i flew on Vday, started my liquid diet Friday before going. Which to be frank i didn't mind, i was zoo busy i hardly had time to pay attention. flying from the east coast is a bit of a pain, there are no direct flights, but VIRGIN AMERICA was amazing, every time we made it to the gate it was already boarding, seamless. when we arrived finally in San Diego, the van to from the OCC was already there. on time and ready. I speak spanish and it was nice conversation. Everything the OCC does is perfectly choreographed. From the moment you meet the driver at SAN to the moment you end you journey and drive home. I don't want to ruin the experience for you but trust me its funny. The marriott was great, really clean and safe. Lots of security in the lobby and you cannot enter the floor of your guest room without a key. The room was very clean and comfortable. The duvets are white which i prefer at hotels. there is not dates coverall. The bellman gave me instructions for ordering room service bc everything in my OCC diet is included. broth, popsicles. They know what you need and are ready. My friend who ate regular food as well found the prices to be VERY affordable. No meal from room service was more than $12 with tip. The bellman even scheduled the wake up call. The shower was very clean and the bath products are Bath and Body Works. It does not feel like a hotel outside of the states. Marriott brand standards are very well kept. In the morning i was the first one in. Everything started at 7am, bloodwork, nutritionist, cardiologist, the works...and from the reception to the nursing staff, everyone is EXTREMELY attentive, loving, caring and nurturing. The walk you step by step through every single little thing they do to you and for you. I was taken back though, i don't know what i was thinking but i did not expect to stay overnight. I though i would leave the night of surgery back to the marriott, but you actually stay there. The room is everything they post online. EXTREMELY clean, nice duvets, a calming little Water thing on the side of your bed and free calls to the US. Without as much as question. Wifi is there in the center throughout. I went into my room and they had to give me a sedative, i was pretty hysterical. But once that kicked in my friend and i met with the surgeons, from the General Medical Dr. to Dr. Martinez and Dr. Ortiz. They have UNREAL bedside manners, they talk so much with you and address every concern. To the point that my friend and i were in shock because it was at least 30min in the room just talking and talking. I went into surgery very very calm, i lay on that black surgical bed, i was so calm. The anesthesiologist was wonderful and Dr. Ortiz said CIAO! I woke up in my bed with my friend next to me. No pain. Just very thirsty. I spoke to my family and everything was ok. visiting hours ends at 4pm. my friend was taken back to the marriott and she felt very safe. Also, getting into the OCC is no small feat. They don't open the door even for food delivery. My friend ordered food while i was in surgery, there was a delivery selection book.

Overnight, i walked a lot. It just felt better. As soon as i got up there was the nurse. I cannot account accurately how ofter or how many times but there were two overnight nurses and one overnight general doctor.

They took my temperature, kept my IV always refreshed and constantly monitored my meds. There was never a moment when i questioned where they were or if they had remembered me...i mean unreal the service. Constantly at my call. Although thank goodness i didn't need them. Walking is vital. It helps so much with the gases which is the main source of pain or rather angst. I was up very often but not because of pain simply discomfort. I DO NOT recommend you drink anything or ask for ice. as soon as i sipped on ice and threw it back up and it was not pretty. you don't need it my IV was running and changed so ofter i knew i was hydrated. The morning came, they finished monitoring my med, asked questions, the surgeons came in and checked on me again, spent quite some time again at least 45min this time talking and talking. I was released probably around noon, but not before i was checked with an X-ray machine for leaks and digestion track. I went back to the hotel and just showered, rested and tried to take down anything i could. I walked a lot, i would force myself to do at least 5-6 rounds sometimes ten around the entire floor with my friend. We went down by the hotel pool and took in some fresh air, walked around again and just relaxed. I did not like the broth at the marriott, i was thankful that i packed some ramon noodle packs, i would add hot water from a tea order on the flight or even at the hotel. You can barely take down half a cup. I recommend you pack Gatorade, electrolyte water and packs of ramon noodles even though you will only have the broth. i like mine hot so the room temp broths were not my thing. The meds i bough at the OCC were great. I did not need pain meds even though i bough the sublinguals. The anti-acid is great and the naseau has gone unopened - i had ZERO naseau the entire time. Friday i went back to the OCC for one last check up, even though it was not included they welcomed me and gave me one more look on the Xray, since i live clear across the US it is not easy to get back here nor do i feel comfortable going to a bariatric surgeon in Miami that has neither performed the surgery or knows what they are looking for. I did tell the dr. that the pangs or discomfort from eating and drinking which feels like fireworks are going off in your tummy whenever you eat something was driving me crazy he gave me a small pill that i took a box home. It helps with the stomach muscle spasms which i think is what they were. I will be back in 6mos for my endoscopy and to enjoy everything i missed out on in Tijuana and San Diego. The trip back i booked FIRST CLASS, if your flight is more than 1-2hrs, i highly recommend this. Although you will have a very small amount of discomfort really from the external larascopic sutures, you want need and deserve the care and comfort of not waiting-every dime i spent on first class back on the red eye was worth it. I am back home, i have slept for hours and hours, I've taken very little down, i can't even count. Powerade, electrolyte water, grandma's life saving broth (she claims it can bring the dead back to life lol) and i went to whole foods. I bought some organic popsicles, stocked up on my keffir yogurt for the week and i also purchased a green food supplement that has Probiotics and lots of Vibrant Health and Green Vibrance. It has 25 million probiotics from 12 strains. I have been adding a little bit at a time to my broth. Nothing worries me more than nutrition right now. I think it will be key to my success but also in not becoming a small version of a heavy girl. I want to be healthy, vibrant, frisky and fun. Knowing that i have this secret tool that is going to get me to where i want to be forever. So i have been taking my meds religiously, i have only taken 2 small pills that help with the spasms. the only think i wish is i could gulp down a big fat cold glass of water but thats not the case you can only sip and you WILL feel is hit you stomach. EVERY DROP. I am thrilled with my decision, the choice i have made because it is the key to my long term health. I plan on resting tonight and tomorrow a lot, need to get back to work on Monday, and thank goodness it is a holiday and things will be slow. I do work in my own office so i know i can close the door if anything happens but i know everything will be fine. The nutritionist recommends a min of 3days on Clear Liquids, i am going the full 7 days so that i heal well. yogurt and hearty Soups from whole foods will hopefully start on Wed. I bought some veg based Protein Powder since it might be softer on my tummy in the beginning with almond milk and berries. Lets see just one step and one day at a time but planning ahead. Also, my dreams are soo fun and vivid, all i dream about is shopping for new clothes and funny things i have wanted to do for a while. Its as if psychologically and subconsciously i am preparing for the changes that lie ahead. I can't go back to my trainer for another 3weeks but i plan on doing some slow long distance walking on Monday night - trust me it helps A LOT with the gas. Ok this is all for now, i hope this post helps because when i was soul searching online i could not find a whole lot. not sure how ofter i will dedicate to updates but i will do my best. If you are in search of a decision i promise you i made the right one with occ so far everything was better than expected. My friend that went to see the colombian doctor also changed her mind and is going with a Dr. Kelly in mexico next week. I will have her post as well so that she can offer a contrast and options. I know OCC is not the only once in mexico and i a sure that there are other qualified dr"s that offer the same great care. I don't mean to boast in anyway in my post and i apologize if i offended anyone in any fashion, i am just happy and on a high with the decision i made. I have not weighed my self but i assume i must be at 170 by now...36 healthy pounds to GO! Cheers to loving yourself beyond that which you thought possible. With all of my love and encouragement....134andHAPPY! :D

On my two month anniversary I wanted to give an update and share some of my experiences. Month 2 was very different than month one. The lesson I learned was that if I want this journey to result in weight loss, I'm going to have to DIET. I might have secretly hoped that this surgery was magical and that the gastric plication gods would bestow upon me a brand new body in a matter of weeks but I knew better. The first month was easy weight loss as i couldn't get over 700 calories a day while only drinking or eating soft food. After 6 weeks I could eat more regular food. The surgeon told me that I would only be able to eat 2-4 oz at a time and he was right. I do feel hungry every 2-3 hours and that requires more calories. I was stuck at 213 for about two weeks so I decided to track my calories with the myfitnesspal app. OMG, mystery solved, I was eating/drinking 1600+ calories a day and more (who knew alcohol was 70 cal an ounce and Protein Bars can be 300 cal each). When you eat small amounts, they can add up! I moved the scale down 5.5# within 5 days by making better choices and staying under 1200 calories. Do I feel restricted? YES. Do I feel deprived? NO. Do people I eat with know I'm different? NO. Do I feel normal? YES. Do I miss my old stuff-your-face lifestyle? NO. Do I exercise? NO. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY! I can eat everything but to give you an example of restriction, I can only eat 1/2 to 3/4 of a lean cuisine entree, depending on the density but I can eat almost a whole can of clam chowder Soup. I can only eat 3 pieces of a sushi roll and if I wait 20 minutes I can eat a fourth. I can drink as much as I want (just not with food) and a half bottle of Water will take away my hunger for 30-45 minutes, sometimes more. When I feel really, really hungry, it usually means I need to burp. 5 hours without food is my limit, so I have to plan accordingly. Watching other people eat large quantities of food does not make me wish for my old stomach back, it makes me ill. So, grand total I've lost 42 pounds, 22 since the surgery two months ago. For me, the plication allows me to DIET comfortably. In the past 1200 calories would have been serious deprivation, today, 1200 calories is comfortable. They say you shouldn't diet, you should make a lifestyle change. I feel this surgery allowed me to make a lasting lifestyle change.

Linda love to hear your story! Congrats on the weight loss! Day 10 for me...

I loved your post about your journey too! You are an excellent writer! Keep it up! Linda