Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the secret?

Ok , so I had my plication done at the age of 39. I turned 40 in May of 2011 this was supposed to be my birthday present to myself, I look at some of the members profile and most of you are not telling your age ,Why or why not? Does it matter if we know your age? The reason I ask is that I want to know if this is a middle life crises like my husband calls it, LOL. Why didn’t we do this before when we were younger like in the 30’s or before? I ask myself this all the time.B)

I'm almost 36! I hope this isn't midlife for me :) For me financially this wouldn't have been possible when I was younger. Also I think I have just ran out of patience. When I was younger I always believed I could try harder, work out more, eat better. I had hope! Now I am just sick and tired of waiting for my weight problem to be resolved. I want to be thin while I am still young enough to enjoy it :)

Yep, I know what you mean,I started dieting when I was a teen,I tried it all and I lost the wieght but it would came right back after I stop the diet.I got so tired of it.

I'm 38 although I was banded at 28. I knew that I didn't want RNY so I had to wait until there was a different type of WLS available. 10 years ago the sleeve wasn't widely available either because, if it was, I may have chosen that route. I definitely don't think it's a mid-life crisis type thing but I think my husband is feeling a bit jealous over my weight loss and my new *look* even though I lost 110 lbs. with the band before. I'm not sure why my weight loss is bringing up these emotions in him. Hopefully, we'll work through any insecurities because I'm planning on having plastic surgery in December!! :)

Take care,

I investigated weight loss procedures two-three years ago (age 33-34). All the stories I was beginning to see with long-term band patients made me cautious. The complications made the cost outlay seem similar to VSG if a person had to have a second procedure, if not much more costly to have revisions. If I'd had the money available to me then, I would have went with the VSG. (I have the health insurance with a 4K out of pocket expense before it picks up anything, plus all the bariatric exclusions then). I waited and tried yet another time to exercise and eat properly. Yet again, I wasn't able to control the eating part of the equation.

I'm not even sure I realized you could add age info when I signed up back in May of this year. I was really more interested in the experience others were having before I committed to this procedure. I was on here a lot. I even got a message from Alex the moderator to stop lurking and post something.

I'm 38 although I was banded at 28. I knew that I didn't want RNY so I had to wait until there was a different type of WLS available. 10 years ago the sleeve wasn't widely available either because, if it was, I may have chosen that route. I definitely don't think it's a mid-life crisis type thing but I think my husband is feeling a bit jealous over my weight loss and my new *look* even though I lost 110 lbs. with the band before. I'm not sure why my weight loss is bringing up these emotions in him. Hopefully, we'll work through any insecurities because I'm planning on having plastic surgery in December!! :)

Take care,

I was thinking I would have my arms and boobs done (surprisingly, my stomach has come back nicely even though it was my problem area while I was at my highest weight), but I think at this point I'm a little afraid to have any more elective surgeries. Maybe sometime in the future. I am proud/envious for you though, just too chicken to go back through more elective things at this point..my recent hospital stay and one of the stories I read over on the Thinner Times board has made me want to avoid elective surgeries for awhile. I do want to hear how it goes with you though...I want to vicariously share the experience if you don't mind...because I might get over this and I don't know anyone else who has personally had these things done. You can be our plastics guru/guinea pig on this board. ;) Please share your stories, experiences and success-I'm rooting for you!

I am 31. I have had a few aunts recently get lap band in their early and mid 40's. I thought to myself..."I know this is a big financial burden for my young family, but I don't want to wait until I am 40, and then wish I had done something sooner." My Husband and I decided that we could drive older cars, and put some yard/landscaping projects and new shed on hold for my health and well-being. No regrets! I had my 3rd and final baby in August 2010. then had plication March 9th 2011.

I had my plication at age 34. I got it done right when I hit BMI 30 after having yo-yoed back after reaching goal with WW a couple of years before.

I decided that I just couldn't keep yo-yoing (was at goal with WW about 15 years ago too). I just couldn't face yet another diet.

Sadly my plication hasn't worked and I'm pretty much where I started pre-surgery minus ~$10,000 (by the time I add in flights and hotels). My husband wouldn't have let me spend this sort of money if he hadn't seen me make an earnest attempt with diet and exercise first. He could see that all the weighing, counting and working out for 2 hours on a work day (4 hours weekends) just wasn't sustainable.

The balance for the cost of my plication is due in the next few weeks, so once that's paid I'm seriously going to look into some sort of revision.

I had my plication at age 34. I got it done right when I hit BMI 30 after having yo-yoed back after reaching goal with WW a couple of years before.

I decided that I just couldn't keep yo-yoing (was at goal with WW about 15 years ago too). I just couldn't face yet another diet.

Sadly my plication hasn't worked and I'm pretty much where I started pre-surgery minus ~$10,000 (by the time I add in flights and hotels). My husband wouldn't have let me spend this sort of money if he hadn't seen me make an earnest attempt with diet and exercise first. He could see that all the weighing, counting and working out for 2 hours on a work day (4 hours weekends) just wasn't sustainable.

The balance for the cost of my plication is due in the next few weeks, so once that's paid I'm seriously going to look into some sort of revision.

I totally understand how you feel,I'm the same way ,but to me another surgery, it scary's me.So I'm not thinking about any surgery right now.

I totally understand how you feel,I'm the same way ,but to me another surgery, it scary's me.So I'm not thinking about any surgery right now.

Hey Lena,

How are you doing these days? You've been on my mind lately. Hope all is well..just haven't heard from you in awhile! :)

CC