Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I see I am new here and would like some help making my final decision. I have just over 130 pounds to loose and would like to try the gps. I was on the sleeve sute and NO one seems to be very supportive of the gps. I would like to hear from some people who have had the gps. Any information would be great.

I had the Plication surgery on March 7th and have lost 30 lbs so far, which includes what I lost on the preop diet. I chose the GPS because, after researching it, I felt it would be the safest one, it was less, expensive, there were no food restrictions, and, emotionally, I liked the idea of not rearranging my insides or removing part of my stomach. The drawbacks that I had read about were that 1. The hunger producing hormone (ghrelin) part of the stomach was not removed, so there was a risk of continued hunger and 2. the weight loss was slower. I had heard that ghrelin was only produced if your stomach was empty, that the pressure of food on the sides of your stomach stopped its production. Therefore, if you kept your stomach full with small amounts of food that took a while to move through your system, then you wouldn't be hungry. This sounded reasonable to me. However, I will say, now that I've had the surgery, that I've had much more hunger than I would like. I usually get hungry again 1 1/2 to 2 hours after I eat which causes me to eat more frequently throughout the day and, consequently, take in more calories. As far as the slower weight loss is concerned, I lost 13lbs during my one week preop diet, then have lost 17 lbs in the 9 weeks since. That's 1.9 lbs per week. Although many people are losing faster with other surgeries and even the Plication, 2 lbs a week is nothing to get too upset about! That would be 104 lbs in a year and I would LOVE that! But I will also say that I could do a LOT better on getting more exercise and reducing my carbs and my calories. I think my weight loss would be faster if I did those things.

Anyway, I don't know if that helps any on your decision making. Good luck no matter what you decide!

FatToPhat summed up my sentiments well, pretty much everything below goes for me too.

I had the Plication surgery on March 7th and have lost 30 lbs so far, which includes what I lost on the preop diet. I chose the GPS because, after researching it, I felt it would be the safest one, it was less, expensive, there were no food restrictions, and, emotionally, I liked the idea of not rearranging my insides or removing part of my stomach. The drawbacks that I had read about were that 1. The hunger producing hormone (ghrelin) part of the stomach was not removed, so there was a risk of continued hunger and 2. the weight loss was slower. I had heard that ghrelin was only produced if your stomach was empty, that the pressure of food on the sides of your stomach stopped its production. Therefore, if you kept your stomach full with small amounts of food that took a while to move through your system, then you wouldn't be hungry. This sounded reasonable to me. However, I will say, now that I've had the surgery, that I've had much more hunger than I would like. I usually get hungry again 1 1/2 to 2 hours after I eat which causes me to eat more frequently throughout the day and, consequently, take in more calories. As far as the slower weight loss is concerned, I lost 13lbs during my one week preop diet, then have lost 17 lbs in the 9 weeks since. That's 1.9 lbs per week. Although many people are losing faster with other surgeries and even the Plication, 2 lbs a week is nothing to get too upset about! That would be 104 lbs in a year and I would LOVE that! But I will also say that I could do a LOT better on getting more exercise and reducing my carbs and my calories. I think my weight loss would be faster if I did those things.

Anyway, I don't know if that helps any on your decision making. Good luck no matter what you decide!

I have yet to have the surgery. I am day two of the pre-op diet (YEAH). I can tell you that I felt very similar to you. My journey for this type of WLS started a year ago. I was scheduled to have it done last August, but cancelled because I just wanted more info. Unfortunately, these websites are excellent for hearing people's stories, but a poor place for facts. There are some excellent research papers about GSP done by the Cleveland Clinic. They were very informative and good to read. Ultimately between these educational papers and a brother (a doctor) who has talked me back off from the ledge, gave me the strength to follow through with the surgery. If your like me, don't believe everything you here and do your own research. You have to do what you are comfortable with and realize that all of the surgeries have risks.

I too am trying to decide :/

My GP raved on and on about plication and sent me to two different surgeons to discuss it. The first surgeon wasn't confident and has only done one so wouldn't do it. The second doesn't want to do it to someone young in case it doesn't work. Surgeon 2 recommended bypass which my doc then agreed with.

But I don't want a bypass, I want plication! The risks with bypass are too high for me - mortality, dumping syndrome, staple leaks, and smelly gas. I don't want that.

Not sure whether to insist on plication :(

Has anyone else had plication when their doc recommended something else? My age is the only issue the surgeon has.

I am a banded plication and have been SO happy with my results so far. I had a lap band placed in 2001, lost about 110 pounds but it took me about 3 and a half years. I had two successful pregnancies with the band but after our daughter was born I had a slipped band. After many, many fills and unfills I opted for the plication with the band. My band is completely empty and I plan on never filling it. You can read more about my journey on my blog in my signature. Ps my procedure was covered by my insurance.

I had the surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico the end of March. So far I couldn't be happier. I'm down 45 lbs with very little exercise yet and feel great. It's amazing how little u need to eat to feel full. Takes some getting used to...but I agree, I do feel somewhat hungry every couple hrs but I think that's good because it gets your metabolism moving. I have a friend that had bypass and suffers daily with side effects..he can't keep anything down after two years.