Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Scared - Something is going wrong - HELP PLEASE

My weight loss has been stagnant, so I visited the doctor. A new, extemely pleasant, caring physician helped me. He said his fill would be .2-.3 cc - I beged for the latter.

He gave it to me. And I am REALLY restricted. mostly liquied, but if I chew really really good, I can tolerate about 3 tablespoons of Beans, or Cereal, or salad.

I'm grumpy, about not being able to eat, but excited that I can't at the same time

THE PROBLEM

Two nights ago at about 1:30 I woke up, and was drowining in Fluid in my esophogus. I went to the bathroom and threw up this <b>thin, clear, sweet yet EXTREMELY acidy fluid.</b>

I went back to bed and was fine.

The next night, more aware, same thing, earlier on, but all night I struggled to sleep feeling stuff in my throat.

Last night I took my anti seizure medication in tiny fragments (in case that was doing it) over a period of one hour, with Water, No food 3 hours prior to sleeping, and I sleep sitting up. I was uncomfortable, but no acid puke.

I don't want to sleep sitting up. Have I puked too much in the past and ruined my diaphram, or my valve? I want to sleep lying flat, but it feels like somethings wrong - any ideas...suggestions????

HELP

Hi,

I think you need an unfill - I've heard about people having these problems before and a small unfill helped.

I'm not an experienced bandster but hopefully one will be along soon to offer you some advice.

Yvonne

x

I've been toying with that as well.

But I keep thinking if I can just keep this up long enough, the band will become loser with weight loss and I won't need to unfill.

I'm struggling with feelings that I will fail yet again, and an unfill makes me feel even moreso.

And then I think - what if it doesn't work - what if I've damaged myself and even an unfill won't work. Then it will be harder to lose weight, as well as having GERD.

I had the fill on Monday and it's now Saturday - the symptoms started Wednesday night. I'm really torn.

My_o_My,

NOTE: I'm new, so I am really asking so I understand, not because I've been there done that..

Before this fill, what did a day look like for you? I am speaking of calories in the mouth.. Also, did you drink liquids with meals? (I am worried about this for myself).

Most of us got here with either just bad eating habits, or more serious conditions (food addictions, chemical/hormone balance issues, etc). Those issues don't just go away with the installation of the band. I found out the hard way yesterday when I got wrapped up in the hustle of a busy day and popped something in my mouth, didn't chew well, and then in 2 mins was in the bathroom for a PB.

Also, I've exchanged messages with other people who seemed so "afraid of failure" but in fact, they were subconsciously causing the failure because they were in fact "afraid to succeed" and very accustomed to "failing".

You could be a bit tight but you could be swollen and irritated. After a fill it takes me close to a week to get back to my normal eating pattern. If I pb or regurgitate at all I go back a step for the next meal and try again- for me that seems to work. You do need to speak to your doctor though as you are at rsk of inhaling that stuff in your sleep- not eating for 3hours before bed time is a sensible idea.

Fo some of us it is a fine line between restrction and over fill. Don't panic if you have an unfill- the whole idea of the band is that it can be adjusted according to need. I fyour Doctor thinks that your problems are being made worse because everything is really irritated he may unfll it partly or completely, give you a few days for everything to setle down then refll you. When you are reflled you will know what cause the problems to start and can modify what and how you are eating until you get used to it again.

you can and will get through this

I'll try not to feel so stigmatized. My doctor is at least an hour and a half from me in GOOD traffic, and I work every day except thursday next week (his is in surg on Thursdays) - so I'm not certain it's even an option for an unfill.

Waiting another week - do you think it would be ok?

What I have done in this sort of situation is go back to fluids for 1 to 2 days, then gradually increase to mushy, and then more solid food. I f you can't swallow fluids you need to see Dr, if you keep waking in the night with a gullet full of Fluid you need to speak to Dr. Like Jack said, I think you have some inflammation at the moment and that it should improve. Are you able to speak to your Dr over the phone??

Be very very careful if you can't get a little bit of an unfill. A friend of mine had the same situation, but she began to aspirate the Fluid into her lungs and became very very sick with pneumonia. It isn't worth that because she almost died!! Do what you can to get a little unfill if it doesn't resolve itself!!!

It sounds like too tight....my own fills tend to kick in several days to a week post fill....and then I'm tight, not as much as this, but close a couple times....

You should call your doctor if this continues too long....and you are the only one who can tell 'too long'....

My bet is this is temporary inflammation and swelling of the soft tissue.

Please keep us posted.

I completely agree with Jack. If you absolutely can't get an unfill, you must do everything you can to soothe the inflammation and let the swelling go down. STICK TO liquids AND VERY SOFT MUSHIES FOR A WEEK, or more if necessary. Take an antacid, prescription if possible -- one of those one-a-day things like Prevacid that you take for a while (as opposed to Rolaids). Drink aloe vera juice and live on Protein drinks, try to avoid coffee if you can. sleep in an upright position if possible--a comfortable reclining chair is great for this. When I've had bad reflux, sleeping in a recliner is really almost as good as bed...better, in fact, because I was able to sleep.< /p>

If these measures don't improve the situation you really do have to go for an unfill. Aspiration pneumonia is a very real possibility, but so is damage to your esophagus from constant irritation.

I once had this go on for a month and when I finally had an unfill the relief was immediate. At the same time I had an endoscopy, and though I had esophagitis everything was fine with my band. So don't worry too much but DO be aware that you have to let your internal system heal up.

Good luck!

OK you guys - THANK YOU so much!

I don't want to fiddle around with my physical health, but know my access to my physician is limited, and if not absolutely crucial I'd like to stick it out for a short period.

I HAVE totally been drinking coffee which I will stop, and I will also go back to purely Protein and Water, and sleep sitting up.

I think with some slight weight loss, good nutrition, solid food restriction, positioning so as not to aspirate, I can stick it out another week. First full week in March I work only two days, and so if it continues, I can see my physician.

I am thankful for your support, and will use the unfill if necessary and not feel bad about it.

:clap2:I am so glad this forum exists. I haven't been able to be as involved as I might related to work - however, it is my ONLY support, other than my sister - and I am very thankful!

I had acid reflux briefly that sounds alot like what you had. I did the not eating before bed thing and it stopped, but not right away. Took awhile.

You need an unfill. I had a fill of .6 and I went through the same symptons. I went two weeks where I could drink about 2 oz of liquid or about 2 bites of food. I had two sensations, I was hungry or when I did try to eat I was nauseous. I lost 15 pounds in 8 days. When I went to get my unfill that they put in before I was dehydrated and advised to go home and eat and drink plenty of food and Water to get myself healthy again. I would call your doctor asap and get some of your fill taken out.

Dieta

Until you see the doc, make sure you drink PLENTY of Water. I would do what so many others have suggested, liquids for a few days, then mushies, then solids. Aloe juice may taste bad but it works, it soothes the throat quickly. (make sure it's really cold) If you want to give it a week or so, go ahead but don't wait months, I did that and it only stalled my weightloss and caused me more pain and misery than nessary. My weightloss stalled, when I finally gave in and went for an unfill the doc said I was putting my band at risk by being too tight. He believes that increases the chance of erosion. A slight unfill may be what you need, or giving your throat and pouch a rest may do the trick. Take care of yourself. ~Mandy

Yep,

I concur with everyone else. I would be at the Doctor's office as soon as possible for a slight unfill and then would do liquids for a couple of days.

I don't think I would play with anything like this. A two hour drive, to me, is worth the ablity to sleep comfortably and to know that everything in okay inside of me. If I was waking up choking, I would be on the phone with my fill doc immediately. I think she would be upset if I wasn't.