Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgeries!?!?!?

Hello everyone! I've been mostly in The Man Room forum on this and the Vertical Sleeve Talk support groups. My surgeon said I'd be good for the sleeve. Then my insurance overruled him' date=' so now I'm trying to look forward to an RNY. I've read you lose more with the RNY. So there's that. I saw some other guys posting here, and since my surgery date is in December, I thought I'd join in the thread. I'm probably like other guys in that my wife started looking at bariatric surgery for herself last year. But she changed her mind and looked back into WW instead. Then on a whim, I asked my PCP about it for myself and he immediately jumped on it saying it was medically necessary for me, due to my having all the co-morbidities, even though my BMI is less than 40. A week later I was accepted into the program. That was Aug 1st. I've completed all the pre-lims: met with NUTs (dietitian/nutritionist), one for insurance and one for surgeon, psych, surgeon, and case managers for insurance and surgeon. My date for surgery is now 12/31/13. I don't know why they're waiting until the end of the year. I think it's due to the holiday schedules of the surgeons. I've read your posts—your wanting it done already, and then wanting it postponed FOREVER! I can relate. I've had those mixed feelings as well. I asked my surgeon's dietitian how many have had buyers remorse after surgery. And she said “ALL OF THEM!” She added that they usually get over it before they're eating soft foods. I'm hoping for success and no more meds for those co-morbidities. Hopefully they'll be gone like my PCP and surgeon seem to think. Height 6' 1”, HW 290, CW 270, GW 190. Also, I'm at Spokane WA, (and used to PEBB (insurance contractor) as a state employee. Hello to u-no-it!)[/quote']

Welcome! :)

I like you have co morbities diabetes high blood pressure cholesterol you name it! I am hoping to get off insulin entirely!

It used to be all the co-morbidities, except type 2 diabetes. But my pre-surgery blood work revealed elevated A1C. My surgeon said that would go away completely. He and my PCP said the others should go away too, or at least improve to the point my meds can be reduced. That's why I picked the "hopingnomeds" username.

I'm hoping for the second week in Dec. Just have 1 more med superv diet appt and a sleep study for possible sleep apnea. I'm 6'0" and current weight 303 goal weight of 160. I'm getting really excited and nervous. On one hand I'm scared that the insurance will deny me' date=' on the other hand I'm scared that they will approve it and my life will be completely different when it comes to food. I do all the baking for the holiday season and all the birthdays. Honestly I love cooking/baking, its my way of relaxing. I guess I need to find another hobby. I'm 35 yrs old, wife, and a mom of 3 young boys. I know I can do this because I have been researching wls for a couple years now. It just seems so surreal now I guess. Sorry for the ramblings. Lol[/quote']

Same as me!! My last appointment with my PCP is 11/25. Also a sleep study and aiming for the 2nd week in December for surgery! I am 27 years old, wife and mother of a 1 (almost 2) year old little girl! Yiu are in the right place. Lots of support and info! Oh and Im 5'2 and seem to stay between 298-305 :/

To all!!!

It is so craY what will be changing inthe future. It is hard to believe that soon we will not be only be fighting for our health, but for our own physcial well being. It is been a battle and a battk e that we all have been going through. It has been a battle internally as we struggle at times to watch society and mm others around accept people that we are not in. We have had to bare the burnt of many jokes, jobs that pay crap, stares..etc. Here is to the fight!!

Hello everyone! I've been mostly in The Man Room forum on this and the Vertical Sleeve Talk support groups. My surgeon said I'd be good for the sleeve. Then my insurance overruled him' date=' so now I'm trying to look forward to an RNY. I've read you lose more with the RNY. So there's that. I saw some other guys posting here, and since my surgery date is in December, I thought I'd join in the thread. I'm probably like other guys in that my wife started looking at bariatric surgery for herself last year. But she changed her mind and looked back into WW instead. Then on a whim, I asked my PCP about it for myself and he immediately jumped on it saying it was medically necessary for me, due to my having all the co-morbidities, even though my BMI is less than 40. A week later I was accepted into the program. That was Aug 1st. I've completed all the pre-lims: met with NUTs (dietitian/nutritionist), one for insurance and one for surgeon, psych, surgeon, and case managers for insurance and surgeon. My date for surgery is now 12/31/13. I don't know why they're waiting until the end of the year. I think it's due to the holiday schedules of the surgeons. I've read your posts—your wanting it done already, and then wanting it postponed FOREVER! I can relate. I've had those mixed feelings as well. I asked my surgeon's dietitian how many have had buyers remorse after surgery. And she said “ALL OF THEM!” She added that they usually get over it before they're eating soft foods. I'm hoping for success and no more meds for those co-morbidities. Hopefully they'll be gone like my PCP and surgeon seem to think. Height 6' 1”, HW 290, CW 270, GW 190. Also, I'm at Spokane WA, (and used to PEBB (insurance contractor) as a state employee. Hello to u-no-it!)[/quote']

Awesome, welcome to the group. Mine is 12-30-13. I'm 6'4 404. Looking forward to the future. I'm blessed to only be suffering from sleep apnea.

So do you have any fears? (other than the typical)

What have you done to start preparing for the surgery?

-Infinity

Thanks Infinity! My fears are probably typical. But wanting to avoid such a drastic and damaging surgery, is at the top. I worry that within my lifetime a better medical/genetic approach will become as common as bariatric surgery. But on the other hand, after RNY all my parts will still be with me, not like vertical sleeve. I look forward to feeling full on a lot less, a lot sooner. My surgeon refers to our normal stomachs as grocery bags. I guess they are in that it takes a lot to fill them. My prep for surgery is mostly trying to maintain that 5% weight loss, while trying to implement the behavior changes like slowing down my eating, reducing portions, regular meals, and Fluid restrictions around meals. Also getting my head around this being medically essential for me. Believe me, if there was another, less drastic way, I'd do it instead. How about you?

I got approved today! So excited! I will most likely have a December surgery. My surgeon is still out of commission until further notice. He says it looks like he'll be healed either late November or early December. He has about 15 patients ahead of me so I'll be within 2 weeks of his return.

This has been such an emotional rollercoaster. The anxiety of waiting is starting to take a toll on me. I'm using this time to prepare myself and my family for the changes to come but I wanna be on the losers bench already. :blink:

My kids are excited now that they understand it better. Even my 5 and 7 year olds ask me when we are shopping, "Mommy can you eat that after surgery?" If I say no then they tell me not to buy it. My 17 and 11 year old were really worried about my safety. I took them to a support group meeting and they feel much better after asking tons of questions. I'm still working on my husband but I think he'll be the tough nut to crack. He's overweight as well and he's not ready to make changes yet. I have to let him have his own journey but I worry about his health also.

I'm rambling now. I haven't really commented to much to this topic because I wasn't sure about my date. Now that I have an approval I need to get better acquainted with y'all. lol.

Congratulations on your approval!!! I still have a couple of things to do and my stuff will be sent to insurance for approval it's a hurry up and wait process! :) At times I am ready for it then I think am I ready? Really ready???

Mskami congrats on your approval!!! I remember I literally cried and danced up the aisle at work!! Yay for being one HUGE step closer to the Loser's Bench!!

Yes, congrats Mskami! It's strange that this surgery is both medically necessary and elective. And HMOs not wanting to pay just compounds the hassles.