Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone

I was banded on the 10th August 2004

I need some advice on what too eat?

I have been having Soup and porridge for Breakfast.< /p>

What would you suggest to start me back on solids?

Thanks for your help in advance

Lynsey

Are you talking "mushy foods" like mashed potatoes, refried Beans or "solid foods" like grilled chicken breast, steamed vegetables? If solid foods, just about anything. Just chew, chew, chew. Proteins first (tender, juicy meats, then vegetables. Eat things that taste good and will satisfy you. Best of luck to you! :)

Cottage cheese. Do NOT eat overly dry meats. I had a chicken breast that was way too dry at that stage and it made me PB. meat loaf sounds good. A thick stew would be good. I like home made chicken salad on crackers. I ate a LOT of that the first week or so on solid foods. It is just chopped up cooked chicken, celery, olives, onion, shredded cheese, etc and mayo, mustard, lemon juice salt and pepper. Hamburger patties with no bun but all the normal toppings works good too. Quiche is good. I could go on and on. Best of luck, Teresa

I tried to have one slicce of bread with some tuna in and I vomitted for britian! oh my god how painful was that.

I think after nearly 3 weeks I will stick to mushy food for another couple of weeks!

Thanks for the replies

Sorry to hear of your first PB..they are painful I only have had it happen once and I can say I don't think it will happen again, it is something I never want to experience so I'm extra careful with the tiniest bites and I chew chew chew ....Refried Beans were a main staple for me during the mush phase...topped with chedder cheese and hot sauce and a dab of sour cream..

egg salad was also a good one for me during the mush phase..also once you hit solids..I started with dark meat chicken at first becasue it is not so dry...

Good Luck to you

the best thing to do is to CHEW CHEW CHEW !!!

take your time !

maybe have one or 2 spoonfulls then wait for about a minute - then have another 2 - y'no?

if you hicup - or your nose start running, or you get a sensation in your chest of ANY description STOP !!! and wait for at least a minute..

Remember the 20 minute rule - if you havent finished what you are eating in 20 minutes - stop eating it !

also - don't drink anything for at least 30 minutes before and after food.

Hope this helps a wee bit

Aud x

bread items will be a thing of the past for the most part. I can still have a little toast or a little bit of a muffin or something but otherwise I couldn't imagine trying to eat a sandwich. I can do tortillas slowly though. Bread was not a good starter food. Sorry about the PB. Best wishes and hope you feel better, Teresa

Originally posted by hagerteresa

Bread items will be a thing of the past for the most part. I can still have a little toast or a little bit of a muffin or something but otherwise I couldn't imagine trying to eat a sandwich. I can do tortillas slowly though. bread was not a good starter food. Sorry about the PB. Best wishes and hope you feel better, Teresa

LOL. I gave my toaster to my daughter this evening. I simply do not buy bread products at all anymore, unless it is crackers. What a relief! I do not NEED bread anymore. Who'd a thunk it? :D

Lynsey, also be sure your meat is very moist. I slimed (the first time) on some fried chicken. I know now that I should have used some type of dipping sauce. I had chewed it so well that it looked like it had been through the blender. Dry meat (even though well chewed) just compacts in there until you have a pb. I wouldn't wish that on anyone!:D

Be very weary of liquis calories. High calorie Meal Replacement will hold the fat. eggs are great yet i couldn't boiled eggs for some reason and still sometimes have a problem with those and cabbage(slaw). We are all different. Depends on time of day for me too. Supper I can eat anything with care. Breakfast slow and easy..

I did the refried Beans thing. Also, mac n' cheese was good for me, but I know some people don't do well with Pasta. But I made it extra cheesey (in the sense that I added more milk so the cheese was saucier)...

It's funny about bread. I'm sure we all tried the low carb thing at some point and just went nuts over not being able to have bread. Now we just don't have it anymore. Not much anyway.

Lynsey,

There is a real problem with people staying too long on mushies. You need to learn what YOU can eat. Apparently, not bread. Try the tuna alone. The band does not work with liquids. I met a woman who lost only ten pounds the first year, because she was afraid to vomit.

This may help:

http://www.geocities.com/lapbander/solidtips.htm

Sue

Good advise Sue. I believe that you have to try different solids to see what works for you and what doesn't. Just make sure that you start out slowly with very small bites and chew very well. If you take it slow, hopefully you will be able to tell what is working and what isn't before it gets as serious as a PB. This system has worked for me... I have only PB'd once in 6 months and that was from letting myself get too hungry and eating a salad too fast.

By the way, I wish I couldn't eat bread. Maybe I just haven't had the right restriction yet... but quite honestly I haven't found anything I couldn't eat. Let's hope my new band (less the leak) will give me proper restriction and I will have an easier time avoiding things like bread... because they will no longer be enjoyable to eat!

Good luck.