Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saskatchewan Gal

Hi Mommy 2. Have you contacted your family GP. The TLBC supplies a DVD aimed at instructing family GPS on how to do a fill and defill. My GP has never done a fill but said the DVD is excellent and he will do it for $35.00. I have heard other GPs do it free and one for $20.00.

thanks for the encouragement about the tuna. Amazing how ones conscience takes hold when one cheats abit. Doddie

Mommy202, is it someone they've personally trained for fills, or do you know?

Ahhh! Why does everything happen when I leave?!

Don't worry about paying... soo many of us have to (unless you're able to fly back to your surgeon each time, or have your family dr. do it.) If it were someone truly connected to the clinic doing fills and charging, that would be 'complaint worthy', but since these are really just Dr's or nurses who are learning to do fills out of the kindness of their hearts, and in their own time (or at least in time they could be helping 'other' patients)... I can see why we pay. (I'm sure it's "under the table" too :nervous )

Keep in mind, though... one of the reasons that having your Dr. do it (by learning via DVD) might not be the best idea: they likely don't have the kind of needles that a 'real' fill Dr. should be using... non-coring Huber needles. If they DO have those type of needles on hand, maybe not so worrisome.

I was wondering about supplis. I was going to ask my doctor if he had the supplies if not, would he get them in and they could become part of my bill. I think that will happen anyway. Doddie

I am not sure if the Doctor was personally trained. I have been told that the fee would be 100 - 150 dollars plus I have to drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back. I am going to inquire into having my famiy doctor do it. Even if I have to pay her the same or a little more in order for her to get the necessary equipment it would be worth it to me. I hate driving.

Yes I agree. I even told my GP that if he wanted me to sigh a waiver to any liabilities I would gladly do it because I feel for a professional the procedure is very simple. Doddie

Yeah, if nothing else, just make sure they have the non-coring Huber needles... it's not the complexity of the procedure (cause its not, at all), it's just that you don't want them to miss, puncture your tubing with a (reg. needle, which 'cores') and you having to end up getting it replaced. Check that too, what happens if you need repairs...who pays? Any different if you're going elsewhere for fills? Things like that.

I have an appointment for my annual physical with my family doctor next week and will be discussing this procedure as an option for me. Has anyone had any fills done here in Saskatoon?

Glad to hear there are others from Saskatchewan in the same boat as me.... sometimes I feel all alone here.

Hi Chatterbox: Know what you man by feeling you are all alone. Most banding is to patients in Ontario and they have a very good network. For the rest of us, we have to rely on the internet for support. If you contact the clinic that did the surgery, they may have knowledge of a doctor or nurse that does the fills in Saskatoon. The TLBC sent me a DVD which I will be taking to my family doctor tomorrow. Do you have one? Doddie

Chatterbox: Good luck with the physical. Maybe your dr. does know about the lapband, but none that I spoke to did! (also none were supportive at all) If they aren't encouraging or supportive, don't let it faze you. You don't need his/her approval OR referral.

Doddie: Buffie DID have a fill or 2 (last we heard) by her family Dr. in Saskatoon. That's not happening anymore? (I'd ask her herself, if she'd come back and fill us in!!) Let us know how it goes tomorrow... or are you just bringing the DVD, not trying it out for a fill?

Hi: Going to take DVD to Dr. today but no fill. I have an incision problem and will deal with that. By agreement, we felt the first fill should be done by the TLSC fill nurse Nancy and I will also be their for a 2 hr seminar. I will then be able to show my doctor where the port is. This hopefully will make it easier for him. Doddie

Awesome weight loss Doddie and you have'nt had a fill yet? You must be very disiplined,I find myself falling back into some old bad habits and gaining a few bacK:faint:

Only disciplined by the band. It is tight and the restrictions (even though the band is empty) keep me honest. I started whole food last night and I took a bit too big a bite. 15 minutes later after standing and walking, the morsel went down. God knows what a fill will be like. Doddie

what type of band have you got. I have a french Mid band. If you are feeling hungry, have some Protein. Don't worry about calory counting it is more important to take care of the hunger so you don't binge. I find having a liquid Meal Replacement (chocolate) for diabetics is very satisfying. It that doesn't work and you are still hunting, try heating up chicken broth. Only 10 calories a cup and slip it slowly. That should do it until you meal. Doddie