Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Maryland?

Well in Northern CA they required us to see the Bariatric Surgeon, Take a few Lifestyle Management Classes a the Kaiser here and meet with the Bariatric Nutritionist, Psycologist, and surgeon one on one all seperate appointments. For some the process was as short as 2 months and others it took as long as 1 year. For most they required us to lose at least 5 - 10% of our highest recorded weight as well.

They think of Co-Morbidities as (Diabetes, Heart Issues(from being over-weight) High Cholesterol and so on. SOme people they approve without those co-morbidities if your BMI is high enough and you are at risk of developing them.

Hi there! I have Kaiser out here in California and they do cover the lap band. I have also heard from one person in Colorado that said they cover it there also. Kaiser in California just started covering the lap band recently from what I am told. I had to have my doctor refer me to the Bariactric Surgery Department and they have given me an appointment for an orientation to go to on June 5th. I have to have an EKG, chest x-ray and lab workup done before that date. I'm not quite sure what is done after that except that we do need to have a pysch appointment and a nutritionalist appointment. I have also heard that we have to loose 10% of our body weight before surgery. I do hope that you pursue this. I was told last year that Kaiser didn't cover it and that WLS was only offered to people MUCH larger than I am. My BMI is 43. I unfortunately didn't pursue it until this year and have wasted a lot of time. See if they have a Bariactric Surgery Department and call them. That's what I did to make sure. Good luck and keep me posted.

Congratulations, on getting into the procedure or whatever Kaiser protocol is. You said you were denied due to a low BMI @ 43, isn’t that what would make you elligable? May I as your height and weight? Can you tell me a little about the process once you have been accepted into the class program and how it works because I am confused you say it’s a pshyc class is that correct? Can you elaborate since you have been through the class, where did you take the class I too am from California, did you already post surgery (and if so congratulations, hope all is well) thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer my questions, I am sorry they are so long, but as you know you get no information from Kaiser.