Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't Know What I am Doing????

This is my first time posting anything. I have been doing research on the lap band for about a month and totally confused on which doctor you can trust. I am definetly going to have the surgery in Mexico because it fits into my budget. Wondering if anyone has heard of Dr. Nelson Rodriguez Huerta. He is in Guadalajara and performs the surgery at San Jose Hospital. Is it normal for them to ask for money before the surgery? If anyone could help me??

HI, Wecome to LBT. I think you are very wise researching both the band itself as well as the surgeon, before making any decisions. Ihave not heard of the Dr. you mentioned. I was banded by Dr Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. My Dr. did not ask for any money until I was physically present in Mexico. I would be very hesitant to send any money until all preparations are under way----being out of the country, your recourse of recovering any money would be minimal.

Hang out with us, ask any other questions you may have---we will do all we can to help.

Kat

Hello Chula,:lol: My name is Ted and I had my band done in TJ Mexico, with Dr. Kuri on 1/31/07.:clap2: . Dr. Kuri is one of the best Dr's around there or here. I have never heard of your Dr. Nelson he might be good ,but I'm very glad to have gone to Dr. Kuri.... Dr.Kuri will ask for only a deposet and you can pay when you get there. You fly into San Diego and are met by your driver and taken right to the clinic and hospital which by the way are NEW and nice. Check out there web sight belightweight.com or call them at 1-888-223-4046 I think you will do better,with Dr. Kuri and his team..:clap2: Good luck !

Hi Chula! Pick my Dr..... Ariel Ortiz! Oh man he is awesome! I had mine done in TJ Mexico! Trust me I know what you are going thru.... I was scarred as hell of getting ripped off, an unclean environment, dying.... etc. But trust me this Dr is the best! And the Hospital is State of the Art with the best equipment! Extremly clean! Do a research on Dr. Ortiz please.... he even wrote a book! If you bring it with you then he will autograph it too! Trust me when I say Dr. Ortiz is the best! Once you read his credentials and read about how many surgeries he has done, also all the Dr.s he taught how to do the surgery! Geez this guy is an A+ all the way around! And he is so cute too! Speaks wonderful English! Good luck sweetie- Raynie!

I had my band done in the US, however, If I were to go to Mexico, I would choose Dr. Ortiz in a heartbeat! I am reading his book "Lap Band for Life". He has the support of a lot of US docs here, he knows his business. I've heard nothing but good things about him and he has trained many of the US docs. - thats my 2 cents - I've never met the man, I just know of his reputation. Even my doctor said he is one of the best there is.

Before you give any money, talk to some of the people here who have been to Mexico and got banded. There is a girl in my January group - you can see the link to the thread under my signature - BabygotBack is her name, and she had her surgery in Mexico. I would check with other bandsters to find out if they had to pay money up front.