Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to remove or not to remove???

I was banded last May, and never set unrealistic goals for myself or had high expectations, in case my sx didnt work. From last April when I started my liquid diet until now, I've only lost 10 lbs. I do everything by the book and try soo very hard. About 2 months post-op I started having problems like pbing and not being able to tolerate a lot of foods, even if the food was too hot or too cold I couldn't tolerate it. I did my fills regularly for a while (i had 5 fills) but I never got full/ I pprobably could have eaten the same amount of food as i did pre-operatively. Then i started see everyone in my group shed like 30+lbs in 4-5 months even less sometimes and i was barely at ten. (and of course everyone knew i had the sx and wasnt succeeding so i was gossipped about and the usual) So i feel into a depression and stopped attending meetings, and stopped seeing my surgeon. When i tried to get nutrition appts so was booked up like 3 months and couldnt see me when i free (i work as an MA for a Dr), so i didnt go back.

Then I found out my failure was due to a tx I was getting for another medical condition, one that i cant stop and i wont lose wait as long as i do this tx.

part of me says you went so far keep trying, part of me says your just so miserable and a failure give up, have him remove the band, and go on with your life.

if you were in my place what would you do?????????? im so desperate i dont know what to do, and i dont think my surgeon will switch me to a bypass because my bmis not that bad yet.

desperately

Tabitha:think

I would maybe think about keeping the band. You never know, there might be an alternate treatment for your other condition in the future, and you can stop the one that won't let you lose weight.

Are you still doing liquids and PBing? If you are considering removal why not consider an unfill first. That way you can eat a regular healthy diet. Or consider a slight unfill and go back to the bandsters basic diet (Protein first, then veggies).

Sometimes when a person is too tight, they think they should be losing weight. liquids can be highly caloric and most of the time not filling. So if you are on liquids, then you probably ARE never full.

Consider a slight unfill.

Take care, Shawn

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately for me its not that easy. My other medical conditions txs aren't going to evolve over time, it's either this or a hysterectomy, and at 22 Im totally not ready for that.

As for the fills, my last one was in September and I was due for another one in October, but I just couldnt get over the news I found out in Sept about the injections preventing the weight loss, so i never went back. I tried the banders basic diet a total of 5x 2 before Sept, and 3 since then without any success.

The only time i felt full was for the first 3-4 wks post op and that was all, the rest of the time i felt like i did before the sx so I think that its not a full or actually over-fill issue because i never felt that way again.........

Thanks for the suggestion Im just so confused and upset right now.

Tabitha

Hello everyone,

I am not banded yet, I am self pay $19,000, I had a hysterectomy at age 25 but prior to the surgery my PCP clipped the nerves or did a nerve block in my stomach so I would not have to have hysterectomy in high school. I am praying that does not keep me from being able to have the band put in. My feeling is to leave the band in because if you are having as much problems as I did you will eventually have the have the surgery anyway. Best of luck with your band.

thanks vanceemilton for your understanding, and yes I am headed down that rode but my gyn is trying every possibility first. I've already been through 2 major laparoscopies, and if this tx fails then a hysterectomy will be my only choice, i'm just trying so hard to avoid that right now.

Jack as for your ?'s I know your not trying to be harsh and just dont know so I'll try to explain............during my initial post op period i pb-ed at least 3-4 times a wk, my nutritionist watched me eat and said it wasn't because i ate to fast or didnt chew enough. we summed it up to if i take foods directly from the fridge, freezer, or microwave and ate them it would upset me stomach to the point that id get sick. i also couldnt eat some foods that i ate pre-op like chicken, as soon as it went down id be sick, they said i developed intolerances.

As for the feeling full i mentioned...the 1st month post-op i was feeling full/satisfied i was never hungry then i went to being the way i was post-op always hungry always needing food, even after id eat i was still hungry. and yeah my portions were bigger than the nutritionist suggested but i couldnt get satisfied or full and i was eating at the same times every day and the right amount of meals and calories and everything.

When reading my inital post i assume you saw the part where i mentioned that they were gossiping about me, it felt like high school all over again, with the talking and the taunting, and it hurt too much to be in the same room with those ppl that's why i stopped going to the support group, i joined for help, advice, and support, not to be made fun of by ppl just like me.

For seeking assistance from my nutritionist I tried, and shes booked out 2-3 months and can only take my at certain times, but i work for an MD during the day a 9-7:30 job Mon-thur and cant just leave work to see her, we're a small extremely busy practice with only 2-3 MA's on staff and no secretary so i cant just leave at any time. (we're going to be downsizing next month and because of all the time ive taken for the band's appts they told me im most likely the one to go.) So yes my health is very important, but at this point so isnt my job and health ins. My surgeon just doesnt understand he knew about the meds before the sx and didnt even tell me of the risk but says "well its the shot thats why youre not losing the weight............" UHH!!!!!!!!!!!

For removing the band Im not sure of the benefits but preop i wasnt gaining weight i was just fat and obese and could eat food without having to worry about eating too fast or the right foods or will i pb whereas w/out the band i may have a chance at some normallcy for eating........................................................ I just dont know anymore.

Update....Since my original post (actually last tues)my surgeon has given me another fill and told me to give it some more time and he was furious about the gossiping and said hed deal with it next meeting. I dont know if any of it will help but well see.

Best of luck and it is your decision, you know your body. If you want to email me I will talk anytime you want. BUT think long and hard before taking and make sure that is what you want.

did you check your hormone levels. you may have estogen dominance. too much estrogen makes you store fat. even if you eat tiny amounts. check your thyroid and glucose. work up your cholesterol. if you have metabolic syndrome you may have insuline resistance. all these factors contribute to weight gain and difficulty losing weight. i reccommend also keeping a food diary. i hate that . but it does keep you on track. i lost 85 lbs in a 14months. i work out and eat well. but i had to get some help when i wasnt losing anymore,. so now i take progesterone and metaformin. i think it is working so far. also i work out even more. i hate that too. sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. that totally sucks. maybe your port leaks and your not staying filled. i dont understand why you are not shrinking. i hope you get the right help and let us know what happens. keep strong.

I hear your frustration with not losing weight and not tolerating foods well. I recently had an unfill which allows me to eat more 'normally' (i.e. i can get most foods down at three meals a day). Not able to lose any weight either but happier eating solids and not losing, if you know what I mean! I'm assuming you have 'eating issues' which led you to the band - while I considered getting it out the band does help with those eating issues and if you are not gaining, you might consider just unfilling and keeping it in. For me at least I've not gained my typical 40lbs or so in a year. However, you should be able to eat and enjoy food and you may be too tight - I'd say go for unfill for a while and see how you do. Ah, i just saw you had a fill - well, keep us posted and good luck!

I think we've all been frustrated at one time or another. I understand how frustrating this process can be because the learning curve is HUGE. I'm going to give you my honest advice and maybe some of it will make sense.

#1) I'm not sure what kind of treatment you are going through that is going to cause you to never be able to lose weight but I'd take that piece of info with a grain of salt. I've never heard of any treatment that completely condemned a person to a life of obesity. It may make it HARDER to lose weight but I would doubt that its impossible. I doubt the FDA would ever approve a treatment that would cause obesity with no hope of treating it.

#2) I can totally understand feeling like you don't want to ever return to the support group. I'm horrified that people would laugh and gossip because you haven't lost weight and they have. Shame on those people. Hopefully, your surgeon will deal with these people. In the meantime, you might seek out a local bandster group on yahoo.

#3) I can also totally understand the band not working exactly how you feel it should but I can promise there is some component to the puzzle you are missing. Get totally honest with yourself and ask yourself if you are doing everything you can to be successful. Are you following the bandster rules? I'd say go back to basics and eat lean Protein (around 3 oz) with some veggies and some starch. Don't drink with your meal and don't snack unless you are starving in between. Even then, make it something low cal and healthy. If any part of this equation is impossible or extremely difficult (i.e. you are PBing, you are getting nauseous or you are starving on 1200 cals) then you need to assess what the problem is. You may need either a fill or an unfill. I have just been through absolute hell with my band over the last few months and I can tell you that the band is beginning to work for me, but only after I started following the rules. Its amazing how being overfilled causes us to adopt very bad habits that cause us to remain overweight.

Please know that I believe you can succeed and I also KNOW how hard it is to believe in yourself. Having been in some really bad places recently both emotionally and physically, I can attest that this is one of the hardest things I've ever undertaken. But, I do agree with Jack that removing your band and giving up is going to do nothing to help you overcome your obesity. Nothing is impossible and succumbing to this disease will only kill your self-esteem further. Lose the attitude of defeat and summon the energy to get going again. You can DO this!!!

I'm here for you if you need help or motivation.

Jennifer

If it helps any, I have Lupus and am on meds that have in the past caused me to gain as much as 80 pounds at a time. I'm doing fine with the band. It sounds to me like meeting with your surgeon and getting back on track is the way to go, and if you were uncomfortable with one support group, try another.