Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor upset with me - need encouragement

I am 23 days post op. I had an amazing surgery and recovery. I have had no complications, very little pain, and THOUGHT I was doing everything right. I did however, have a stall and have been a slow loser. In 23 days I am only down 8 or 9 lbs, with 90% of that being in the 1st week. I then did not lose 1 pound in 15 days. This morning, I think the stall broke finally.

So today was my 30 day follow up. I had to have it early due to a trip I leave for tomorrow.

I told my doctor that I had made pureed chili 2 days ago and ate it for the past 2 days. I also developed a pain in my left shoulder that I had "Hoped" was just residual gas pain....

So in my doctor's line of questioning and concern about this shoulder pain, I explained to him that I had measured 4 oz of pureed chili and had eaten the 4oz over the course of 40 mins - and I have done this for 3 total meals. WOW I AM SO WRONG - apparently when it comes to food, I should only be eating TWO total ounces and for only up to 20 mins. So he told me the pain is from overeating and I was 1) stretching my pouch and 2) could "cause a blow out"!! He was VERY concerned and actually annoyed at me.

So, this cannot be a learning curve. This had apparently been about my confusion in how much "food" vs "liquid" I could and should be consuming. And I still have confusion, but apprently 4 oz of pureed food in 40 mins is TOO MUCH.

uggggg....

Soooo

1) was my doctor in a bad mood already when I got there

2) justified in being angry about this

3) worried I will FAIL

I 1) am NOT going to fail

2) am now pretty freaked out that maybe I did damage to myself after having been in the PERFECT recovery both physically and emotionally

3) will not be eating 4 oz of anything further!!

I couldn't drive away from his office fast enough! I have always liked my doctor too! I am now really worried!!!

I am 23 days post op. I had an amazing surgery and recovery. I have had no complications' date=' very little pain, and THOUGHT I was doing everything right. I did however, have a stall and have been a slow loser. In 23 days I am only down 8 or 9 lbs, with 90% of that being in the 1st week. I then did not lose 1 pound in 15 days. This morning, I think the stall broke finally.

So today was my 30 day follow up. I had to have it early due to a trip I leave for tomorrow.

I told my doctor that I had made pureed chili 2 days ago and ate it for the past 2 days. I also developed a pain in my left shoulder that I had "Hoped" was just residual gas pain....

So in my doctor's line of questioning and concern about this shoulder pain, I explained to him that I had measured 4 oz of pureed chili and had eaten the 4oz over the course of 40 mins - and I have done this for 3 total meals. WOW I AM SO WRONG - apparently when it comes to food, I should only be eating TWO total ounces and for only up to 20 mins. So he told me the pain is from overeating and I was 1) stretching my pouch and 2) could "cause a blow out"!! He was VERY concerned and actually annoyed at me.

So, this cannot be a learning curve. This had apparently been about my confusion in how much "food" vs "liquid" I could and should be consuming. And I still have confusion, but apprently 4 oz of pureed food in 40 mins is TOO MUCH.

uggggg....

Soooo

1) was my doctor in a bad mood already when I got there

2) justified in being angry about this

3) worried I will FAIL

I 1) am NOT going to fail

2) am now pretty freaked out that maybe I did damage to myself after having been in the PERFECT recovery both physically and emotionally

3) will not be eating 4 oz of anything further!!

I couldn't drive away from his office fast enough! I have always liked my doctor too! I am now really worried!!![/quote']

Awwww hunni its okay don't be discouraged it was just a learning experience yu will be find 9 pounds is good this about a year along process weight loss is good no matter how he look at it now weight gain I could understand but don't let that beat yu up we live and we learn you'll be fine good luck

Yeah... A lot of doctors don't have good bed side manner any more :-/ my doctors office gave a whole little book on how much to eat and drink and how many Vitamins to take during each phase... And several options and where to buy them. 4weeks out I could barely eat a ounce of pureed chili. I thought it was a irrational fear of mine at the beginning to split open my pouch o_O Good luck from here on :-)

I wouldn't be too upset with yourself I think he should have been more up front in the beginning and told you what you can and can't do what are the guidelines and how much to eat

I just feel terrible - I am mostly worried I guess though. How would I know if I did damage to my pouch? I am not having any signs of problems, with exception to the left shoulder pain (and after 23 days days, I seriously doubt it's gas in there still). So NO, I will not eat 4 oz again (even though it was deferred over 40 mins) but now I am totally worried - it's as if my surgery etc has been too good to be true, and THIS is the other shoe dropping. Uggg. I have to get past this!

I just feel terrible - I am mostly worried I guess though. How would I know if I did damage to my pouch? I am not having any signs of problems' date=' with exception to the left shoulder pain (and after 23 days days, I seriously doubt it's gas in there still). So NO, I will not eat 4 oz again (even though it was deferred over 40 mins) but now I am totally worried - it's as if my surgery etc has been too good to be true, and THIS is the other shoe dropping. Uggg. I have to get past this![/quote']

You will take a deep breath and remember tomorrow is a new day :)

I just feel terrible - I am mostly worried I guess though. How would I know if I did damage to my pouch? I am not having any signs of problems' date=' with exception to the left shoulder pain (and after 23 days days, I seriously doubt it's gas in there still). So NO, I will not eat 4 oz again (even though it was deferred over 40 mins) but now I am totally worried - it's as if my surgery etc has been too good to be true, and THIS is the other shoe dropping. Uggg. I have to get past this![/quote']

The thing I don't understand is that you're supposed to eat slow and spread it over a good amount of time, so why was he telling you you're taking too long to eat? That makes no sense to me. I'd call the nutritionist and tell her what he said and get her opinion, just to be sure. And if it's good and puréed and spread over 40 minutes I'm sure you didn't do any damage.

The thing I don't understand is that you're supposed to eat slow and spread it over a good amount of time' date=' so why was he telling you you're taking too long to eat? That makes no sense to me. I'd call the nutritionist and tell her what he said and get her opinion, just to be sure. And if it's good and puréed and spread over 40 minutes I'm sure you didn't do any damage.[/quote']

What a goof . It's there fault by not being definite on telling you how much to be eating . Mine doesn't either. I'm sure I have eaten 4 ozs of Soup at one time. Shame on him or I should say them.

My dr and nut say about 30 minutes for a meal and if you do mindful eating maybe your just a really slow eater everyone is different some eat 3-4 oz some can only eat 1-2 ounces at a time. My dr says eat 3 meals a day no Snacks in between if your Diabetic then you do 3 meals and 2 snacks just make sure you get all your Protein 60-80 and fluids in

You should schedule an appointment with your nut and go over everything again. This can be all confusing and a lot to take in when you discuss this all at first. Everyone's program is different. Mine says I need to measure out my food and then eat between 20-30 minutes. If I don't eat it all then oh well and if I do that's great. Keep going over and over all your information you got from your nut and keep going over it. It helps. Ask questions if their is something you don't understand. Today is a new day and it will get much better!!! :)

HW: 331 SW: 11/26/12 319lbs CW: 225 05/03/13 GW: 157

Cherry dont worry honey you are still on the right track. There is no way you have done any damage to your pouch on a little pureed chili. The biggest thing is to learn and move on. Thereare lots of people who get gas pains in the shoulder after eating, not just after surgery. If you eat too much, or too fast, or gassy foods, (Um, helloooo...like chili for instance,lol) you will still get that shoulder pain. In support group the other night, thats how several people described it feeling. So no worries, you are fine and dont let a grumpy doc get you down-this is a real learn-as-you-go experience and we are always still learning.

I'm sure you didn't cause damage to your pouch. I didn't think 4oz of food is a lot. I did take about 20 minutes to eat but I have no idea how much food it was I didn't measure. Now I measure to stay on track but I'm almost 12 months post up.

The wife doctor didn't give him sex that's why he is moody.

I'm sure you didn't cause damage to your pouch. I didn't think 4oz of food is a lot. I did take about 20 minutes to eat but I have no idea how much food it was I didn't measure. Now I measure to stay on track but I'm almost 12 months post up.

The wife doctor didn't give him sex that's why he is moody.

Lol that is funny. I'm totally going to have to agree with this one:)