Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. C - Please help!

Hi Dr. C,

I need help and don't know what to do. I had lap band surgery in Mexico last May, 2006. A doctor in Dayton has been doing my fills but my band was over filled last September and I have had problems ever since. I had 8 cc's in and had to go to the ER and have all taken out. Went back in Nov. and had 5 cc's back in.

Two weeks ago, I had been vomiting a lot so I went in to get some taken out of my band. Doc took all out and sent me for an Upper GI with barium. The person doing the test told me the barium was stuck in the esphogus. She showed me the xray.

Doc said everything was fine. So I kept complaining so he did EGD. Said band was in the right place and nothing was wrong.

I have not been able to eat any food for over 2 weeks. When I try, it hurts bad and I vomit. I have learned to drink little sips and it goes down.

I called everyday this week and doc will not call me back - office says he is in surgery. I explained that I could not eat solid food and asked them to have him call me.

Should I be worried about this? I can't go anywhere else cause I got my band in Mexico.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Sherry

You need to get a unfill quick before you do damage to your esophagus.I would go back to the dayton dr to get unfill and then try to find someone more willing to help you. Do not stay to tight to long the muscles in the esophagus are to weak to push the barrium down,Good luck ,keep us informed. Becky

Sounds like possibly an intermittent slip. No contrast went through the UGI when the Band was empty, so that seems like possibly a slip.

I am assuming you had a VG Band, if it was the Inamed/Allergan Band, since they had 8cc in. That is the largest Inamed Band and it is unlikely that you would have obstruction nearly a year later without a slip.

How hard is it for you to go back to Mexico to see your original surgeon? I would recommend to get a complete workup by your Lap Band surgeon.

All the best. Please keep us posted.

All,

I don't have any Fluid in my band at all. It was all taken out over 2 weeks ago... And I still can not eat a thing. I am drinking Protein shakes very slowly and I am keeping them down - but no food.

Thanks,

Sherry

Dr. H - thanks for responding. I can't go back to Mexico because I don't have a passport. I didn't need one a year ago but do need one now. It takes a few months to get one.

The doc in Dayton kept saying over and over it was not a band slip. If not, what is it? I feel like no one wants to help me.

I went to the OSU ER today and they would not treat me either. They said as long as I could keep fluids down, they would not treat me. They told me to go back to Dayton.

I feel very depressed! I feel like no one wants to help me.

I guess I will just learn to live on Protein shakes forever! I guess it could be worse... My grandma tells me there is always someone else that is worse off than me. I hope not.

Sherry

There are some services that expedite passports that I saw when I did a google search.

At the very least, call the surgeon in Mexico. Maybe he or she can offer advice. Hopefully the surgeon in Mexico that put in the Band would offer to help somehow.

For example, you might try to get a copy of the results of all your tests, including any images, and fax them to the surgeon in Mexico.

Sherry,

Call my office on Monday I will be happy to take care of you.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Hi Dr. C,

I need help and don't know what to do. I had lap band surgery in Mexico last May, 2006. A doctor in Dayton has been doing my fills but my band was over filled last September and I have had problems ever since. I had 8 cc's in and had to go to the ER and have all taken out. Went back in Nov. and had 5 cc's back in.

Two weeks ago, I had been vomiting a lot so I went in to get some taken out of my band. Doc took all out and sent me for an Upper GI with barium. The person doing the test told me the barium was stuck in the esphogus. She showed me the xray.

Doc said everything was fine. So I kept complaining so he did EGD. Said band was in the right place and nothing was wrong.

I have not been able to eat any food for over 2 weeks. When I try, it hurts bad and I vomit. I have learned to drink little sips and it goes down.

I called everyday this week and doc will not call me back - office says he is in surgery. I explained that I could not eat solid food and asked them to have him call me.

Should I be worried about this? I can't go anywhere else cause I got my band in Mexico.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Sherry

We hope for the best Sherry. If you wouldn't mind, please update us as to what you and Dr C find. We can all learn from your experience.

Thanks to Dr C for helping out!

I posted yesterday regarding my pouch dilation and I was wondering how common it is for a pouch to go back to it's smaller state once you have the dilation. I think i caught it in time. My band is still well positioned and I am on liquids for the next week. What have your experiences with pouch dilation revealed to you. Is there life after dilation or have I caused irreversable damage. Thanks for your reply.

I don't think we have any real data but my guess is about 50% of the time it will normalize with an extended period of liquids.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I posted yesterday regarding my pouch dilation and I was wondering how common it is for a pouch to go back to it's smaller state once you have the dilation. I think i caught it in time. My band is still well positioned and I am on liquids for the next week. What have your experiences with pouch dilation revealed to you. Is there life after dilation or have I caused irreversable damage. Thanks for your reply.

This is a complicated issue, there is no way I can tell you what is wrong over the internet. Usually it is a combination of small things that add up to a small loss but I suggest you follow up with your surgeon. We expect for patients to lose at least a pound a week especially at first.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

Not Sure How This Works. Need Help What To Do !