Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Amson in Victoria

Hi there,

I had my surgery with Dr. Woodhead Aug. 6, 2008 - I am very happy with the surgery and with Dr. Woodhead's aftercare - he's patient, attentive and imho a great surgeon. He recently did my gallbladder surgery. I was very nervous about leaving the province let alone the country and feel fortunate to have found a great doctor so close to home.

Total costs = $14,400.

Good luck with your decision.

Why don't you come to our Lions Gate Support group. We meet every 3rd Wednesday of the month. There you can ask any question and receive very truthful answers. With any surgical procedure, there are risks but they are not the norm. Band slippage does occur, but can be fixed. The most serious is band errosion and is rare. The support group is informal and no fees are charged.

Hi, I am new to this site but am looking for places that will provide information and support much like so I can tell you that I attended Dr Amson's office approximately 6 weeks ago, had to wait for about 4 - 5 months before I could get in for my first appt. The appt is quite a long time, prepare to be there for about 3 hours, between waiting and watching the videos etc. My next appt is tomorrow, during the 6 weeks between appointments you are asked to connect with others (he gives you some contacts and a support group), read specific books to do with your weight as well as write a letter telling him or someone else why you ended up this way. That part is rather enlightening, took me quite a while to put pen to paper. I also have to see a nutrionist this week as well. Hard to say when the dr. will do the lap band surgery, would like to have it done right away as once you make that decision it is difficult to wait.

Hope this has been helpful.

Ya see, that is the part I had a problem with, although I know other people didn't. I just felt like I had been struggling with this for almost 40 years, had tried everything, and was desperate enough to get a line of credit for surgery...I didn't think it was his place to decide "if I was ready".

Having said that, he is a very nice man, but way too busy. When I went to my consultation the assistant told me to bring my own lunch for the wait. Seriously? Who actually plans to be running that late! lol.

Best wishes everyone.

I was banded by Dr. Amson on June 8, 2009. My gp actually check around to find out who the best doctor is that is doing lapbanding and was told he was one of the best. My gp set up my first appt with Dr. Amson, I had to wait appox. 5 mo. to get in for my first and only consult with Dr. Amson. I had that in November and was banded in June. He wants to make sure that you are going to be a good candidate. As he says the band is only a tool and you are the one that has to do the work. He requires you to start exercising and watching what you are eating.

I really think he is an excellent surgeon and would recommend him to anyone. So far since I was banded I have lost 21kg or 46lbs. I will get my first fill on July 22 here in Saskatoon as Dr. Amson sent a disc back with me on how to do the fills so that my gp can do the fills. My gp actually wants me to go to another surgeon here to do the fills and has set that up for me.

I am so glad I waited to go to Dr. Amson because both my gp and myself are very happy with the results so far.

Hope this helps.

Dr Amson is the gold standard in BC for WLS but the wait is very long. Sometimes the best is worth waiting for, but there are an increasing number of skilled surgeons in the country that now do the band as well as the clinic in Washington State. Just a matter of determining what your criteria is.