Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Frustrations...

Can I get some advice. My band was put in Sept 18, 2006, so I'm about 5 months out. I'm too the point in my diet that I'm bored and frustrated. In addition, I've hit a plateau so my frustration is all that much higher. Not to mention, I've had a horrible sweet tooth as of late. Do any bandsters have suggestions can can get me through this. I'm especially in need of diet ideas.

Thanks

Katie Gengler

BTW, I've lost 60 pounds to date, but I can't get my tickler to post on the thread.

Eat the good stuff first so you dont have room for the sweet things, or if you do, you dont have room to overeat them.

When I get that head hunger in between lunch and dinner, I always want some sweet carb - Cookies or cake or something - I eat a banana and even an apple and after that I cant fit anything else in. OK, so that's 150calories or so but its better than the 400 I would have consumed if I'd eaten six or seven Cookies, which I can still easily do.

I can understand getting bored with a 'diet' and you are smart to look for ways to change your eating before you want to binge (well, as much as one can binge with the band - lol). Are you treating yourself occassionally - it is ok to have a cookie or piece of candy occassionally, etc. For me I just have to have extreme Portion Control and not keep large quantities of tempting and bad for me things in the house. I sometimes alternate with having one treat meal a week and go out to dinner and eat pretty much what i want or i've had one pack of m&m's - lots of sugar free treats, like popscicles, pudding cups, I'm lucky that other then my period time I am not a huge sweets person but I've learned if I'm craving it and I don't have it - I'll eat more of other stuff and eventually give in anyway.

I'm big on portion control etc now and i try to do that rather than denying myself things i'm really craving.

Lastly, someone once told me...if you smell bread and then want it you can overcome that but if you are really craving something and it won't go away, that's something to pay attention to - try to find substitutes or small portions and interesting foods to add to your diet.

Wow - your doing GREAT! If your getting bored, try some different recipes. I have the book, Eating well after WLS - google some low carb reipes. Eating healthy should not be boring.

I have a wonderful low carb "mock coconut cream pie" that is out of this world, made out of speghetti squash. It taste more like a coconut custard pie. It is band friendly - or should be anyhow.

Anyhow, you've done great, but I think it might be time to switch around your food choices. Check out the recipe section in this forum and see what you can find.

There are lots of "sweet stuff" that doesn't mean bad stuff.

There are some lovely low-carb icecream bars and sugar free popcicles out there. I keep a supply on hand at all times. Don't try to deny that sweet tooth - just try to tame it with some level of control. A "no sugar added" fudgecicle can do wonders and make you feel like to have had dessert - for about 45-70 calories, depending on the brand.

Change up the number of calories you are eating. Not just lower and lower - but up and down. Keep your body guessing so it doesn't get into a "rut". If you aren't already - try doing low carb for a few days - just to see how that works. If you ARE doing low carbs - have a cheat day where you eat Rice and whole wheat bread.< /p>

But, most of all - keep in mind that you have lost a lot of weight in not very much time. Your body is probably doing all sorts of miraculous things - like shrinking - even if the scale doesn't show it. Have you taken your measurements lately?

What are you doing for exercise? Try something different.

I bet that you will come out of this plateau in no time - and that you will continue on your merry way.

Boredom sucks - but the only cure is to try something new or different.

Sometimes I walk thru an ethnic grocery store and try a "mystery vegetable/fruit" just to see what it is. I have found some Wonderful veggies doing this. And the worst that happens if I don't like it? I don't eat it and I don't buy it again.

Try cooking something a different way - or not cooking it at all. Raw Cauliflower is a favorite for me - Or I love almost any vegetable grilled in a little EVOO with some salt. Try a Tomato, or some eggplant. Mmmm.

There are tons of things you can do. In a city of any size, you can get a wide variety of produce and usually a ton of meats and fish.

Good luck in your battle with boredom. Experiment. Make it an adventure.

Hugs!

SUNSHINE 2.....sounds to me like you should DEFINATELY be posting that recipe!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Katie

You're doing better than I was at 5 months out, that's for sure! It took me about 8 months to lose that much. I hit several plateaus in the beginning. The last half of my banding experience has been the successful part, so don't lose hope!

Okay, the only thing I know to suggest is to count calories. I'm serious about it. I don't usually deny my sweet tooth, but it sure is easier to hit my calorie goal if I don't eat that extra piece of chocolate. The less I eat of it, the easier it is to just say no. But I'm with Jacqui on the banana idea. usually around 3 I'll eat a banana and a low-fat mozarella cheese stick. Equals about 140 calories and gives me my Protein and carb fix.

Katie -

Hi there!

There were some days in the beginning when I felt like I was going to turn in to some form of chicken b/c it is all that I seemed to ever eat when I was cautious about experimenting. I am admittedly a sushi-freak and was so glad when I could start eating it again. Spicy foods and interesting salad combos help me when I'm feeling like I am in a food coma. If you like seafood: try gumbo, raw oysters, shrimp, crawfish, mussels, etc. smoothie King and Starbucks keeps me happy when I'm not able to eat many solids due to tightening or stress.

Like others have suggested, doing a zig-zag with your calories (up and down) seems to help me break my plateau cycle. I use http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to calculate my maintenance calories based on my current weight and subtract 500 calories/day from that maintenance level to lose 1 lb/wk. (-1000 calories/day for 2 lbs/wk) It will make suggestions on how to zig-zag, if calorie counting is important to you. Might also want to look on www.calorieking.com and www.dietfacts.com for food values and ideas of what you can order in restaurants.

You are doing great - I know it can be frustrating...been there quite a few times myself!!

Tiffany

I have been following South Beach since I was binging on sweets and carbs before banding. Doing South Beach always got me off my cravings after about 4 days.

There are so many meal ideas and yummy recipes like cheese cake and I eat lots of sugar free fudgsicles.