Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey folks,

Well as the title says, I am on my way. I met with my surgeon Friday, Feb. 15th for the first time to discuss my options and to find out what was requirements my insurance wants me to meet before agreeing to pay for my surgery. Turns out that I am one of the lucky ones on BCBS that are not required to undergo the 7 month physician supervised weightloss program. There are a few hurdles to jump but those I think I can manage. Today I jumped the first hurdle by attending my very first support group meeting. It was nice hearing all the ends and outs of gastric bypass and it both answered some questions but also created new questions. The biggest question on my mind is which procedure to undergo. I am torn between true bypass and sleeve. My surgeon said either one would work for me and that I would loose a lot of weight with either procedure. I guess the biggest thing for me is getting the best bang for my buck. I want to loose at least 200 pounds or more I am just not sure if sleeve will accomplish this task, even if I do my best and follow the doctors orders religiously.

I would like to poll the members of this group and this site to get an idea and prepective from both sides of the field.

Welcome to the club and congrats on having rocking insurance!!!! I'm 5 days post-op fromRNY so not much experience yet. I have 2 dear friends who go sleeved in Nov. 2011, one has lost about 20 pounds, the other 40 (he needed to lose at least 150). They eat around their sleeve and essentially they have failed their sleeve but it just seemed too easy to do....

Good luck in your decision!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 240

I have my own horror story :) I'm actually a failed lap band converted to RNY. Had my band in December 2009, lost 70-75 pounds but struggled the entire time I had it, if I had PMS or my allergies were flared up or I was stressed out, I would barely be able to tolerate fluids and absolutely couldn't eat during those times. I'd come to accept the fact that my band would eventually have to go but last July got extremely sick, stomach pain turning into chest, jaw, shoulder pain, again barely tolerating liquids. Discovered my band had slipped and my stomach was herniated up over the band. Had an urgent band removal which was supposed to be converted to bypass at that time but once the doc got in I had so much swelling and inflammation from my band that he didn't feel it was safe to convert to RNY at that time. So he removed my band and sent me home to heal for 6 months. It has been a LONG road....I cannot tell you how glad I am to finally be post-op and moving on with this!!!!!

Again, I wish you the best!!! :)

I have my own horror story :) I'm actually a failed lap band converted to RNY. Had my band in December 2009' date=' lost 70-75 pounds but struggled the entire time I had it, if I had PMS or my allergies were flared up or I was stressed out, I would barely be able to tolerate fluids and absolutely couldn't eat during those times. I'd come to accept the fact that my band would eventually have to go but last July got extremely sick, stomach pain turning into chest, jaw, shoulder pain, again barely tolerating liquids. Discovered my band had slipped and my stomach was herniated up over the band. Had an urgent band removal which was supposed to be converted to bypass at that time but once the doc got in I had so much swelling and inflammation from my band that he didn't feel it was safe to convert to RNY at that time. So he removed my band and sent me home to heal for 6 months. It has been a LONG road....I cannot tell you how glad I am to finally be post-op and moving on with this!!!!!

Again, I wish you the best!!! :)[/quote']

I had the same problem .. i am 1 year out from. The RNY .. All together i have lost 130 pounds ..still need to lose atlest 40 more pounds to get to my goal..

You can find hard core statistics on both online - independent sources that will quote you statistics and for me that made my decision.

I had rocking bcbs too. I first saw the doc 10/30 and had surgery 12/29! I went with rny bc there are tons of converts from band, you lose faster w gastric, I like the malabsorption part and you have an 80% chance of having dumping syndrome (a good thing in my book to help curve cravings, but I've yet to have an episode- or cravings! ;) Plus there's 50 years of data on the success of rny versus sleeve. Actually those were my options. My doc (a leader and author in the field- Dr. Garth Davis- has a great book. Necessary read for anyone considering) won't even do band any more.

Welcome Nubamaboy :-) I had surgery in Dec. I've lost 50 since date of surgery. I went with RNY due to the read of lapband slippages. Didn't like the idea of the sleeve. Had relatives have the RNY w/o any problems and great results. I also liked the idea of dumping to keep the old sweet tooth in check. I no longer have a sweet tooth. I don't have cravings for pizza which is amazing cuz it was my fav food. I'm so happy w my decision and I'm sure you'll be too.

My personal decision when I did this was that I was giving up those processed carbs ( bread, Pasta, etc) I have to tell you though somedays I would love some Pasta. But I don't allow myself to give in yet. That's if my body would accept it. Other days I would love a Peanut Butter sandwich. But my will is stronger than the cravings now :-). It's definitely not an easy way out as some people claim. It's a lifestyle change and takes determination and hard work.

Good Luck :-)

Gen :-) 12/15/12

I went in in Nov 2012 for my first appointment think band cause it was less invacives well my surgeon said with the amount of weight he could do it but better choice would be RNY so I talked with my cardiac dr in which I've know 28 years cause both my parents used him and 13 years ago I had to had blood clots in LAD and had to get 2 stents luckily no trouble since but 3 years ago blood clots in lungs cardiac dr said to do RYN because they had more history and research on it many problem with banding and not enough history on sleeve long term success yet so that is what I did I very much respect the option of my cardiac dr. Well after my surgery I went into a-fib elregular heart beat so off to ICU for 4 more days and my heart rate was like 190 so the next day he came in very early and saw me I asked him what had I done to myself he turned around and looked at me and said that it was the best thing I had done even with this happening and not to worry cause in a couple of months when I'm back in his office and aleast a hundred pounds lighter I would be so much better so I go home after 6 days from surgery and 2 night and back to emergency room I have Fluid and blood in my stomach but they can't see where it's coming from so back to ICU blood keeps dropping so I get 5 pints of blood but they can't see any bleeding it stopped my surgeon is great he comes and sees me 2 times a day every day no partner only him my cardiac came to Nd said can't go back on Coumadin for a couple of weeks cause of bleeding just do leg excerse and walk to hopefully not get blood clots so that's what I'm doing till Tuesday when I see him and hopefully get my little ZAP to put my heart back in rytham But my surgery was GREAT no trouble with eating nausea or anything and not to much pain Just waiting to get into the GYM. And Yes I would do it all over knowing all this

I had the band in 2008 and recently the band-to-bypass revision. Super happy with the bypass and 'should have' done that in 2008. BUT, I'm in a better place emotionally than in 2008 so I know this will be a more effective tool to help me achieve my goals and maintain my weight. Good luck to you on your journey!

Welcome to the boards! ^_^

You can find hard core statistics on both online - independent sources that will quote you statistics and for me that made my decision.

After I studied the available research, the only option for me was the RNY. But pls do your own research. Before my first doctors visit and prior to doing the research, I was convinced that the band or sleeve were preferable to me. Bu then you read the research [success rates over time].

I originally went for the sleeve but switched to RNY after advice from surgeon. If you like sugar and baked goods, RNY is the best long-term solution for weight loss. RNY is more incompatible with the the consumption of sweets and baked goods. At 3.5 months post op, I am pleased. However, I am nervous about keeping weight off long term. I will have to be vigilant the rest of my life. But I am convinced that I chose the bet option available today and that is RNY. But regardless of what surgical technique is chosen, maintenance of weight loss comes down to learning to make the right choices. Supposedly over time my food cravings will return (post op honeymoon period ends) and I will want to eat a lot again. So I am working right now to establish good habits. I wish everyone success on the weight loss journey.