Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in Oregon??

Hi Bingo--

I think I am at my sweet spot--although to keep up the weight loss I may need to go in this summer and get a SMALL fill--I am going to wait until then to decide!

The trip back across the border was fine! They let us stay in the van, and one of the patrols came out and checked our ID's. This was before the passport requirement took effect--so I don't know if you'll need a passport or not. After the fill trip we had to get out, cross the border on foot, and then get back in the van.

I went shopping the next day after surgery! We went to the tourist part of TJ and walked along the sidewalk, looking and buying...it was fun. I, of course, tired out earlier than I usually would have, but it was amazing to be walking the day after surgery! We only bought things for our kids, so we didn't pay any duty or anything. I'm not sure on what/how they do that.

Do you have an exact date on your surgery? Are you flying down or driving down? Is there someone going with you? It helped me to have my husand there---but a lot of people went down solo.

Have a great day!

Hey trizzy,

I hope you get your fill if you think you aren't at your sweet spot yet. Are you still losing weight or hit a stuck part? If you are not losing, then you probably need a small fill. Maybe talk to Dr. Fitzpatrick to make sure.

My surgery date is May 21st. I am supposed to fly down on the 20th(Sun.), and pre-op tests and surgery on the 21st(Mon.). I am not sure how to do that because the only flights are early in the morning, or later in the evening. I don't want to get there too early, but want to be there in the daylight. My mom is coming with me.

I was told I need to lose around 18 - 20 lbs or more before and not sure how to do it. But will I am sure.

Did you shop alone with your husband or were you there with a group of bandsters? Did you pay in US dollars or change over to pesos? Kind of nervous about that part. I want to shop, but kinda nervous.

Take care,

Judy

My

Hi

I'm going in on Monday for the information session with Dr Emma Patterson. Anybody have any info on her, Good Sam Obesity institute and the cost? I've been told medicare will cover 80%. I would like to have a little info before I go.

Thanks

Marv:confused:

Hi Marv,

I started the process with Dr. Patterson a couple years ago. I went to the info seminar and this was before the Obesity Institute was even finished. It was great info, but if you are sure that your surgery will be covered, that is great, but if you are like me and not sure, then trouble could be ahead. My company had an exclusion for any weight loss surgery. I would have had to risk having a lot more bills by starting and going through the whole process and then have to appeal after appeal. Nope! Not gonna deal with that hassle. The process takes too long and I don't want to wait.

That is why I was able to withdraw my 401k and am scheduled for surgery on May 21st with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. He is highly recommended and way more experienced and knowledgeable about the lap band. I even have his book. Anyway, it will be a nice vacation for me too.

Don't get me wrong though. Dr Patterson is good from what I have read about her and her colleagues, but I really didn't want to have to deal with the long process and appts. it would have taken. Besides, it wouldn't have been covered anyway.

Hope this helps.

Judy

Forgot to mention the cost. When I went to the seminar and she was talking about the cost if your insurance didn't cover it, it would be around $25,000 and $35,000 for gastric bypass. GULP!

I am only paying $8500 with Dr. Ortiz and it included tranportation to and from the airport, hotel, clinic and back, surgery, all pre-op tests, nutritional counseling, EKG, and a night in the hospital. If you would like to check it out just in case, the website is www.lapbandforum.com, and the website is www.obesitycontrolcenter.com.

I went to the seminar with Dr Patterson yesterday and was impresed with the information we were given. As a medicare patient I was told my out of pocket cost would be fourteen hundred and twenty five dollars for the lap band. I sent my paper work in today, I'm going for it!

Marvelous Marv in Astoria:)

I went to the seminar with Dr Patterson yesterday and was impresed with the information we were given. As a medicare patient I was told my out of pocket cost would be fourteen hundred and twenty five dollars for the lap band. I sent my paper work in today, I'm going for it!

Marvelous Marv in Astoria:)

That's great news Marv! Good Luck and full speed ahead! ; )

Peace,

Judy

Hey Bingo--sorry so long--life gets so hectic around here sometimes!

I think I am at my sweet spot--I lose five pounds all at once, then nothing for two weeks--then five pounds--AHHH! So far I've lost 55 pounds--but I don't eat the way I should. I now LOVE to eat Soups, mashed potatoes, that sort of thing, so my weight loss is slow.

I didn't switch any money over to Pesos. Everyone/everything down there will accept American money. I had no problems with taxis or shops. Just make sure to bring money for tips for the van driver, and taxis, etc...

Are you going to do the week long Protein shake diet before you go? Do you plan on starting to diet now to lose the weight? I was worried that I had not lost enough before I went down, but I lost some, and obviously enough for the surgery!

For everyone else--I have heard good things about Dr. Patterson--I too called her office for the price, and she quoted me around the same amount of $20,000-$30,000.. NO WAY I could afford that, so I went to Ortiz and paid $8,500.

Hey trizzy,

Congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome in less than a year. Yes I am doing the 2 Protein shakes and a lean cuisine a day. Some times are good, some rough, but I am getting my fruits and veggies together to snack on. In three strict days, I have lost around 6lbs so far. Dr. Miranda told me to lose as close to 36lbs by my surgery date which is May 21st. I don't think that will happen, but i have a good start. :D

That makes me feel better about the money situation. How far from the hotel was the shopping area? Can you walk or have to take a taxi?

Thanks for all the info.

Judy

Hey trizzy,

Congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome in less than a year. Yes I am doing the 2 Protein shakes and a lean cuisine a day. Some times are good, some rough, but I am getting my fruits and veggies together to snack on. In three strict days, I have lost around 6lbs so far. Dr. Miranda told me to lose as close to 36lbs by my surgery date which is May 21st. I don't think that will happen, but i have a good start. :)

That makes me feel better about the money situation. How far from the hotel was the shopping area? Can you walk or have to take a taxi?

Thanks for all the info.

Judy

Hi bingo--Congrats on your weight loss already!! That is so great! I would definetly take a Taxi to the shopping area. It was pretty far, and by the time you get done walking there, you wouldn't have any energy left to shop!! I did pretty good at first--but I tired out about an hour into shopping. We took a taxi back--and I was so relieved to get into bed! Also--don't worry when the taxi drivers drive like a bat out of He__, they are the craziest drivers I have ever seen--but they got us there and back safe and sound!

Again--congrats on the weight loss already--you're doing great!

Thanks trizzy. I am struggling but holding up. It does scare me to take a taxi down there, but hopefully there will be some other bandsters there so we could all go together.

Should we take our ID's or something with us when we shop? Don't want to get into any kind of trouble there. :)

Take care,

Judy

Hey everyone, I am pretty new here. I am going to have my Lap Band done in Mexico by Dr. Aceves at the end of the month but I am wondering, for thoes of you that had your surgery done in Mexico, where do you go for your aftercare?

Hey everyone, I am pretty new here. I am going to have my Lap Band done in Mexico by Dr. Aceves at the end of the month but I am wondering, for thoes of you that had your surgery done in Mexico, where do you go for your aftercare?

Hi bethicle,

I am in Oregon and also having surgery in Mexico, but with Dr. Ortiz. My surgery date is May 21st. I have been reading up alot about different issues regarding lapband and biggest one that every one is concerned about is aftercare.

Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick has come highly recommended for fills and aftercare if you can't or don't want to go back to Mexico for fills. She is in Milwaukee. Her website is gastricbands.com.

Hope this helps you!

Peace,

Judy

Thanks Judy. Kelly Fitzpatrick is who I was referred to as well for fills, but what about stuff other then fills? That is what I am worried about, like if something goes wrong and I need to see a Dr in the area right away. Does she deal with all aftercare? And does she bill insurance?

~Beth

Thanks Judy. Kelly Fitzpatrick is who I was referred to as well for fills, but what about stuff other then fills? That is what I am worried about, like if something goes wrong and I need to see a Dr in the area right away. Does she deal with all aftercare? And does she bill insurance?

~Beth

As far as I know she is available for aftercare and treats Mexico surgery patients. I believe that she doesn't take insurance because most patients that had their surgery in Mexico, had insurance that does not cover any kind of weight loss surgery or treatment. I am very sure that she deals with all aftercare problems and such.

I hope that cleared up your question?

Have a great day!

Judy

Hi, I can't believe I never saw this thread. I like the way you can click on

I was banded by Dr. Tersigni on the coast and he charges 10,000.00 It didn't seem worth it to me to go to Mexico when Dr. Tersigini is 5 min from my house. He's really great. I know a lot of people come from Portland

to go to him. The lady that was banded the same day as me by him,

lives in Portland. She said they are now holding support groups

in McMinnville.