Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

I am feeling a little panicky right now myself. I am having all kinds of insurance problems because I am doing the lap band as a self pay, and another surgery that the insurance will pay for. I was under the impression that the cost would be less by having both surgeries done at the same time. Now I find out that it is not true. I could go in today and have the band and next week for the hernia surgery and it would be the same price as doing them both together. I found out that I have to pay $15,200 and am seriously having second thoughts about the lap band. I have been freaking out for a few days now. My date is scheduled for April 17th to have the lap band and the hernia repair. Is anyone else having to self pay for the lap band, and if so is my figure in the right ballpark? Thanks for any help!!

Jane

I am feeling a little panicky right now myself. I am having all kinds of insurance problems because I am doing the lap band as a self pay, and another surgery that the insurance will pay for. I was under the impression that the cost would be less by having both surgeries done at the same time. Now I find out that it is not true. I could go in today and have the band and next week for the hernia surgery and it would be the same price as doing them both together. I found out that I have to pay $15,200 and am seriously having second thoughts about the lap band. I have been freaking out for a few days now. My date is scheduled for April 17th to have the lap band and the hernia repair. Is anyone else having to self pay for the lap band, and if so is my figure in the right ballpark? Thanks for any help!!

Jane

Hang in ther Jane!!! I'm fortunate that my insurance pays 100% I think the cost is somewhere at $20,000. Go for the band, think of your health.

Jennifer

Hi everyone...one more day down...Tracy, I was on the list before, but I don't see me on the spreadsheet...My surgery is on April 3rd. Thanks for keeping track of everything! You are doing an amazing job!

Jane, I'm self pay. The total out of pocket expense for me is 15,600 so it sounds like you're definitely in the right ball park. I'm using funds that I set aside for school to pay for my band. For me, there was no point in going to school where I was miserable because of my size. Professionally, when I graduate from school, I would have no options or jobs because of my weight. (I'm a soprano.) I'm trying to live in the present and pray that I'm making the right call. Yes it's a LOT of money but like the commercials:

One Lap Band: around $15,600

A Few Sessions with a Therapist: $300

Gym Membership: $45 a month

A life that is no longer defined by obessions over food, pounds lost/gained and painful social situations: Priceless

Good luck with your choice. Ask yourself if last year at this time you had gotten the band, how different would your life be today? Have a goodnight.

Misty

I was the same way, My surgery has been scheduled since Feb 22 and once I got clearance and the date, I had a few bad weekends but for the most part, I am living on chicken and salad and cheese sticks. I am going to the beach so we will see what happens, I'm going to grill chicken and bring it for salads during the day and try to be good at night

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd go ahead and throw my name inthe hat. I am scheduled for surgery April 26th too!! Very very excited!!

Hello fellow April bandsters:-)

Im April 2006 Bandit .-) and wanted to wish you best of luck.

You all will be fine and out form the surgery soon!!! I agree to have the band done in April is great you can go outside and walk, also the spring energy is in the air!

if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask, but I bet you already know everything:-))

GOOD LUCK again!!!

Eva

WOOHOOO

Went to the doctor today, Dr. Freeman in Anniston,AL. He is SO nice, and so friendly and made me very comfortable. I am so glad I decided to check him out, this is what I needed. A doctor that made me feel good about my decision and cared about me, not my money.

I am SOOO excited guys. I can NOT wait. Add me to the list!

Lap Band Date: April 16, 2007.

:clap2: :clap2: :D :D :)

Congrats! that is my date too! going to be a great day

Wow - there is so much going on.

To everyone who is self pay - that is just amazing! I am lucky my insurance is paying 100% but bcbs and they had such a long long list of things to do, I've been working on approval since last Feb.

Sheila - I totally understand about school. I am in the works of getting my degree in Construction Management, which being a female in a man's world is hard enough but then add in an overweight female and that just plain SUCKS! It is hard and depressing to go to school right now because I am having such a hard time getting a job. I need to be back to work in May when I won't get any unemployment anymore.

March is almost over! getting closer by the minute.

Tracy

I cannot update that spreadsheet, I can highlight when i sign in but can't type

any suggestions?

High 278

current 250

surgery 250

high size 22/24

current 20

I so can't wear jeans the way I am made, waist is always big to find jeans that fit around my legs properly

I can't wait to fit into my Levi's again!

Jane -- Maybe you should shop around for a doctor that will reduce his fee for the lapband .... i mean if he's getting paid by insurance for the hernia repair, he should be willing to reduce his fee dramatically for the band!? I've heard several times on this board of people going in for a band and the doc found a hernia and repaired it "while he was in there"....for no additional fee, I'm sure. So maybe shop around a bit?! My doc is charging $12,900 now, but he used to charge $15,000....so that is in the right ballpark.

Are you freaking out about the band itself, or just the money you have to shell out for it? There's no hurry ....take some extra time to make up your mind if you have to! Be very comfortable with your decision. But all of us have certainly gone thru times when we were freaking out....and then came out the other side again. I think we're all pretty darn excited.

Good luck to you!

Hey there, you need to creat a CUSTOM avatar, and then make sure it is small enough to show up. Usually it will tell you if it is too big.

:)

hey, quick question... why doesn't my avitar show up on my posts. I added one to my profile. or can ya'll see it but not me?

haydee

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! another band twin for me!

I'll go add you and all the rest to the main list.

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd go ahead and throw my name inthe hat. I am scheduled for surgery April 26th too!! Very very excited!!

<TABLE class=tborder id=post429602 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>janiebug user_offline.gif<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_429602", true); </SCRIPT>

</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Mar 2007

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_429602><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->april 2007

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I am feeling a little panicky right now myself. I am having all kinds of insurance problems because I am doing the lap band as a self pay, and another surgery that the insurance will pay for. I was under the impression that the cost would be less by having both surgeries done at the same time. Now I find out that it is not true. I could go in today and have the band and next week for the hernia surgery and it would be the same price as doing them both together. I found out that I have to pay $15,200 and am seriously having second thoughts about the lap band. I have been freaking out for a few days now. My date is scheduled for April 17th to have the lap band and the hernia repair. Is anyone else having to self pay for the lap band, and if so is my figure in the right ballpark? Thanks for any help!!

Jane

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hi Jane, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I am self pay my doctor charges $9900. He is in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Denver</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">CO</st1:State></st1:place>. Also don’t forget about <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region>. I was scheduled there first for $8500. I choose CO because I live here and it is really convenient and the doctor does $15 fills forever is you are his patient so it the cost seemed to weigh out. Don’t give up. I am scheduled for the 18<SUP>th</SUP> of April and still don’t have all the money but I will get…. I know this is what I want. Good luck! <o:p></o:p>