Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Laura- Your ring is beautiful, my favorites are the solitaires!!

Terry- you forgot to let me know what size band you have?

Tracy- thanks for the kind words of encouragement, I need them!!

and can you give me advice on my 9 day vacation with my husband and teenage boys who eat at least 10 times a day due to there extremely active lives? I just don't want to gain!! Yikes.

As for the other Purple goddesses on the boards- You are an inspiration as well and I love hearing your stories of success. It makes the beginning of my journey seem way more hopeful. I still find myself thinking about all the times I've failed at an attempt to lose. I know it's just a habit to think that way. I am trying to change that stinkin thinkin!

LOL I'll be reading the replies.

Hi Smyly-Congrats on your surgery. I was banded Apr 9 and have only lost 15 lbs total. Don't feel like you aren't doing amazing, you ARE! I never officially asked if I could be a Shrinking Violet, I just said here I am and I guess I shouldv'e asked. Tracy if you can hear me?? Can I be a shrinking violet please??

Smyly-best of luck and keep us posted on your progress, it's what keeps me going!!

TracyinKS

How do I join your shrinking violets club? I was banded April 30th. I would love to be a part of your support team and get some support as well.

Yvonne

Ok, this is ridiculous I know, 3rd post in a row Geez. I just have to get something off my (rather too large) chest. I haven't started exercising yet. Ok I said it. My port site is still sore and the Dr. told me not to exercise until there was no pain. Am I just putting off what I really don't want to do? Help me friends.

mdrai-It will be 20 years for me and DH in Sept. I wanted to tell you congrats. I think its an amazing thing!

Girls, bring on the exercise reprimands.

Thanks cheifsfankatie. I love all the feed back I get through this forum. I felt like because I plateaued that I was all alone. It's just strange that we barely eat 1000 calories and can still stay the same. I guess my body will catch up eventually. I just wish it would hurry up and catch up to my willpower. Thanks again for being there. It's hard to talk to people who have no idea what we are all going through or have been through already.

one more thing cheifsfankatie, how do I get that tickler for weight progress at the bottom of my posts?

Smyly- there is a website tickerfactory.com and you make your own there. I am sure all of the rest of the Violets are LTAO because I had so much trouble doing it and then getting it into my posts. Just make the ticker and then paste it to your signature.

I made it sound easy and if you still need help let me know and I will try to help you out. I am losing so slowly Smyly, it will be nice when I see a lot more weight come off too. I am hoping after my 2nd fill!!

Talk to you soon.

Hi everyone!

Katie, if your port site is still sore, take it easy---if you are not fully healed on the outside, you are likely not fully healed on the inside either. If you think about it, the outside is dry and open to the air, and would heal quicker. They were adament with me, about healing the inside stitches before causing any stress. Give it a little longer. In the meantime....walk. It will put no pressure on the incisions, inside or out. It will boost your metabolism, increase weight loss, and just make you feel better overall. It is a hard thing to get started doing, but before long, you find yourself addicted. You can vary your path, look around, check out other peoples yards, get ideas for your own! Breath deep, feel your lungs appreciate it! It may not feel like a big thing, but for your body, walking is a HUGE thing, it is so good for you to be out moving. Like Tracy is doing, getting her son, may not be miles and miles each day---but it all adds up! It helps emotionally as well as physically. How I cannot tell you, but the fresh air feels like it frees my brain, I am free to think, as I walk! I miss the days I haven't walked. I need to update my ticker---let me check my calendar. For the month of May, my actual total is now 30.5 miles walked. Will change it later!!!

Laura, I know exactly how she meant with the ring. When something comes along that makes me slow down and look back, at our lives, and how they have changed since the engagement, it does bring on a sense of melancholy....in a way. The fact that we are looking back at that as opposed to looking forward to that! I am happy at the place I am in life, I love having grandbabies to spoil and send home, I do not want another baby of my own (scares me even to type that!!!!) I think back of our kids when they were little, now married and even with kids of their own! The buying/building of a new home....we contemplate that again every so often, but our home is paid for, and it is hard to consider going in debt again!!! I think the feeling is because I know my past was a happy time overall, and of course the future is unknown! With Rick's health issues the future is very scary to me, so looking back and smiling at the memories, is a good thing. Knowing you have all of it to live through, is something else to smile about.

My DH as I told you proposed in the bathroom!!! Kinda.....We too were living together, which irritated the hell outta our families!!! We each had children we were raising, and we were doing that just fine together, but they wanted us married. My former marriage was extremely abusive (ending in my attempted murder---him in prison---bad), so I flat out refused to marry again! So we moved in together, and went on with life, raising kids, working, and getting the get married lecture at every family event. Then it all changed!!!

One afternoon.....Feb. 20th to be exact.....I come in the front door, and there were Hershey kisses all over the floor, a trail of them leading in the door, and across the living room, into the master bedroom, I expected to find him in bed!!! Nope, no honey there!!! The trail led on into the bathroom!!! Stopping at the shower, which had a heart taped to the door that said "open me". Now the shower isn't runninng, so I don't expect him to be in there---but am cautious just in case!!! Open the door, and no honey there either, but a huge bouquet of lillies (my favorite flower) hanging from the shower head! I took them down and as I was looking at the card which just said "I love you", I heard him, he was leaning against the door jam looking at me, I thought he looked pretty full of himself at the time, looking back I recognize the nervous bravado!!! I still had no idea what was coming! He backed me into the vanity, and very seriously told me "Now that I have kissed the ground you walk on, and showered you with flowers, will you do something for me?" I was thinking naughtly things!!!! Then he dropped to his knee and said to me "trust me enough to be my wife?" I could not respond! I could not breath! Marriage? I hated marriage! I loved him I didn't want to ruin that! But I loved him too much to say no---so finally through the tears I said yes---we married 2 weeks later, in a kids only wedding--not even inviting family!!! On the spur of the moment, we called a judge friend and did it! I have NEVER been sorry. It wasn't marriage that was bad it was my ex. We have had ups and downs, and through it all much, much more laughter than is likely our share!!! He admitted to getting help with the proposal from his sister....and here I have been so mad at her----shame on me!!!

Laura---don't let the details of the wedding spoil it---do what you want that will make the 2 of you happy. Plan to enjoy it--and your future together.

In the meantime, even a PCP can prescribe you something stronger for abnormal bleeding, or give you a referral, which then your insurance should pay for.

OK, I have wrote a book!!!!

Kat

Day 2 of Fill 2 is going pretty well, I guess. Seems kinda like those 1st post-surgical days....feels like there's some swelling. I'm hoping some of this restriction will back off a bit. This a.m. I had cottage cheese and canned pears (about a cup), eaten in 30 mins. For lunch I had about 3/4 c broccoli cheese Soup then a soft ice cream from McD's. I'll probably have a couple of scrambled eggs tonight before I go to the gym. It's chest, abs and biceps tonight -- Yippee! :) Quads are very sore today -- can't hardly walk down the stairs!! But that's OK! :grouphug:

TracyinKS - Really happy to hear that you've started walking. That JUST DO IT mantra really does come in handy! I use it all the time! The other one I use is: FEET ON FLOOR. If I can just get my feet on the floor and move one in front of the other, eventually I will get to the gym! It helps to have a set time, too....like I have to be there by 6:30p. Especially if I have an appt. with the trainer!! I wasn't too sure about this trainer thing to start with, but I'm all over it now.

OK VIOLETS......... I will not be walking tonight BUT...... I will be doing something..... remember the lady I helped to get a job here a couple weeks ago... Well, we were able to make her permenant and I did her orientation today (Benefits Junk) at the end when I had dismissed the other new hire, she started opening up to me about her story and how she came to be in Leavenworth and why she is fighting to stay in the US.... (its very interesting) I then asked her on a personal level if she needed anything at home...... (she is a very good lip reader, but the translation sometimes gets whacky without tones, so when she realized what I was asking she got all teary and said OH MY YES, everything... it was a short list of what she actually has... things like borrowed camping cooking equipment a cast off couch left in an empty apartment, borrow bed........ I looked amazed so she told me that when she moved here she was allowed 10 boxes of belongings (ex was military)

short version is that I am picking her up after work tonight and I am taking her to my sisters and my moms to see if they have anything that she could use........ (Sis was getting ready to go to Good Will with an entire van full of stuff including a writing desk that was my grandpa's, bicycles and god knows what else) My mom has a complete storage unit of her late mother in laws belongings that have no home and were waiting for a garage sale....... I myself have an overload of blankets and sheets that I'm going to give her...........

The really sad thing is....... this person went with another employee last week out side of town to Kohls and Old Navy........ and the woman was AMAZED she had never been outside of Leavenworth......

IMAGINE coming all the way over here from the UK,and the ONLY US TOWN YOU've seen is LEAVENEWORTH Kansas!~!!!!!!!

My sis and mom live outside town (not far) but I'm also taking her to dinner............

It really makes you realize how lucky we are.

Kat- Oh my gosh that is sooo cute!!!! I didn't even get the correlation of the kisses or flowers in the shower till you said what he said! How CLEVER and romantic! :)

I'm glad this marriage worked out for you. His family doesn't care about us living together, but boy do my parents. They were married a month out of high school, and think that if they could do it, we could too..

It was ongoing debates with us, till I just ignored them when they made snide comments. My dad told all his buddies we were engaged this whole time, he'd refer to him as my fiance since before we were deciding that.. and I corrected him one day, saying he's going to ruin it when we really do get engaged.. and he said "Well, I'm not introducing him as the man sleeping with my daughter".(actually he was more graphic than that) PARENTS! Oh well, that's all in the past.

The cake testing didn't happen, the lady is CRAZY and I love it. She gives you a big bag of samples.. the fillings, icings, and cake slices.. so you can mix and match with family and decide what you like. Me, mom and my granny are getting together tonight to do it. Fiance just said bring home what we decide on and he'll taste it.

But the cake lady was soo entertaining. She literally seems a bit crazy, but she's meticulate with her baking and kept griping about local bakers that use artifical ingredients. She said even her extracts for her cakes are home made.. from oil and alcohol. And she'd follow with 'Don't believe me? I'll show you my cabinets!!'. Then she said "I'm twisting your arm, now you have to eat a bite of everything in the sample bag, in the order I told you!".

So that was that, can't wait to try them. She let us taste a bite of the vanilla buttercream.. mmmmmmmmmmm. It wasn't sweet at all, I loved it.

From the look of it, we'll likely go with some sort of pound cake or chiffon cake with buttercream icing.. the filling I just don't know! I still don't like the idea of the fruit fillings.

Tracy that's so cool! I wish you lived closer, we have a HUGE *beautiful* couch that we don't use (we have 2 others), and I can't bring myself to take it to good will just yet, I keep waiting for someone who says they need a couch to take it! Along with several other nice furniture items.. I don't know how we aquired all of it, but I won't get rid of it and we don't use it, so our 3rd bedroom has a couch, overstuffed armchair, canopy bed.. :)

Hi there my purple pals!

Wow, I wish I had caught Lunasa before she left, I'd love to know if she has a way to get the music to the song she posted. My Dad was a Navy man even, so it would be great!!!

!

Kat

Hi Kat:

I did a little research on the web -- here is the music:

Christy Moore : Voyage - Listen, Review and Buy at ARTISTdirect

or you can google: voyage christy moore

Have a great night!

Gina

Hello fellow Shrink'n Violets!!!

We just arrived home a short while ago. I didn't have time to get on the internet at the hotel. DH did fine during the surgery, but had a rough time in recovery. He woke up very disorientated and was calling for me and had a hard time breathing. Said he felt like an elephant was sitting on his chest. He spent 2 hours in recovery, but everything turned out fine. The figure the pressure was from the gas. He's home now and we leave in the morning for 5 days in Canada. He did great on the ride home and is doing super on his sipping broth and juice and skim milk. I'm very proud of him and just so glad the actual surgery is over. Doc said he did great and put in a 10cc band. DD, DH and I were at the hospital from 9:30 a.m. til DH was back in his room at 4 p.m. Makes for one very long, stressful day, but everything is kewl now.

I see I have about 10 pages of posts to read. Could you Violets not talk for a few days until I get home????.. I'm going to feel sooooooo out of the loop!!! I'll try and catch up tonight after I go get some things at Walmart and get everything packed up for the trip.

I can't even imagine how many pages I'll be behind being gone 5 whole days!!!!

Everyone have a great week and remember to follow those bandster rules!!!