Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

It's short-term & you're freaked out about it, so why not give liquids a try? High-protein shakes like Atkins or something, w/a chicken breast thrown in here & there & maybe a salad once a day?? If THAT doesn't do the trick, don't know what would! (Please note that I'd never recommend this for any kind of long-term program, but just to kick start the weight loss in a rapid manner to lessen your worries & get you to surgery.)

Jennifur-

Re: unlimited fresh green veggies - does that include fresh steamed broccoli and green Beans? (I know no peas = b/c high carbs)

What about crystal lite? Is that ok?

Thank you for your help!

Bandedme

Hi Michelle -

I have some slimfast and carnation instant Breakfast shakes in the refrigerator. I have tried them. To be honest - I REALLY hoped I could drink them but they make me feel sick. I cannot have splenda - does horrible things to my intestines and gives me headaches. I don't know if those shakes have splenda or sucralose in them.

Are there any other Protein Shakes out there? I was thinking of going to GNC today.

Bandedme

Hi everyone! I was jumping around and reading and I'm really glad I came to your thread. I was banded on Valentine's day 07 and have lost 23 pounds. ONLY 23 pounds!!!! I know you think that's great....but after banding you will lose quickly for awhile and then it slows down until your 1st fill. This is the time called bandsters hell. A weight plateau..yuk!!!

My 1st fill will be on Thursday..yea.

Good luck to all of you with your surgery and new life!!!!

Michele

Jennifur -

Question - will doing this diet that you outlined below get weight off in just 2 weeks? My surgery is 4/5/07 and I have a pre-op consult with my dr on 3/28/07. I've lost just 6 pounds since 1/17/07 and MUST GET SERIOUS about it FAST! My doc didn't say how much to lose before surgery, just that it was "recommended that I lose some." What the heck does that mean?! I do know, however, that he WILL NOT do the surgery if someone GAINS weight!

I'm freaking! What if the docs scale weights heavier than mine at home?! I was just at my ob/gyn for a physical last week and was 256 (my band docs scale weighed me at 262 on 1/17/07).....but I know all scales weigh differently!!!!

I'm thinking that I will definitely take my shoes OFF when I get weighed for the pre-op appt!!!!!

NEED HELP and ADVICE!!!!

I am really NOT much of a breakfast eater, but can do a strawberry la creme yogurt. The thought of a chicken breast in the morning.....ugh! (ick!) Is that that time to have an orange?

I'm not crazy about oranges either - BUT WILL DO WHATEVER it takes for the next 2 weeks to "get it done!!!"

Thanks ladies!

Bandedme (4/5/07)

unlimited grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast, no salt

unlimited fresh green vegies, celery, lettuce, cucumbers -

3 small/med oranges a day

make sure to drink Water

Bandedme -

you are not suppose to eat cheese and I did, I put fresh parm in my salad for taste and ate a cheese stick in the am.

LOL i didn't have chicken for breakfast but i would grab a piece of low sodium turkey breast - a cheese stick and orange, have celery or cucumbers mid am, chicken salad with lots of chicken for lunch with another orange. orange for snack (not my favorite either) and broc & chicken for dinner. I use cooking spray and garlic and cook chicken & brock in the same pan for flavor. I also use lots of hot peppers in everything for flavor.

I should get back to being 100% for this week, I would love to lose 10lbs before I go to Myrtle Beach, more if possible - I have only lost 4lbs since my surgery was scheduled which is not where I wanted to be but I've maintained. I have tried to stick to it as much as possible but have also added in some bread and cut back on oranges.

Good Luck - I hope it helps or you find what works, but I do swear by this.

Jennifur-

Re: unlimited fresh green veggies - does that include fresh steamed broccoli and green Beans? (I know no peas = b/c high carbs)

What about crystal lite? Is that ok?

Thank you for your help!

Bandedme

Yes - Yes they are both great, I am a huge Broccoli fan so I have it every night for dinner. I even found a low fat broccoli/cheese Soup that i'm going to make for the mushie stage. LOL

Crystal lite, propel, Decaf ice tea. I found great flavored green tea at the market and make that as ice tea.

They do only recomment doing this for 3 days a month but I have done it since January for the most part and do feel so much better. Sick of lettuce and Broccoli from time to time, but much better:biggrin1:

Teacher - and all

I would take another 23 lbs easily. I can also see how that would be frustrating. I lost 26lbs quickly and then nothing for a few weeks, but i also think that might not be too bad if you are exercising to let your body get caught up with the loss?

Something I think about. That was part of the reason I didn't want the bypass - the thought of loosing 100lbs very quickly makes me wonder how you could even get caught up with that!

less than a month for me - SO EXCITED

Lean Meats

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->LeanMeats

Beef

Round

Look for the word "Round" on the label.

Choose any trimmed round cuts.

Trim all fat before cooking.

For example, choose:

Round Steak

Round Rump Roast

Round Tip Roast

Eye of Round Roast

Eye of Round Steak

Loin

Look for the word "Loin" on the label.

Choose any trimmed loin cuts.

For example, choose:

Tenderloin Steak

Tenderloin Roast

Sirloin Steak

Sirloin Tip Roast

Chuck

Choose from the trimmed chuck cuts listed below.

Chuck Arm Roast

Chuck Arm Steak

Chuck Mock Tender Roast

Chuck Mock Tender Steak

Ground Beef

Look for "85% Extra Lean" on the label.

Pork

Choose from the trimmed pork cuts listed below.

Canadian Bacon

Center Loin Chop

Ham, Cured

Leg Steak

Tenderloin Roast

Tenderloin Strips

Turkey

Choose any fresh or frozen turkey that is not breaded.

Remove the skin before cooking.

chicken

Choose any fresh or frozen chicken that is not breaded.

Remove the skin before cooking.

White meat is lower in fat

Fish and Seafood

Choose any fresh or frozen fish and seafood that is not breaded.

Choose water-packed canned fish

<!-- / message -->

Fibrous Veggies

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Fibrous Veggies

Originally Posted by Kimmer

"Speaking of Fiber, let's look at veggies. Rather than fiber supplements that are powdery, gloppy and/or expensive, we can choose a variety of veggies.

What about my low calorie example above? OK, let's look:

Mixed salad greens, 6 cups chopped, 7 gm fiber (8 capsules!)

Broccoli, cooked, 1 cup, 5 gm fiber (6 capsules!)

I changed the broccoli to 1 cup from .5 for the fiber example, but that still only adds 20 extra calories.

Let's add a few more veggie favorites of mine with their fiber counts:

Mushroom, raw, 1 cup - 1

Bell peppers, raw, .5 large - 1

Italian Tomato, raw - 1

Cauliflower, cooked, 1 cup - 3

Cucumber, raw 1 large - 2

Zucchini, 1 large - 4

Bean sprouts, 1 cup stir fried - 2

Spinach, 1 cup cooked - 4

Artichoke, 1 medium - 6

If were to add up the calories for this bounty of veggies, we'd come in at only 432 with 36 gm fiber! Nutritionists recommend 30 gm of fiber daily for healthy bowel function.

At maintenance, just 1 cup of cooked pinto Beans is 15 gm of fiber (half!) which can be absolutely delicious made in a low calorie way with Mexican spices to make "chili". It's also 25% of your RDA for Protein (incomplete but other protein choices will add the necessary aminos, or add chicken)."

<!-- / message -->

Tracy -- Who's Kimmer?

Jenn - I'm sorry you don't have anyone to be at the hospital with you :eek: I wish i could come and stay with you then get you home and tucked in. That's a drag. I think you should tell your dad but with the STRICT admonishment that he not tell anyone. Tell him that this is VERY IMPORTANT to you and you expect him to honor the confidence. Surely he can understand that!!! Right?

Terry: on a very great Low Carb website called Low Carb Friends, Kimmer was a gal who lost a BUNCH of weight following Low Carb, she taylored it to her needs and over the years became so popular that she has now started her own site, and I think she is even making money off it......

Regular induction levels of Atkins is 20 carbs per day... (minus fiber)... it allows, eggs, meat, cheese.. (does NOT count fat)

When some plateau, they go on the meat fast............... which is STRICT.. meat and eggs and water! (almost instant weight loss) but it is hard (for me to stick to)

Guys..... low carb works.. if done right, but for me I go off the wagon and gain it all back.... I KNOW.. that if I did STRICT induction levels I would lose aroun 30 lbs before surgery.... (I have done it so many times) but for some reason I can not bring myself to stick to it right now........

Low Carb helped my PCOS, and enabled me to get pregnant...... when shots, charts, and pills couldn't...... you'll never in a million years tell me it doesn't work.......... BUT... it is HARD to stick to for a lifetime.. and is the reason I'm here today.

show_my_gallery.php?instanceid=59586580

Me too, Tracy -- I was a die-hard low carber and a firm believer for 2 years. I still am, but not keeping my carbs anywhere near 30-40 a day. I can do maybe 70-100. I am looking forward to having the band as a tool get back to that healthy WOE.

Low Carb helped my PCOS, and enabled me to get pregnant...... when shots, charts, and pills couldn't...... you'll never in a million years tell me it doesn't work.......... BUT... it is HARD to stick to for a lifetime.. and is the reason I'm here today.

AMEN SISTER!!!

I have PCOS too and have been battling the low carb thing for YEARS. I could never get it right because they kept saying "net carbs" is what to look for. Uhmmmm NO. That doesn't work.

My doctor doesn't require weight loss before surgery, however he stressed that if we gained ANY weight by our pre-op appointment, he wouldn't do the surgery. So I've been so desperate to make sure I didn't gain, that I've lose somewhere between 22 and 25 lbs since my Jan. 3rd appt. Most of that was with ((Unfortunately)) lots of cheating!

However, I lost 7 lbs in one week by doing the following (warning: it wasn't fun, and i think it made my tummy 'upset', but it worked)::

Breakfast - 1 Advantage high Protein Drink (Chocolate Royale flavor)

Lunch - 1 Advantage high Protein drink and a bowl (around 2 servings) of canned green Beans

Dinner - Plain meat (mostly chicken or pork chops), and veggies (usually green beans again - i LOVE my green beans!). By "plain" meat i mean no sauses - just garlic pepper and a little salt.

All day - made SURE to get in all my Water.< /p>

Total carbs (not counting the carbs in the green beans) was 12 for the day (each of the chocolate royale shakes has 6g total carbs).

Again, not fun having the S-A-M-E foods over and over, but by God it worked....like I said, I dropped 7 lbs that week and I wasn't even exercising.

This past weekend was not so good diet-wise, but I'm back on program today.....I just have to remember what my nutritionist told us, "you're going to slip...know it, acknowledge it.....but DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP OVER IT! You aren't allowed to do that in our program. Just pick yourself up and start over at the next meal". And it helps SO much!!! I think that's half of what's kept me going so strong honestly. When I 'mess up' on my diet, I tell myself, "well, that was dumb, but it's done now...next meal i'm gonna be extra strict and get back on the right track". It really really helps!

As for the PCOS, it's been a pain - for the longest time I didn't even have to worry about birth control....((I do now though!)). But what a lot of people aren't getting when I tell them I'm having this surgery is that I can't keep the weight off alone. I've learned I can lose it, but it won't stay gone unless I get help. The band is going to be my help. My constant reminder, ya know? For the longest time I thought PCOS was always going to be in my way, something I'd never be able to take control of and get past, but now that I'm approved and getting banded in 2 weeks, I'm excited because I KNOW I'll finally beat it down and control it instead of it controlling me for once in my life!! :clap2:

I'll keep you all in my prayers!!!

-Panda-

Wow... thanks for all the great info, guys! While I am "kinda/sorta/sometimes/I mean to" following my doc's pre-pre-surgery recommendations, I think that once I get a date -- a glorious, actual, red-letter day DATE -- then I will begin a more committed, zealous low-carb plan to kick-start the losses & let my body know that we are SERIOUS this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Ok new delima of the day -

How about at exactally 1am last night my cell phone started glowing and the CD I was listening to started skipping, and for the last few months a cabinet door that was wedged shut would be open in the morning. In the cabinet are flowers (silk of course) that I gave to my cousin before she passed, and they were given back to me after. I guard them with my life. Oh and did I mention 1am last night was the anniversary of her death, I knew it in my heart but did look it up.

So my CD track was on 20 and was flipping back to 17,16,15,16,17,18,.... I am now completely a wreck as my surgery is on the 16th, and that popped up a few times 16.

So here are my fears that I have had for a long time. Not the proceedure itself, but waking up from being out for the surgery. This has been in my mind for months. I worry that maybe there is something else that they will find while they are in there. those seem to be the biggest things that cause Death. I worry about my children, what would they do without me? I am all they have! Maybe I can't remember the last time I was small, or I guess I can remember when I was 175 and was in a med and a size 10 jeans. Maybe I use my fat as a shield and afraid of loosing that and wont have a reason to stay to my self?

I felt calm after this, freaked about the track number thing but calm - should I take it as a sign that everything will be ok or change the date?

Does anyone else have these feelings or anything similar? I am so messed up right now and scared I don't know what to do