Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. says RNY for hiatal hernia :-(

UPDATE 2/13/07 - I will be getting the band and he will fix the hiatal hernia! March 5th is the big day! I posted this as a message, but figure I would put my update on the first post as well. Thanks for the posts guys!

---------------------------------

So I am in a predicament. After going through a huge process to get approved (I was denied, then later approved), I was elated to get my surgery going. I am scheduled for March 5th to get a LAP-BAND. However, I did my upper GI diagnostic test and it revealed a hiatal hernia. I was so worried that I may not be able to get the band that I talked to the nurses and they talked with the Doctor. Apparently, if someone has a hiatal hernia, he usually just goes for the RNY... but may make exceptions if the patient is dead set on a band.

So I have my appointment scheduled on Tuesday for him and I to discuss my options and decide if I can still do the LAP-BAND (he is getting sent the x-ray films), or if I have to do the RNY (and get the hernia repaired), which may be a safer bet.

I am soooooooo scared to get a RNY if need be. I am only a 23 year old guy who is very active. I had lost 80 lbs., gained it back, and now cannot lose anything despite all my hard work. I figured the band would be the the tool that would push me that little bit further to actually see results. The RNY just seems so final... and scary (not in a safety way, but I feel I am too young for it).

What do you guys think? I am struggling a lot with this. Thanks.

Put hiatal hernia in the search here. I have read posts of people getting band surgery, the doc finds the hernia while he is in there, and just repairs it. They still get the band. Don't be forced into getting something you don't want. Good luck

I had a hiatal hernia too and my doctor repaired it when he did my band. If my doctor had insisted on a RNY, I would have found another doctor.

I was banded a year ago and when they started the surgery found a hiatal hernia. The surgeon repaired it while he was there and then did the band. I have heard of quite a few people who have had both done at the same time...I'd check around for a different surgeon...I think he either isn't experienced enough or is biased and just wants people to have RNY.

Good luck!

Emily

my dr. also repairs hiatal hernias while he's doing the lap band. if your dr. doesn't do this--find another surgeon. where are you located? maybe there are people on here who can direct you locally to a good, experienced lap band surgeon, who knows what to do with a hiatal hernia AND a lap band. don't be pushed into any surgery you don't want.

regards,

girlin

nyc

My former surgeon said it depended on the size of the haital hernia. If it was a small one, there wouldn't be a lot of trouble, but if there was a large one, he considered it a contraindication for the band, since the diaphragm helps hold the band in the proper position.

Thing is, he is very experienced. He was one of the first three surgeons who have performed the surgery in the entire U.S. Everyone has recommended him as one of the best in Minnesota. He is at St. Joseph's hospital in the HealthEast system.

I think the hardest thing about all this is I have my surgery scheduled March 5th. If I change surgeons, it would be pushed back further. This is the only time I can do it since I am in school. That is the first day of Spring Break and can use the entire week to recover. I just have to talk to him Tuesday. Any tips to mention, please feel free to recommend.

Exude, I would follow your surgeon's advice. After all, he is very experienced, and he must have a good reason for not wanting to do lap-bands on patients that have hiatal hernias. Maybe you can talk with him about some of the other surgeries, not just RNY.

I have a "sizable" hiatal hernia, found during an endoscopy last fall. I sent copies of the report to my surgeon and specifically asked if it would be fixed which my surgeon said it would. I am to be banded on Monday so I will let you all know how that turns out.

Good Journey,

Terri

I was told that 4 out of 5 people to be banded have a hiatal hernia that is repaired while banding. It was no big deal fo my Dr. We need more information about hiatal hernia repairs before, during and after banding.

get the RNY wish I had now that I had to have the band removed.

Interesting comment. Why did you have it removed?

Please keep me informed terrriho about how your surgery went. I am very curious!

I will definitely consider what my surgeon has to say. I am just scared because I am scheduled March 5th (I muuust do it that day, it is Spring Break and I will lack health insurance in May when school gets out so I cannot do it another time).

What is everyone's experience with other surgeries? Someone mentioned other bariatric ones... I really know of the big 3, band, RNY, d-switch. Thanks guys.

I also had a hiatal hernia and he repaired it during surg. You are very young to do RNY and although it would be horrible- but if you get the band and want to do RNY you always can. If you get RNY you cant convert to a band. Although most likely the band will give you what you need. Do what your heart tells you is right, and use the info the dr gives you as just that "info" They are not all right all the time as you well know- Signed--AN RN to a Future RN-- Good luck with school!

Technically you Could convert to a band after By pass - but then you have all the complications and side effects from BOTH surgeries to worry about.

Stand tough. Ask your doc about repairing the hernia while he is in there. IF he is willing to do that - then go for it. I would definitely try the band first, while you are so young. If it has to come out, there usually aren't any lasting effects - which cannot be said of the by pass.

While there are some people who have not had good luck with the band, there are lots more that have.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. I'm going to fight hard to get the band. I really think that is what will work best for me. Post any more comments if you have some.