Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What They Don't Tell You About RNY!

So...I'm having surgery January 15 and start my two week liquid diet New Year's Day. Up until this point, I have not been so nervous. I've watched my 21 year old sister lose 110lbs in 5 months with VSG and was by her side every step of the way both pre-op and post-op. there are some days I get a little worried about malnutrition and Vitamin deficiency, but these fears are not enough to scare me away from the surgery I so desperately need.

I've done my research. Years of research! I know everything there is to know and then some because I watched my sister with her sleeve...

But what do I need to know that research probably has NOT prepared me for?? I want to hear stories! Facts! The ugly and the great truth of it! What's something YOU wish you knew or prepared for better going into surgery?

I want to feel fully mentally and physically prepared; so lets get some stories going without sugar-coating!! :)

You eat like a bird. My daughter started saying that to me "mom you eat like a bird" you vomit a lot. Have horrible mood swings. It's like having PMS your happy one moment & bam your yelling the next. Also everyone will see you thin/skinny but you will feel fat simply cause you get rid of the fat but increase or get a new look which is a saggy body so forget creams & lotions (plastic surgery is next)... Everything I mention I'm going threw. Some people rather be saggy then fat but I rather have a nice body not be fat or saggy. You trade in one issue for the next. You have to take Vitamins for the rest of your life. You hair falls out. You get very dry skin.

I think how much is plays with your hormones. For a while wacko periods, some acne and my hair was really oily for a while.

But I think the hardest I the mental state. I've lost about 28 pounds in six weeks and I feel like a failure. Really? I've never lost weight like that before. You can't compare yourself to others. If you do you'll go nuts.

Main thing is this is life changing. That part you really can't prepare for. Just take it day by day.

Good luck

You eat like a bird. My daughter started saying that to me "mom you eat like a bird" you vomit a lot. Have horrible mood swings. It's like having PMS your happy one moment & bam your yelling the next. Also everyone will see you thin/skinny but you will feel fat simply cause you get rid of the fat but increase or get a new look which is a saggy body so forget creams & lotions (plastic surgery is next)... Everything I mention I'm going threw. Some people rather be saggy then fat but I rather have a nice body not be fat or saggy. You trade in one issue for the next. You have to take Vitamins for the rest of your life. You hair falls out. You get very dry skin.

Oh my gosh! That explains why my skin is so dry this year! I thought it was the winter and I'm living in a high rise now. It's driving me insane!

Yesssss. I watch my sister eat a half a cup of something and be extremely full. The crazy thing is (she has the sleeve), she can eat as much icecream and chips as she wants without getting full, but if she has two bites of a burger or a bite of pizza, she's ready to throw up. Do any of you experience dumping? I guess I'm worried about that too! I'm also concerned about the hair loss.

How is everyone's health now? Any Vitamin deficiencies? Any other health related issues?

Yesssss. I watch my sister eat a half a cup of something and be extremely full. The crazy thing is (she has the sleeve)' date=' she can eat as much icecream and chips as she wants without getting full, but if she has two bites of a burger or a bite of pizza, she's ready to throw up. Do any of you experience dumping? I guess I'm worried about that too! I'm also concerned about the hair loss.

How is everyone's health now? Any Vitamin deficiencies? Any other health related issues?[/quote']

I experience the same thing. The density of the food is why meat makes you so full and yogurt just slips through. That's why we must eat Protein first and learn control over our liquids. I never experienced Hair loss, i took Biotin and used Nioxin products before surgery so I think not waiting until after to treat my hair well helped some also my hair is already very thin and I was freaked out about more hair loss. I really dont experience much dumping, i've eaten lots of different things with sugar and only get a very bad stomach ache and do not feel well except for one odd time when i ate something sweet ( I dont remember) and felt sick and faint for about an hour afterwards. It is obviously best to limit or eliminate these things from our diet anyway.

I take daily Vitamins and all tests have been normal as to my Vitamin levels. I've lost 70 lbs in 7 months and still want to lose 30 more. It is much slower now but I exercise 4-6 times each week for 1 hour and I walk and move much more than before so it is just a matter of time and vigilence to the diet guidelines. You will find your own way--just follow the guidelines and do not compare yourself to others this is a path you walk on your own as to how fast you lose that is up to your body. Exercise will help tremendously and we are all here to encourage and support you!

The stalls... For as little as we eat our minds can't wrap around the stalls. Head hunger. Mood swings for sure!!! Talking about it all the time... I have to watch myself because I know my family gets sick of hearing about it!!

My Mom is almost 3 years out, and keeping the discipline once the initial BAM has worn offis a daily struggle for her. She doesn't dump often (if at all), so that varies person to person too.

Over time does the pouch stretch allowing you to consume more? This is what I'm afraid of. I'm talking about years down the line, not right away. Thanks everyone...you've all been so helpful.

Over time does the pouch stretch allowing you to consume more? This is what I'm afraid of. I'm talking about years down the line' date=' not right away. Thanks everyone...you've all been so helpful.[/quote']

Lovealways, I had banded RNY to help prevent any stretching. Also, there was no way to be fully prepared for me to be broken up with food...to no longer be excited about eating something.

Over time does the pouch stretch allowing you to consume more? This is what I'm afraid of. I'm talking about years down the line' date=' not right away. Thanks everyone...you've all been so helpful.[/quote']

My doc said the way he does the surgery it is I possible to stretch the pouch.

For me I did not expect the regret I had after the surgery. I got sick about 2 months post op and I could not keep things down. During that time I regretted my decision everyday sometimes every hour. I also struggle with my head thinking I can eat more than I really can.

I believe it's if we keep ignoring the full feeling it might stretch over time but not always. I think as long as we keep a diet we can keep the weight off.

My husband had RNY in 2010 so I'm lucky to have experienced a lot of this 2nd hand. Biggest things for him were:

1. He wasn't prepared for the pain of the drain being removed. Said it felt like being "hit in the junk". Didn't want to walk and was very gassy and nauseous for a long time.

2. Although he had dry mouth and needed Water to wet it, sometimes it was too heavy (he almost ended up in the hospital with dehydration twice) so he kept two bottles of Water by the bed; one for swirling in his mouth and the other to spit the water back into.

3. His tastes changed, he became lactose intolerant, and for a while he had to force himself to eat. Just the smell of food sometimes really bothered him.

4. Later (about 8-10 months out) he found himself slipping into some of his bad habits like eating redvines, etc. however he still eats much less than he used to and maintains about a 60lb loss.

5. As much as I try, I cannot seem to get him to take his actigal or Vitamins. :(

Things he loved:

1. Showers, he got cold easily

2. His new recliner (best for sitting and sleeping)

3. Popsicles

I have heard the pouch can stretch up to, I believe it was 9oz. General pouch size eventually between 5 and 9oz.

I get dry mouth. Can drink and as a matter of fact I became mildly dehydrated drinking 60oz a day. Due to the change, my body wasnt proccessing liquids as it should. i believe that is all worked out now. I had to drink 80-90oz to build back up. It was so mild didn't need IV. I just got a headache and skin was drying. Just remember the pouch doesn't really hold liquids. The pouch is like a funnel that is why we can't drink 30 minutes after meals. I believe liquids stay no longer than 5 mins before its down and out of pouch.

Very little harm in stretching on the liquid stage due to the amount of time and ease of liquids to pass thru.

Like mentioned before every one us different. In amount they drink and weight loss. My Dr said Water before Protein while on the liquid diet stage. You need to stay dehydrated.

My Dr said to stay away from acidic foods, drinks the first two weeks for healing. Acidic foods may also cause reflux and esophageal, pouch irritation. I can only use 1/2 packet of the sugarless single Water additives such as crystal light, Kool aid, etc.

Lotion up to help retain moisture! Even though you may not sweat, your body still releases water thru the skin. Applying lotion will help retain some moisture to help fight dehydration and soften your skin ;-)

There is a supplement called papaya enzyme. If you haven't read it on another thread, it is supposed to help with the blockage of food if you swallow something too big. It helps digest the stuck food faster to ease pain quicker.

Good luck everyone who is going to have surgery. Just follow your Drs orders, most important.

Gen :-) 12/15/12

No matter how much you tell yourself and everyone else that you will be the ideal patient and follow the rules, you don't always have control over that.

Before surgery I thought "gah, it's going to be so easy to drink my 64oz and get my 60g of Protein, and I'll take all of my supplements and *I* won't be one of *those* patients with complications"

WRONG. I've been to the ER twice for iv fluids, still don't get my Protein in and haven't even thought about the damn Vitamins because I'm too worried about the first two!