Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phentermine

I went to my doctor yesterday and he gave me a fill.

I was pretty happy because I have had no restriction since I was completely unfilled in October. He has been gradually filling me like.10 cc at a time every 2 weeks. Not bad. But anyway since Octorber I lost 24 pounds but gained back 7 pounds. the doc was not upset but he decided to perscribe me 15mg of Phentermine per day. 1 Pill a day. I guess my big question is has anyones doctor perscribed this weight lose pill to anyone and if so how much have they lost? Also have you had any side effects?

I am a little scared about taking it because 6 years ago i was addicted to diet pills to the point where my liver almost shut down. My doctor did say I would not get addicted if I stick to the rules of 1 pill per day. I have not yet started to take them yet I would love to see what everyone else says

Thank you

Vickie

I've never taken it, but when I went in for my annual physical last week, my doctor had a flyer on her wall - she was looking for people to volunteer for an exercise challenge, and if your BMI was over 30 and you accepted she would put you on phentermine for the duration. I was curious, but didn't have time to ask about it. I will probably call in the near future.

I really don't have much nice things to say about phentermine. I wa son it for years and in the beginning i lost tons of weight but eventually gained it all back. The side effects stink, headaches, very moody my husband couldn't stand me and I always felt on edge very jittery, I don't no but just my personal opinion I got the band to get away from all that diet stuff.But everyone has different exsperiences .

Good Luck!!

Wow-Wheetsin You have lost alot of weight. Congrats.

Anywho I mad an appointment with the psych doctor and before I decide to take any type of pill I need to talk to her. My biggest fear is getting hooked.

15 mg is actually a pretty low dose of phentermine. I took it for years, at a much higher dose, and never had a physical or psychological addiction to it. The side effects can be bad -- joint pain, muscular pain, dilated pupils, sweating, dry mouth, weird taste in your mouth, inability to sleep, headaches, nervousness, moodiness, short term memory loss, increased heart rate and blood pressure. The longer you take phentermine, the higher your tolerance will be and you may not have any side effects at all. The thing I loved about phentermine was that I could go a whole day without even thinking about food. It completely shut down my appetite, both in my stomach and my head. But it certainly is not a long term solution to weight management. I would only use it again for a week or two if I was going through a particularly hard time controlling myself.

I have had very good results with phentermine taking the edge off of cravings and that starving feeling that invokes the binge reaction. The side effects usually last a few days on the higher dosage (37.5mg) - I think it depends on how well you tolderate new meds.

I was addicted to diet pills back in the late 80s when I was modeling and 130lbs *BOY, do I wish I weighed that now!!!* - but now find that I have no problem getting on and off of them without withdrawl physically or mentally. My doc will not script them - so I went out on my own and bought them online to get me through the really tough times and the liquid phases after fills.

i say this rx works! it will make you an insomniac though, i take 37.5 mg once a day, but i take 1/2 of one or i have no chance to sleep even with sleep meds. but you can go a whole day without thinking about food!! this is weird b/c i am an emotional eater....esp when bored or uninterested in what is going on around me, food was my diconnect button, i am looking forward to lapband surgery in late -07, i lost 26 lbs in 6 weeks on this medicine, it is safe and makes you feel great!! its b/c this drug increases your seritonin levels!! your happy chemical.

I was the skinniest and happiest in my life on the phen/phen protocol and thank goodness i didn't suffer any heart problems - I felt in my head i was 'normal' around food. I've since tried phentermine alone many times before banding and never ever had success - just jitters, no sleep, etc - it did nothing for my appetite. A friend's doc told her you needed a 'downer' (not the doc's words) to act together with the phentermine to make it effective.

I was just prescribed raductil which i think is merida - but i got it in Mexico from my surgeons nutritionist - so far it's working good - i have pretty much no appetite, i take one 15mg pill a day and i've lost a few pounds.

for me that is a miracle - i can eat 600-800 calories a day and not care about anything more. ihope it lasts

never thought i would diet or take pills with the band but for me i guess i need it all.

I think if you are nervous about taking it and have had some issues with dependency in the past - i would tread carefully - sure, if you take it as prescribed, probably no problem...but if you are prone to taking more..be careful.

My doctor prescribed this med to me this morning because I can not seem to get over the three day hump on low carb. She gave me 14 days worth, to take 1/2 pill twice a day.

Just wondering if it works. Guess I will find out...

For those of you that have taken phentermine with the band... Do you just open the capsule and consume the contents? It is a pill that can be opened up? I assumed it was time release and couldn't be. Just curious at this point. I am still losing weight but very slowly. I haven't updated my ticker. Thanks

I split the pill and take the 1/2 twice a day.

Am on day two and don't know exactly how this is supposed to work. Should I be feeling something by now? I am on the 37mg split to take at 11 and 4:30.

Still want to eat stuff. Have no clue what I am suppose to feel.

I split the pill and take the 1/2 twice a day.

Am on day two and don't know exactly how this is supposed to work. Should I be feeling something by now? I am on the 37mg split to take at 11 and 4:30.

Still want to eat stuff. Have no clue what I am suppose to feel.

I would not split the pill. I'd take it all in the morning. Check with your doc and see if that's OK. You'll definitely feel something when you take 37.5 mg at one time. You'll be moving at warp speed.

My opinion...this is not a good solution. Sure you'll lose weight, because your taking SPEED. Be very careful!

I am taking it right now and yes it works wonders! But i still have mixed emothions about the drug. HOnestley if I were you I wouldnt take it espically if you've had issues with addictions in the past. Most doctors (depending on the state) will not prescribe it for more than 3 months. Which is good. Just be very careful. In my opinion it can be an addictive drug. YOu WILL lose weight taking it but that can suck you in to wanting more!

Let me know what you decide and how its going.

For those of you that have taken phentermine with the band... Do you just open the capsule and consume the contents? It is a pill that can be opened up? I assumed it was time release and couldn't be. Just curious at this point. I am still losing weight but very slowly. I haven't updated my ticker. Thanks

It comes as a pill not a capsule so you can't empty the contents. You can break it in half. As some ppl have mentioned.