Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm almost done with therapy!

So, five and a half months ago I had my first apointment, had my pre op testing and my psych eval. The only thing that didn't check out was the psych eval. So, alas, I was required to attend six months of talk therapy to sort through depression and anxiaty issues, and I'm almost done! My therapist struck a deal with my surgeon to which I can forgo the last month and proceed with what needs to happen, so I had my appointment with my surgeon and I have my surgery scheduled for January 26th!

I start my liquid diet this week, and I'm terrified! any tips on surviving the liquid diet?

I don't have any tips because I'm waiting to finish my 6 month required diet:/...I haven't had my psych exam and am very curious what causes one to "fail". I would b so upset if I had to do therapy because of that and postpone surgery!

Any ideas why u failed..not meaning to be to personal or nosey!

Well, My surgeon chose the psych and I went in and she gave me a 165 T/F questionnaire about what I feel about my body, and the surgery that was compared to the answers of 300 successful surgery patients. And apparently the true false questionnaire indicated that I was suffering from anxiety and depression, and that I had to work through my issues before I become a optimal candidate for the surgery.

At first I was pissed off. Horrendously so. I was like, how in the hell do you decide that someone has problems from a TRUE FALSE questionnaire? I was baffled, especially because some of the questions were just plain crazy. Like, "are you unhappy with your body?" No shit, if I wasn't I wouldn't be here. or the kicker, there were like eight questions related to religion, like "do you feel as though you are part of god's plan?" I'm not a religious or spiritual person, so of course I said no do all of them because, well, I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean that I'm CRAZY! I was pissed off.

I requested a second opinion, but she was the only psych in my area who was certified to approve pre-surgery evaluations. So I went through with the therapy, which has been pretty beneficial, we've dug up some things from my past and cleared them from my mind, she convinced me to speak with my mother about things from my childhood and I feel like I'm a better person coming from therapy.

Well that's probably a good thing then(-:

It probably will lead to your success after surgery.but I would be upset as well!llol ..I really don't get the 6 month diet nor do most surgeons I've talked to.they say its just a roadblock to try & get people to give up on having surgery.But the psych part I understand . Because there are some people who have real issues that wouldn't make them a good candidate.glad ur on your way to a new u!

My insurance company stopped the required diet. Its cheaper to do the surgery than to treat obesity related health issues like diabetes. The surgery pays for itself in a very short time for the insurance company.

I had to do three months of talking to the Counselor after my psych exam, And mine used one of those crazy tests too, I was devastated. I mean I was so upset and angry and depressed that someone would decided I needed to talk to someone for three months before I could even get insurance approval. I felt like someone had kicked me in the gut. But I mustered through it. Don't think it helped anything. Most the time we talked more about her then me. But it was a hoop and I jumped through them. And now I am on the other side over two weeks out. I will tell you one thing the two weeks after sure has been quicker then any of the two weeks before. Wishing you the best and that you can get through all the things they required. Good Luck on the liquid diet. It isn't that bad. And you will be really pleased with the pounds you will drop right before surgery and it will help your surgery and your recovery. Sending you the most positive of thoughts.

So' date=' five and a half months ago I had my first apointment, had my pre op testing and my psych eval. The only thing that didn't check out was the psych eval. So, alas, I was required to attend six months of talk therapy to sort through depression and anxiaty issues, and I'm almost done! My therapist struck a deal with my surgeon to which I can forgo the last month and proceed with what needs to happen, so I had my appointment with my surgeon and I have my surgery scheduled for January 26th!

I start my liquid diet this week, and I'm terrified! any tips on surviving the liquid diet? [/quote']

I remember reading your post back when that happened and I would have been pissed too! But glad it all came out for the better in the end! Congratulations on your surgery date! The only tip I can give on the liquid diet is SF Popsicles! They are a life saver!!!!! Good luck!

xo Hilary

I remember reading your post back when that happened and I would have been pissed too! But glad it all came out for the better in the end! Congratulations on your surgery date! The only tip I can give on the liquid diet is SF Popsicles! They are a life saver!!!!! Good luck!

xo Hilary

I have heard a lot of people recomend sugarfeee pops! Lol

I was furious for about a month or so before I relaxed and realized that I might as well use the time I had to the fullest. It is starting to feel real. And it is freaking me out a little.

When I had my psych eval, I made sure I answered the questions with what they would want to hear. Not only did I have a questionnaire of approximately 250 questions(on paper), they asked me questions in person as well. The paper questions had the same question multiple times, worded slightly different each time.

Also, I'm from Canada and my health care which is free to all those who live in Ontario, covered the surgery 100%. So there might also be other factors which make it easier for people here to get approved.