Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Had a Great Experience. So Sue Me!

I've been reading a lot of posts about the complications, post-op pain, dumping and how horrible people have been feeling. I've been wanting to post about my positive experience but almost feel guilty doing so on this site. I'm not a complainer but honestly, I've had no complaints. Sorry this is long but here goes:

I'm 34. I wasn't on any medication pre-op and other than being overweight and a strong family history of various illnesses, I was kind of in good health. My wellness team at the Khalili Center was amazing and supportive from the beginning. Fortunately, I only had to do 2 days Clear liquids pre-op. Skip to post-op. I was released the next day, had no complications and felt no pain. Hello? No pain. The med was good (Lortab) and I stayed on top of the timing. Only took that for the the first two days. Gas? Not painful, just uncomfortable and the walking and moving around helped. Now at 3.5 weeks post-op and 20 pounds down I feel amazing. There were days that I felt so tired but now have so much energy. Just yesterday I felt a little depressed but I think that had more to do with not wanting to be at work this time of year. I almost feel like I was trained to go through this like a heavyweight champ. I know what I might experience in the coming months emotionally, physically, what to watch for, etc. and I stick to my plan to a 'T'. I have nothing negative to say about my experience thus far.

I'm shortening this quite a bit because I'm beginning to feel a little self-centered and that's not the point. I really just want to show that it's not all bad, or all about pain, or whatever else others' experiences have been. Especially to those that haven't gone in yet. People do experience legitimate complications and have legitimate post-op concerns but not everyone. Educate yourself. Talk to your doctors and NUTs. Know that you will feel tired or down one day. When it happens, don't panic. Let it happen, grab a tissue for your tears, understand why, and know that it will pass. Maybe you won't walk as much that day. Know that you might dump. Breathe, experience it, and take notes. That, too, shall pass. Know that you will stall occasionally. Move on. Take your supplements. Get your Protein in. Follow the diet and allow your organs to heal. Don't rush through the food stages and MOVE! The beginning is what sets the tone for the rest of this journey and the rest of our new healthy lives. Give yourself a fighting chance and do it right.

I have so much more I could write but this is already, like, a lot. If you have questions or comments about my positive experience, please feel free to ask. I had to get this off my chest.

Thanks for "listening".

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Thats good to hear!! Both sides should be told!! People need to hear the Positive side to give them hope!!

I've been reading a lot of posts about the complications' date=' post-op pain, dumping and how horrible people have been feeling. I've been wanting to post about my positive experience but almost feel guilty doing so on this site. I'm not a complainer but honestly, I've had no complaints. Sorry this is long but here goes:

I'm 34. I wasn't on any medication pre-op and other than being overweight and a strong family history of various illnesses, I was kind of in good health. My wellness team at the Khalili Center was amazing and supportive from the beginning. Fortunately, I only had to do 2 days Clear Liquids pre-op. Skip to post-op. I was released the next day, had no complications and felt no pain. Hello? No pain. The med was good (Lortab) and I stayed on top of the timing. Only took that for the the first two days. Gas? Not painful, just uncomfortable and the walking and moving around helped. Now at 3.5 weeks post-op and 20 pounds down I feel amazing. There were days that I felt so tired but now have so much energy. Just yesterday I felt a little depressed but I think that had more to do with not wanting to be at work this time of year. I almost feel like I was trained to go through this like a heavyweight champ. I know what I might experience in the coming months emotionally, physically, what to watch for, etc. and I stick to my plan to a 'T'. I have nothing negative to say about my experience thus far.

I'm shortening this quite a bit because I'm beginning to feel a little self-centered and that's not the point. I really just want to show that it's not all bad, or all about pain, or whatever else others' experiences have been. Especially to those that haven't gone in yet. People do experience legitimate complications and have legitimate post-op concerns but not everyone. Educate yourself. Talk to your doctors and NUTs. Know that you will feel tired or down one day. When it happens, don't panic. Let it happen, grab a tissue for your tears, understand why, and know that it will pass. Maybe you won't walk as much that day. Know that you might dump. Breathe, experience it, and take notes. That, too, shall pass. Know that you will stall occasionally. Move on. Take your supplements. Get your Protein in. Follow the diet and allow your organs to heal. Don't rush through the food stages and MOVE! The beginning is what sets the tone for the rest of this journey and the rest of our new healthy lives. Give yourself a fighting chance and do it right.

I have so much more I could write but this is already, like, a lot. If you have questions or comments about my positive experience, please feel free to ask. I had to get this off my chest.

Thanks for "listening".

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

I was the exact same way until 4 weeks out. Hope you stay having perfection. All in all my experience has been great. At almost 12 weeks out my wxpetience has been great minus a swollen pouch due to allergies once.

great post thanks for sharing. This journey is different for us all. And we need to share the positive as well as any negative.

I am elated you are doing so well.

I had a very similar experience myself and I am 6 months out. My weight loss has significantly slowed but I have lost 75 pounds and have never felt better! All of my ills are gone, diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea all gone! I am down to a size 12 from a 22, I take the stairs and keep up with my family while walking places.

The only problems so far were severe Constipation and vomiting 3 times very early on. I am happy that others are successful without problems or very few problems! Keep up the good work everyone! Good luck!

Thank you all for sharing! Yes, the experiences vary greatly but just because we're doing well doesn't mean we don't need support as well. I'm so thankful to have been able to do this for myself and for it to turn out well so far. Celebrate your achievements.

God bless!

Thanks for posting. Not everyone has bad experience infact a lot of us have feat experience after WLS which is wonderful that's how it should always be.

I had some pain my first couple days but nothing serious! Sent home 27 hrs after surgery... I'm exactly 1 week out and down 20lbs nothin to complain about here and glad there are so many others without probs :) congrats to us!

Omg i feel the same way, thank goodness no complications i had surgery 10/3/12..... Im praying nothing comes up in future....

Thanks for the positive. I am glad things are going great. I hope mine is like that. Tomorrow morning!

Your words are very inspiring' date=' thank you so much for sharing.[/quote']

Thank you for reading, zuzuspetals!