Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just want to bang my head against the wall...

Probably gonna make some enemies here but why would you go through a surgery like gastric bypass and eat carbs and drink alcohol and try to go back to the way things used to be. It is driving me crazy. I'm successful because I follow the plan. You will not hear me whine about stalls in weight loss... It's part of the plan. But really ladies and gents the surgery is a tool to be used and not abused. We have all been overweight for awhile and know what makes us fat. Why do we insist on trying to go back to old ways!

I'm right there with ya! My hubby's best friend's girlfriend had a RNY several years ago, and has managed to go back to her old habits! She eats huge portions of any and every thing, drinks, drinks beverages loaded with caffeine, smokes, and takes pleasure in lecturing me on what I should or should not eat or do! She is now much heavier than she once was, and is back on meds for high blood pressure and diabetes! Makes me pity her....

my superpower is......

No enemy here! I read some of these threads and wonder the same thing! Thankfully, I had an uneventful surgery. Recovery has been great and I follow my plan to a 'T'. I'm going through a stall right now but guess what? It happens. I just don't get it. Some people are trying to eat cupcakes and pizza, etc. Why would you do that? I don't even want that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I agree 10000000% with you, I alwasy say you have to work WITH the surgery, it is only a tool not a cure. It won't work without your imput, dedication, EXERCISE, and commitment to the WHOLE plan. If you don't follow you will be right back were you started in no time !!!!

I made a promise to myself and I am following the plan my doctor has for me and I am doing fantastic, but I watch what I eat, I workout a hour + DAILY, and its working for me. Yes have I had a 2 month stall -- i sure as heck did but then I started losing again. It all depends on YOU !!!!

AMEN! I know people who have had the surgery and then went right back to smoking, eating crap, drinking alcohol, hell...even smoking pot and just treating their body like garbage. What is the point? Then they complain about STALLS!

I was just telling someone last night about this. Saw one girl who is 4 days post op already purée food and eating mash potatoes and gravy. First thought was I thought you were only allowed Protein Shakes and Water first 2 to 3 weeks. It was freaking me out. 1 girl 3 weeks out said she was feeling so good going to a friends party wanting to know if she could drink alcohol. Really ? These are the same ones who are going to poo poo on this surgery. Yes I know it's hard but why do they want to be fat all over again? Makes no sense to me

Now this would be the true meaning of someone taking the easy way out. They lose weight then say ok I know how 159lbs looks like time to eat w.e. and get fat again. What ashame. Smh

I work in a psychiatric facility. We see a lot of post op WLS patients in crisis on our unit. Stress eating, emotional eating are coping mechanisms that people have a difficult time giving up because they helped them get through tough times. Plus, people think, "I can stop this," when they feel better because they don't connect the actions with the improvement. We continue behaviors because we get/got a benefit from them.

Plus, we see post surgical people with cross addictions, and studies are showing now that alcohol use is a big risk for addiction for RNY patients because of the way it is absorbed.

If you take away something that you relied on to alleviate stress, there can be emotional fall out. Honestly, this is a HUGE fear of mine. I have been some shade of chubby not only my entire adult life, and for most of the time of my childhood I can remember! I am worried, but hopefully self aware to seek help if needed. I am lucky, given what I do, I have a lot of friends who are mental health experts to keep an eye on me. I can't imagine how hard it would be with out that kind of support.

Debra

You are surrounded with people who can help you and that is a precious gift. I think we all need to listen to our bodies so we will know when we get off track and that we need to seek help sooner not later to keep a handle on things. This surgery is no magic bullet but it can be an awesome tool. This is a lot to go through to just go back to the same bad habits I am so glad we have this forum to come to to helps each other.

Debra

You are surrounded with people who can help you and that is a precious gift. I think we all need to listen to our bodies so we will know when we get off track and that we need to seek help sooner not later to keep a handle on things. This surgery is no magic bullet but it can be an awesome tool. This is a lot to go through to just go back to the same bad habits I am so glad we have this forum to come to to helps each other.

I have seen people here, who we know have a bypass history, who eat tons of food and are gaining weight back. Its interesting the untreated mental illnesses that flare up post WLS. Its so life altering and resistance to change is an issue.

My surgeon said never to eat more than 1,000 calories per day. He also suggested that no meal should ever exceed 300 calories and that no snack should ever exceed 100 calories. His instruction was to eat only if hungry and to transition to a maximum of three meals a day, preferably two, and a maximum of 3 Snacks per day. No alcohol. No caffeine. My surgeon has never been obese and follows this diet himself. He had no body fat. He practices what he says. I am trying to follow his advice for long-term success. He told me that RNY is the best procedure for maintaining long-term weight loss. I trust his advice, particularly because he follows it himself. I am 2.5 weeks post op and battle low energy. I am forcing myself to walk long distances. I love having the restriction in my stomach. I am very grateful for this surgery.

I agree with all of you but one day I would like I be able to have one piece of pizza on rare occasions. :-). No I do not want to make a habit of it!!! I gave up bread/buns, pop, ice cream and alcohol for life. I cut a lot of carbs out years ago.

However, I like the 300 calorie meal and 100 calorie snack rule. I just never ever want to be the eater I was before. I did this to help control my intake.

No enemy made here either. When I read some of these posts I say "really" to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk HW 272 DOS 253 RNY Date 12/3/12

I agree with everyone here. We were told at our clinic to always eat your Protein first and then if you are still hungry you can add a small amount of veggies or fruit. I understand eating good carbs for the added Fiber but certainly not any of the processed/refined carbs.

I completely understand that your suppose to change your diet for life, however i think its a balancing act. chocolate, Cookies, junk food and all around "bad" food will be around forever... We all have to learn to have our recommended amount of Protein, drink our Water, exercise and within moderation ( only on special occasions) have a "bad" snack, i personally think its unrealistic to forever give up "bad" food. I think if i do that one day ill snap and just go back o my terrible old ways.... We are all just human....this is just my personal opinion ... If you do not agree i understand, just don't attack my personal way of thinking.....:)