Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

flying

Hi-

I was banded 1 week ago and will be flying in a couple of weeks. I know that we have to make the security folks aware of the band because it will beep. But I was wondering if any of you have actually flown yet? Thanks.:help:

I flew to Denver to have my surgery. Obviously, I had the band in me on the way home and didn't set anything off....

Really? That's great to hear. I had been told that there is some metal in the band that, if the sensativity is turned up on the scaner, it would beep. Thanks.

I've flown over 12 times since banding and never beeped yet. I guess you could show them your banding card (most docs give us something) and that should do it. My mom has a pacemaker and she always tells them as she can't go through the xray machines.

Yes, there is a tiny bit of metal in the band. I think I read that someone got pulled aside for wand scanning, and the band set it off, but I think that is very rare.

You'll get a card from your doc (and at the very least have your scars, to tell them what's going on if it should go off) I wouldn't worry about it.

If they are that concerned, they could run you through the X- ray to see it! Har Har (just kidding I do not recommend jumping on the x-ray conveyor)

I'm flying home from surgery in Mexico, then flying back for the fill then flying to Europe - all in 2 months. I hope I don't beep!!

My main concerns are comfort (wearing elastic pants) and gas on the plane, lol.

I've flown many, many times since banding and I've never set anything off (at least, not because of the band, lol). I have heard that some airports have their scanners way up, and sometimes the titanium in the band can set that off, but I've never experienced it. I also keep my band card in my wallet, and I can just show them the scars if they wanna get huffy about it. :)

I want to add, that when I flight, my band tightens up on me pretty good. It doesn't happen to everyone, but I know it happens to some people.

Even if the band has a small amount of metal it wouldn't be enough to set it off.<O:p</O:p

<O:p

I had a spinal fusion about 20 years ago and have metal rods (for support) running along my spine and I've never set one off. (I think the rods weight just under 3lbs, so it's a significant amount of hardware)<O:p</O:p

<O:p

I fly all the time. I've taken probably in the neighborhood of 30 flights since my surgery. I've set off the detector one time. They had me step aside and I told them I had a medical implant, showed them about where it was, and they broke out the wand. The wand confirmed and I proceeded to the gate. It was no big deal.

Flying does mess up my restriction, as in makes me way tight. Not at first, but say the next day - I will be tight enough to warrant liquids. And for whatever reason it seems to happen about 90% of the time I'm going, but very rarely when I'm coming. Fickle indeed.

My advice - and you'd think this is common sense but it kind of isn't when you start to get comfortable with your band... plan your meals when you're flying. You don't want to grab a "quick bite" on your way to the gate, and end up having to PB during take-off. (NO, that didn't happen to me, my PB came en route to the airport thankfully, but I was dreading that it would linger until take-off...ugh...)

My band set off the alarm once when I was flying to Mexico. Perhaps they had it set higher for international flights ad I have never set off the alarm going other places.

I too get very tight on the plane so i do not partake of the in flight snack. It takes me a few hours after landing before I can get solids down again. Like others have stated, plan your meals and please don't rush. I would hate to read about your PB story! :)

I fly every 2 weeks and all around the world and sometimes do work in our local courthouse where you also have to be scanned and I've never set one off but I also have tons of metal in my neck and back and that's never set them off either, titanium I guess. You should be fine.

Hiya, I am an international flight attendant and have NEVER had a problem even in the States, but be warned the band seems to expand at pressure, I can usually only eat Soups and liquids so if it is a long flight,be prepared perhaps with some of your own food!!!!

Ok, enjoy your holiday!!!!

Amourette XX