Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone ever heard of this? I am scheduled for surgery on feb 24th -during my consult I brought up the pre-op diet..... the surgeons said it wasn't necessary(BMI 45!) but everything I read on this site is that I should be doing it. I understand the physiology of it re reducing the weight of the liver for easier manipulation during surgery and also to introduce the transition into the post op diet as well....... Any thoughts?? Has anyone else not really have to do it??

Usually when someone is complaining of their pre-op diet, someone will chime in that they did not have one---so it isn't unheard of.

In my case, I was put onto a low/no fat, high Protein diet for 10 days prior to surgery. It is easy enough to follow (basically an Atkins induction phase), and I lost about 10 pounds prior to surgery---PLUS the big thing I found was I lost the carb cravings prior to surgery---which made the liquid follow up much easier.

I would do what you can to lose weight---we all know we can lose it, it was the keeping it off that did me in! It will do nothing but benefit you.

I did hear of one Dr. who based his patients pre-op diets on their body shape as opposed to weight or BMI. Apple shapes had to go to strict liquids only for a month prior!!! And pear shapes had similar to the one I did. Luckily my Dr. wasn't that strict---I am a HUGE apple!!!

Congrats on having a surgery date---how exciting!!! If you have any questions besides this, feel free to ask away! Stick around, tell us a little about yourself! There are great support groups here---I am sure you will find great comfort from this site!

Welcome!

Kat

The only pre-op diet I've been given is to have only liquids the day before my surgery which is scheduled for 2/15. So on Valentines Day when everyone else is gorging on chocolate, candy and other irresistable sweets, I'll be drinking water!

I think I will try a self-imposed pre-op diet by just simply not pigging out for 4 - 5 days prior to surgery. Sticking with good Proteins and veggies and not do the "last supper" thing.

Good luck with your surgery.

Sharon

Your doc may not require one, but it would certainly benefit you to lose a few prior to surgery. As Kat said earlier, it will help you with the liquid phase right after surgery. Good luck to you!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick replies......that does help me greatly....and I will do my own pre-op readiness..... most likely in the form of yours Kat... high Protein low carbs... thanks all.... this site has a hugh wealth of wonderful practical...and realistic info!

My doctor did not require a pre-op diet. He just suggested that I not stuff myself the day before surgery. Although some surgeons say that a pre-op diet shrinks the liver and makes it easier to lift, other surgeons say a liver isn't going to shrink significantly in a week or two and that it really doesn't matter anyway because as long as it is a normal liver, they will still be able to lift it.

I do recall in my seminar that the doctor mentioned something about higher BMI patients and said that he sometimes puts them on pre-op diets. I got the impression that there are more health concerns when operating on someone over 350 pounds and that the pre-op diet is mostly to skim a few points off their BMI before surgery.

No pre-op here either and didn't do one on my own and had several "last meal" meals. :0 I had no problems at all.

Hi Bluegem

I will be getting banded on the 22nd of Feb and I do not have pre-op diet -- at least not yet. I meet with my surgeon on the 19th but so far I have just been told to eat light that week because my stomach needs to be empty.

So I'm going to trust her and I'm doing that now -- cutting wayyyy down on my portions each day so that by the 19th I'll be eating very lightly.

I'll let you know how it goes on the 22nd.

Hi there,

I would suggest it. I had surgery last week with a BMI of 35 and did not have to do a pre op diet and they were very surprised when they got in there because my liver was enlarged and got nicked and bled a bit during surgery. It all got under control and I don't blame them (I was having a few last hurrahs and didn't want to do my own pre op diet, now I wish I had) but I think it is a good idea.

just my little 2 cents :)

Its a personal preference of the surgeon. When I was banded my surgeon did not do the pre op diet thing- Yesterday he told me that most of the time he does now. His bggest reason for changing was that he need for his patients to understand that eating patterns etc will need to change and that it still required "work" rather than thinking the band was gong to do everything. He added that shrinking the liver etc was an added bonus but not his major reason

I didnt have to do one but I had happened to have a liver ultrasound before I saw my surgeon so going by that he said it would be not necessary for me. My liver was not enlarged.

Wonderful replies... I appreciate the time you all took to answer.... good information,advice and experiences......I am soooooo looking forward to my surgery....it is hard to think of anything else... it is the beginning of a new me and new life (hey my life right now isn't terrible...not running away from it in the least!).... just looking forward to what I can be and do.

Cheers all!

My surgeon gave me these horrible NASTY Protein Shake mixes and said I could have 3 a day with only non-caloric drinks in between...that's it for 2 weeks. My surgery is on the 13'th...so far I have lost 8 pounds the past week BUT....I could not literally gag down those shakes. I went to Acme and bought Slim Fast instead. I drink 4 of those a day and drink crystal light or fat free milk in between. It has been torture to not eat. I imagine my surgeon has a good reason in his mind why this would be beneficial for me to do but.....AUGH! I read that some of you didn't have to do anything before surgery and it makes me jealous...Oh, and did I mention....HUNGRY! Well, good luck to you all no matter what your situation.