Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else extremely depressed post op? I'm 10 days out and am completely mentally drained. Physically I feel fine, but i've never felt so hopelessly depressed in my life. I feel fatter now then I did pre op and simply want to run away. Anyone else experience this? I feel hopeless.

Im 9 day postop and feeling sad,sometimes i cry too,i want to just stay home sometime and dont get out,my fam.see me different

Hey guy I hope you both feel better soon. I had the last part of my physic eval today and she told me that I don't have to but it would be a good ideal to stay seeing a shrink during and after the process because you can have low moments because of the changes. I'm praying for both of you.

Katie, i feel the same way. I had my surgery 10/3, and i honestly do not miss the food but i am feeling hopeless and i dont understand why. Lately i find myslf feeling angry, confused and lost. I dont know whats wrong ith me. I was always a happy cheerful person and i feel sooooo ugly..... I think im going to seek counseling.....

It is completely normal to be depressed. As we lose weight the hormones that is stored in the fat in our bodies are released as we lose the weight. Also a lot of people had depression or problems prior to surgery and used food as comfort. You really need to speak to your pcp about this as they can help before it gets worst

I felt the same. Our hormones are just all out of wack from the huge change put bodies are going through. I talked to my doctor and she gave me something for anxiety and it has helped soooo much! Don't be afraid to talk to you doc cuz a lot of us go through this! The sooner you seek help the sooner you will start feeling better. My prayers are with you!

Hi everyone, I have had several surgeries and major life changes. Depression is normal. Your system is going thru hoops inside and it messes up your hormones, brain chemistry and emotions. Just know that it is temporary. The best natural things you can do are walking, drinking your Water and keeping a journal to get out the emotions. If you feel you need more than that you could try the herbals like SAMe or St. Johns Wort. You can make the latter into a tea to drink. If you start having ANY suicidal thoughts go get help. I have been fighting Major Depressive Disorder for the last 18 years and that is how I cope with it all. It works. Remember, asking for help is not weakness.It takes courage to ask and then do what is needed to fix the problem. If you are sick you get antibiotics, If you have hormone issues you take hormones...this is the same. If you are too depressed, you take the meds to rebalance the emotions. Remember: Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Anyone else extremely depressed post op? I'm 10 days out and am completely mentally drained. Physically I feel fine' date=' but i've never felt so hopelessly depressed in my life. I feel fatter now then I did pre op and simply want to run away. Anyone else experience this? I feel hopeless.[/quote']

No you are not alone. I am roughly 3 weeks post op and I have the same feelings. It also doesn't help that the scale hasn't moved in a week. I don't miss food at all. I just have these times I feel so down and upset with myself and my decision. Wondering if I would be happier without the surgery. I know this is normal, my support groups and appointments assured me it could happen. However until it does happen you don't know how to handle it. I just try to breathe and talk to my husband, he doesn't get it but he tries.

Ooh my poor,poor husband! He's been so sweet and understanding, he really is a champ! I resolved to not buy a scale for this journey. I don't want to be focused on a number (clothes size is close enough) so,I don't know of I've gained or lost, but I still feel grosse! I'm hoping that "this too shall pass" and at some point in the near future I'll feel proud of the decision I made to have WLS,and maybe feel a little less like punching a baby...lol (figure of speech..id never really punch a baby :o)

Hey, yes this is very normal! You will have crying spells - and got through crying spells, regrets etc. it just gets better day by day.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Very, very common for all of the great reasons that folks have stated. The good news is that it usually passes quickly and then the fun begins! Stay focused on following the protocol, stay active, and stay away from the scales for a week or two. You're gonna love the new you!!

I have had surgery's before and I am thinkin this to be similar to baby blues, mom's you know what I mean. I think it is a lot to do with anesthesia, pain, hormones, and just plain feeling like you been put through the mill. Be kind to yourself and make sure you stay hydrated and start getting that Protein in when you are allowed and you will feel better, It will just take a bit of time for your body to adjust.