Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to know everyones thoughts on the whole soda thing. I was told no soda. Then someone else through another doctor said no problem. Is their any info anyone has on yes or no? i have had a few sips but had no ill reaction to it. Just curious on any ones experiences or insights on the short and long term.

My doc said soda was fine, but I figure I have broken the habit and I don't want to get hooked again. I also struggle with staying hydrated and soda defeats the Water I drink. To me it is not worth it.

I'm drinking a diet Dr pepper as we speak!!! My doctor said its fine. I already cut: bread rice pasts sweets fried foods etc. I'm keeping one thing I love!

I'm confused... I thought the reason for no sodas was that the carbonation stretches your pouch and that's why it is a major no?!?

I'm confused... I thought the reason for no sodas was that the carbonation stretches your pouch and that's why it is a major no?!?

I was told the same thing... Also anyone who has gained weight after gastric bypass nearly always states they think it was from going back to drinking pop... That's enough for me to not drink it ever again

My dr said no, caffeine is a diaretic and carbonation stretches the pouch.

My doc told me there is no way to stretch my pouch and it is all a rumor about carbonation. However he said it is because of the way he does the procedure. He said other local docs sew in a place that allows for stretching.

I'm drinking a diet Dr pepper as we speak!!! My doctor said its fine. I already cut: bread rice pasts sweets fried foods etc. I'm keeping one thing I love!

How far out are u?

I don't know how long liquid actually stays in the pouch. I had a X-Ray done on my pouch, they had me take a shot of chalk and it went down my throat through my pouch and in to my intestine. It never settled in my pouch. I think the whole stretching out the pouch is a myth.

My surgeon was anal. He stapled, stitched and glued lol.

Surgiversary 07/24/12 Sent from my iPhone.

I've heard all of the above about the carbonation causing stretching, as well as the very real part about caffeine in general. My surgeon says you can have diet soda if you must but sip slowly and letting it go flat first would be even better. It seems it's not so much that it would stretch your pouch but the carbonation takes up valuable real-estate in your little pouch and could prevent you from consuming the healthy things you need for nutrition. But since Water or one of the many, many sugar-free flavoring options are so readily available and quite tasty, why go back to soda?

I drank a few sips of diet mt dew today with no problems. I've heard all of the above, too. My dietician also said no sodas, but hey.........

So many unhealthy things associated with soda, that I'm not going back to drinking it. I went through all this is be healthy and make the better choices concerning my health. I'll do as my dr said and avoid it. I do miss it but as much as I'd miss my new body by going back to bad habits

Was told no soda because of the carbonation I will stay away from it been almost 3 mos since my last soda and really don't want any I drink Vitamin Water now vitamin water zero that is