Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do I Need For The Hospital Stay?

Can I wear cute jammies and if I do, does it need to be a gown or can it be pants and a shirt that fit loosely? How long does the surgery generally take and how long are you in recovery? Sorry so many questions just have a lot on my mind. Oh, and is there something they can give me the night before to calm my neves/anxiety?

I have not had the surgery yet but when I talked with my surgeon last week he said the surgery is about 2 hours give or take plus time in the recovery room. He keeps the catheter in until the next day do he said pants might be hard to wear with that but I was welcome to bring them and try. He said just to make sure they are comfy around the waist because it will be sore from surgery. I talked with the anesthesiologist about my nerves before surgery and he said they wouldn't give me anything for the night before but they could the morning of to calm me down going into surgery.

Yeah they gave me something they called a "happy cocktail" right before surgery. I brought a book and laptop and tablet and all that stayed in my backpack. I was just so tired and drugged up I slept and walked the whole time. I was discharged the next day. Maybe if I stayed another night I may have gotten bored. Make sure you ask about the Gas-X cause that relieves a lot of the discomfort from the gas they pump in you.

They told me I'd pretty much be in a hospital gown the whole time.

Well i definetly have been recommended by everyone chapstick, my spirometer that I got at the pre-op seminar my furry sandals to walk, walk, walk, comfy clothes to go home in because i will have a drain, my eye glasses and case (not going to bother with contacts) toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and unscented lotion. I plan on wearing their gown till I leave. Oh and me cell cannot be without that!

Thank you simply much! It should be in 2 weeks and I'm so nervous but I know it'll be over before I know it :)

My revision is on 8/20.

Don't forget your cellphone charger! I also stayed in my gown the whole time too.

Don't forget your cellphone charger! I also stayed in my gown the whole time too.

Thanks, yeah that would be a bummer cell phone & no charger, Lol!

I stayed in my hospital gown the whole time. You will probably want to bring sandals or slippers so that you can get shoes on easily without bending at your incisions and a phone charger for sure.

The day of surgery I was very nervous about being put to sleep but they gave me an injection of something to "calm me down" and then on the way to the operating room they must give you the sleeping drugs. I remember them telling me that I would have to help move myself onto the table but the last thing i remember is kissing my husband in the hall before going down the hall towards the op room and then briefly remember a groggy feeling of waking up to my surgeon telling me my husband was waiting in the hall for me and surgery went fine. I was in and out of sleep for the entire day of surgery and most of the next before they released me. My husband stayed with me the whole time and he brought ipads and things for him but I had no use for anything but the bed lol.

If you do take jammies make sure it's something you don't mind getting stained or yucky. Between the iodine they put on you, the catheter, IV, blood draws, etc, there's lots of room for gross staining stuff. I wore the gown with an extra gown to cover my bum....best feeling in the world when they finally let me put my panties back on!!!!! n guess I was not born to be an exhibitionist:D. My list of necessities: chap stick, lotion, deodorant, tooth brush and paste, socks with rubber grippy things on the feet to walk (feet were freezing, actually I was freezing all over so kept the socks on all the time), phone and charger, iPad and charger, hair clip. Stretchy clothes and bra for the ride home and pillow to hug on the ride home.

I wore their johnnys the whole time. First one was put on with opening in the back,then the second one was put on with the opening in the front. I wore the socks they provided me the entire time and they have grippies on them so you don't slip. I brought my phone and charger then pretty much only used that and watched TV between dozing and talking with my husband. I did bring my kindle but, honestly, between walking, being poked, tests and talking with my husband it never came out of my bag.

My surgery was 4 hours but, that's because my liver was adhered to my stomach so she had to peel them apart, then she had to undo the stitching on my stomach that was there from my previous lapband. Once that was done she was able to do the rest. I was had a lot of trouble with nausea so moving around too much was making me sick...brushing my teeth was tough until we finally got the nausea under control. Then the next thing you know you're being tested to make sure everything is doing well with an upper GI. GACK at that dang crap they make you drink. I felt I was left in there for quite some time...not sure if it's because of the revision vs someone who has the RNY that is not a revision. Once back to the room they started with the Water, Clear liquids etc. Chapstick was my friend for sure!

I wore lose clothing to the hospital (sweatpant type) and just used the same outfit with a fresh pair of underwear to come home in since I barely wore the outfit an hour before I had to get into the Johnny.