Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What If This Was All For Nothing?!

i totally feel u on this...everyday i think i went thru this for nothing..i had surgery on 6/7 and weighed 281..I've been 260 for last two weeks!!!! i can drink like its nothing and i can eat an 8oz yogurt in like ten min...I'm not hungry but when i do eat its not like everyone else i read about..two bites is not filling me.i hope things get better for u...as for me, i chalk this up to just another diet that didn't work:-(

Violet, "everyone else" is not full after two bites. Keep reading. You are less than 30 d a y s out and you're chalking this up to "another diet that didn't work"? Call your doctor. And if possible, schedule an appointment with your psychologist. Tell him/her how you feel and why. You may be the victim of unrealistic expectations. You certainly are the victim of failing to commit to lifestyle changes. See your doctors. That's what they are there for. They have lots of experience helping folks and your case certainly won't be their first. You can do this and they can help you succeed!

Hi... Dont feel discouraged. I too feel the same exact way! Have had those same thoughts and keep thinking "what if i'm in that % where surgery doesnt work?". I bought a 2pz measuring cup and measure my foods, sometimes i feel i can eat a whole yogurt but stop myself. I too have tries unhealthy things to feel "normal". And it didnt hurt or kill me. But the guilt sets in and I walk it out. Hang in there! You'll get through

Thank you everyone for your feed back. My two week follow up appointment is coming and I will be asking what I can do as far as exercise. I can't wait to go back to work. This mush diet is becoming discouraging. I feel like the 60g of Protein and 64oz of Water is a full time task to get in. I think I have only met the quota once since surgery. Today I bought some flavorless Protein Powder. OMG that is expensive. 15 scoop bag =$26 at GNC.

Well you know that soft food doesnt hurt your new stomach as much an also you may not feel the pain the same way than if you were eating meat. That's what I notice anyways yogurt an things like that I can eat about 6oz but meat or things like that 3 bites hello goodbye I'm done lol your doing fine

Well I haven't been approved to eat solids yet I am still on this mush diet. But, that makes alot of sense. I hope I get that feeling after I try solids again.

You two sound like this failed and you're only a Lil bit out after surgery. When was the last time a yogurt took u 10 min to eat? Never! Get up and out and excercise!!! This isn't a miracle it's a tool so use it right!

Exactly John. It's a tool. Can't wait to exercise. 4 says out.

Sent from my HTC EVO using RNYTalk

I also felt like I could eat more than I should ....wondered if I was some sort of test (placebo effect) . What a relief when my nerve endings started to heal and I could feel it when I was becoming full.

I have days that I feel like I have no problems eating & other days that it is a struggle to eat anything. meat is still really hard for me so I rely on other Protein types. Amazingly I have no desire for sweets and that was always my downfall...and I bake & decorate cakes!

Hi Cassie.

I'm the same way. I seem to be able to eat just about everything and can eat as much as a small Wendy's chili in no time. I just have to make a conscious effort to stop and to make wise choices. If I do eat too much it won't hit me until 20-30 minutes later. I hope that helps.

Thank you everyone for your feed back. My two week follow up appointment is coming and I will be asking what I can do as far as exercise. I can't wait to go back to work. This mush diet is becoming discouraging. I feel like the 60g of Protein and 64oz of Water is a full time task to get in. I think I have only met the quota once since surgery. Today I bought some flavorless Protein powder. OMG that is expensive. 15 scoop bag =26 at GNC.

I just had surgery Friday July 6. I also feel that the 60 grams of Protein and the 64 oz of Water are not easy. I'm on Clear liquids now. Last week before the surgery I thought oh the Proteins no big deal I'll just drink two 20 oz of Isopure at 40 grams each get the protein and another 3 bottles of Gatorade water etc and no problem. Well it's taking me all day to sip the Isopure one bottle drink broth and a couple of bottles of water and Powerade. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I just had surgery Friday July 6. I also feel that the 60 grams of Protein and the 64 oz of Water are not easy. I'm on Clear Liquids now. Last week before the surgery I thought oh the Proteins no big deal I'll just drink two 20 oz of Isopure at 40 grams each get the Protein and another 3 bottles of Gatorade Water etc and no problem. Well it's taking me all day to sip the isopure one bottle drink broth and a couple of bottles of water and Powerade. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I have been starting to have a Protein shake for Breakfast and that has 23 g of protein. I then have crystal light with flavorless powder mixed in. It has really worked for me the past two days and for dinner I have 1/2 a can of Soup mixed with water. I have been making my fluids and protein requirements for two days now. I feel really good, more energy too. I'm starting to come around with my feelings about this whole thing too!

Something else to consider is that you have a new stomach now and things are a little different so you feeling full before surgery could be a completely different feeling after. So try not to look for that old feeling of fullness to gauge it but rather monitor your current body to see how you feel before and after and give it a little time to adjust to the new feelings of fullness. You may just not know how the new full feels if that makes sense :)

Speaking for myself before surgery I ate until I was satisfied which was way more than I needed to fill full. Right after surgery I had ( it's very common) no stomach reaction at all, the nerves were cut and are still healing. So when I felt nothing I wondered if I was doing this right. It's natural to ask 'do I feel like I can eat more?' and natural for your head to say 'yes'. Head hunger, the not satisfied feeling, is always going to be there for you to deal with.

In time you'll regonize your body's other hunger signs (I get cranky and tired) for now stick to the plan assigned. It's not a restriction it's more of a guide to success. It helps those that don't have the stomach reactions gauge if they are on track and those that do make goals to achieve. And stop comparing yourself to 'everyone' you are unique! Use your doctors they can help you on your unique journey.

Something else to consider is that you have a new stomach now and things are a little different so you feeling full before surgery could be a completely different feeling after. So try not to look for that old feeling of fullness to gauge it but rather monitor your current body to see how you feel before and after and give it a little time to adjust to the new feelings of fullness. You may just not know how the new full feels if that makes sense :)

Very good point!

I feel the same way. I have no issues eating fast but I try to slow it down and only eat what I am supposed to. I also make sure to eat healthy even though I have tried unhealthy things and I am fine. I am only 2 weeks out.

pre surgery weight 310 • RNY 6/20/2012 • current weight 284

What kind of unhealthy things have you tired? I have wanted to try a few things myself just to get the craving to go away but I have been too nervous.