Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am continually researching the lap-band and I was calling around today trying to find a follow-up doctor in my area (based on the advice of several of you guys). I called Hamilton Med. Center where Dr. Ponce is, in Dalton, Ga. The woman referred me to a website when I explained that I was self pay and wanted to go to Mexico. It seems that I can go to Dr. Ponce for about $13,800. It is done in an outpatient surgical center. So now I am reconsidering going to Mexico. Dalton is a 4 hour drive for me, but alot easier for me to get to than Mexico (and cheaper). Also, the fills are much cheaper if he does the surgery.

I would love to hear from anyone that has been to Dr. Ponce (or his group). I was very impressed by the nurse I spoke with. Much more so than the coordinator for the doc I was looking at in Mexico. She said she would call me on 2 seperate occasions and never did. Oh well. You snooze, you lose :)

I must say that I have a much better feeling (in my gut :eek: ) about going with Dr. Ponce.

Dr Ponce was in on the FDA trials, I believe. I have never heard anything bad about him at all - only good things. You're very wise to reconsider the states so you can secure follow-up care. This is a very important part of banding.

Good luck with your decision! Let us know!

Leatha

I was not self pay...so take my words with a grain of salt :-)

I would have, however, been self pay if I had to...

And I would have paid extra to have the surgery done in the states - my rational would be that the travel expenses to and from Mexico would add up quickly, my fills would be more expensive if I could even find a doctor to do them, and the biggest one-god fobid something bad would happen- and it could have been prevented with better follow up, or surgical whatever- I KNOW I'd be willing at that point to pay extra to have it all go away.

But that's me...and just my opinion. I think you are all very brave to take the bull by the horns and do what it takes to get yourself healthy.

Megan

Okay, then I'm not completely nuts. (Mostly nuts, but not completely.) I thought I had read that price somewhere.

Anyway, I've been reading about the LapBand for over two years and I don't think I've heard any complaints about Ponce in GA. If it were a ONE HOUR drive and a less-experienced surgeon, my inital reaction would be to keep looking. But Ponce is very experienced. And if you can get to him in four hours and it would take you a lot longer to get to Mexico...I'd really consider it. (I phrased it that way, because sometimes I think it takes me longer to get across the Los Angeles Basin in traffic than it does to cross the border into Mexico.)

Sue

I think for that price, and if I found a surgeon in the same state that I resided in that I would consider having Dr. Ponce do my surgery.

The only bad experience we had with Dr. Ponce was with his coordinator, but not Dr. Ponce directly.

If you can find a doctor that close to home, I would do it.

Good luck to you! I know you have lots of decisions to make, but you've already made the biggest one and that's to go ahead and have the surgery.

You'll do great in whatever you decide!!

T

Thanks for all the support! I really means alot.

My husband and I feel much better about this situation now that is is more affordable. I will keep everyone updated.

I have been doing a lot of research about the Doctors since I will be a self pay. Some of the Doctors around here are dropping their prices. I have found some for $12,900. that covers everything, including follow-up for 1 year with fills. Some are $15,000.00 with only the follow-ups.

I think Dallas-Ft. Worth metro plex is the highest around though. I am still looking, it would be nice to find one that is close enough to drive to.

Do any of you have a Dr. in the Metro-Plex? How did you like him?

I am so looking forward to geting this done.

Betty

Originally posted by Iluvharleys

I have been doing a lot of research about the Doctors since I will be a self pay. Some of the Doctors around here are dropping their prices. I have found some for $12,900. that covers everything, including follow-up for 1 year with fills. Some are $15,000.00 with only the follow-ups.

I think Dallas-Ft. Worth metro plex is the highest around though. I am still looking, it would be nice to find one that is close enough to drive to.

Do any of you have a Dr. in the Metro-Plex? How did you like him?

I am so looking forward to geting this done.

Betty

Are you the same Betty I talked to last night in OH? I have Dr. Veninga who I like real well. He's a very experienced laparoscopic surgeon, but doesn't have the experience with bands that some of the other doctors have. He does seem very knowledgeable about it. His staff is wonderful and it doesn't seem like he's overbooking his office just for the money. I really like that too. From what I've experienced, he seems to make plenty of time for his patients, especially new people. I know he dedicates the whole afternoon to like only 2-3 people so he can spend the time it takes to explain and answer questions. I think that's admirable.

Leatha

edistogirl...

These days, savings from travel and lower fill costs can add up. When I got my band, the local prices were $30,000 and Rumbaut was $10,000. For $20,000, you can take a lot of trips (air fare, hotel, meals) to Mexico. But now that the US prices are coming down, the $3800 difference doesn't pay for as many trips.

How does Ponce (and for lurkers, again, we are talking about Ponce in Dalton, GA, not ponce de leon who is somewhere else) handle the fills for his patients? Do you get his services free for a while and only pay for flouro? I ask because some doctors include their services for a certain time (such as six months or a year) and others include a certain number of fills (usually one to three) in their price. I know the Mexican doctors tend to include their services for free until the end of time and their surgery patients pay only for flouro...but then there are the other costs.

My surgeon is in Houston. His cash price is $12,000, includes 1 year follow up and as many fills as needed. After the year, fill is $120 each. I pm'd you his website. I was very, very pleased w/him. He's very qualified, done over 700 bands. During my band placement, he also removed my gallbladder, previous existing abdominal adhesions, amd an esophagus benign tumor (not the normal find). His primary speciality is abdominal laproscopic surgery.

Wow, this sounds like a recruiter! I promise I'm not!!!!

iluvharleys,

I see Dr benavides that has an office in Grand Prarie close to Dallas and I love him. He is very nice, experienced and knowlegable. He travels to college station/bryan about every six weeks and has a clinic here also. At the time i had my surgery he charged 15,000 for surgery and that included f/u care and fills for the 1st year. He has a web site www.drbenavides.com hope this helps!

Dr. Ponce provides fills for one year at no cost. You do have to pay $110 each time for floro. And according to the nurse I spoke with, they use floro at every fill. After 1 year, fills are $200 - $110 for floro and $90 physician fee.

I completely agree with you about the cost. It is totally worth it for me to spend a little more here and be close to my doc. Plane tickets from my area (Augusta, GA) are around $500 a trip to Mexico.

I am very excited. As soon as my "self pay packet" arrives I will be in business and get the ball rolling.