Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Eat Or To Drink?

For those of you already eating after surgery, what do you do first in the morning? Do you eat or take in liquids? I've found that since my metabolism has sped up a bit I usually wake up hungry. (I used to be able to go until about 1pm on coffee alone). Problem is, I wake up thirsty too!

I usually start with yogurt or Cereal.< /p>

Still haven't decided which to do first but, I have decided since my commute is about an hour, I'll drink my 30 gram Protein Shake on the way to work instead of coffee. I tried it yesterday and it worked well for me.

I only drink coffee maybe once a week now so it's no loss there. I'm getting in half a days Protein and I don't have to rush to the restroom as soon as I arrive anymore. Coffee and a weak bladder didn't mix well for me. LOL

Jen, I have Breakfast every morning with a cup of coffee. Breakfast is either a Protein pancake with SF Syrup or if I'm constipated I'll eat UNCLE SAM high Fiber cereal.

I eat first so I don't have to worry about waiting a half hour before I can eat. I normally eat (I am 4 weeks out from surgery today) eggs scrambled with Laughing Cow cheese, a ricotta "muffin" I make (ricotta, eggs, Splenda and vanilla) or I have chicken and cottage cheese. I also have some egg custards I make that are very good and easy on the stomach.

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I have a 35g Protein Shake for breakfast every day. My surgeon requires her patients to have 100g of Protein a day and the shake gets me off to a good start. I can usually hit the 100g (or close) with the foods I eat the rest of the day.

I eat first thing in the morning then wait 30-40 minutes and start on a Protein shake! I just went in for my 6 month appt. (early) and she told me since I was working out it would be fine to have both breakfast and a shake because it will boost metabolism!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

What kind of Protein Shake has 35g of Protein? I usually have protein shake 9 am then 11am food. I have been hungrey after my Breakfast, liken the idea of doing the protien drink 30 min after breakfast.

What kind of Protein shake has 35g of Protein? I usually have Protein Shake 9 am then 11am food. I have been hungrey after my breakfast, liken the idea of doing the protien drink 30 min after breakfast.

I like the 35g Pure Protein shakes (they have smaller ones with I believe are 20g as well). The Frosty chocolate, Cookies and Cream, and chocolate Mint are all excellent. Myoplex shakes have 42g are probably even a little better tasting than Pure Protein but Myoplex have 300 calories vs 160 for Pure Protein so I've opted for the lower calories. Pure Protein powders are 25g of protein per scoop (35g scoop) and are also quite good mixed with 4oz of unsweetened almond milk (or any milk you prefer) and 4oz of Water. I add a little Splenda to sweeten it up a bit. Easy enough to mix a scoop and a half and you'd be getting 37g of protein. By mixing your own shakes with the powder you can cut your cost by close to half. You can get Pure Protein at Amazon, drugstore.com and a lot of other places - just Google it. Be careful because prices vary widely by supplier.

Kiwiladydee,

I don't have a recipient for Protein pancakes. I order them from my bariatric pantry. They come in separate serving envelopes where you just add Water. They are really tasty! I highly recommend them!