Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Presurgery Bumps In The Road

My surgery date is April 30th. One week before surgery the insurance verification lady at the hospital called me to tell me she misinformed me that I would only have to pay up my deductible before surgery. Turns out I have to pay ALL of my out of pocket plus my deductible before they will perform the procedure. Hospital policy for elective procedures. So instead of $370 I have to pay over $2700. They might as well be asking me for a million bucks right now! Lol! She said she'd check with her supervisor if I could only pay half up front, which will really be a stretch for me but I think I can do it. I really wish they would have told me this a while ago so I could have been better prepared. I would also think since they are getting an excess of $60000 from my insurance company they could be a little more flexible with me.

Also my surgery is 5 days away and I think I'm getting a cold! Worst timing ever! I really don't want to reschedule but I don't want to end up with pneumonia either....

Trying not to feel sorry for myself but I'm so stressed right now I feel like my head is going to explode!

Hi Jen!

I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but there is a company called Care Credit. They are there to help with medical costs by paying the amount you need and they will finance your co-pay interest free for 12 months. You might look them up on the web. They will give you and instant reply. Hope that helps honey.

Thanks for the advice but I tried them and they denied me :(

Don't give up!! Maybe they can give you a payment plan OR get someone to co-sign for it! Gosh I would even raffle something or sell something cause $2-3,000 is nothing compared to paying outta pocket and you've gotten this far! I'd even do a withdraw from your 401k if you have one- worth the penalty! Good luck, keep us posted!

That's what they told me it was suppose to be like 3200 they said I could make payments I got to the hospital and it was 450.00. I will probably get a bill in the mail.

Got awesome news this morning, the hospital approved my payment plan. I reconfirmed with the admitting nurse and the surgeons office and now I just wait till Monday! I can't believe this is finally happening for me! So excited and scared at the same time!

That is awesome news! Good luck!

I just got a letter today from the hospital that says I have to give them $9000 upfront my surgery is scheduled for 5/21 is with less than 15 days I am supposed to come up with 9k. WOW. Not sure what I am going to do. I have my pre-op appt in two days. I am going to go to that and hopefully find out some more information. Seems like a bit short notice to drop a bomb like that. Has anyone else experienced anything like that?

My surgery date is April 30th. One week before surgery the insurance verification lady at the hospital called me to tell me she misinformed me that I would only have to pay up my deductible before surgery. Turns out I have to pay ALL of my out of pocket plus my deductible before they will perform the procedure. Hospital policy for elective procedures. So instead of 370 I have to pay over 2700. They might as well be asking me for a million bucks right now! Lol! She said she'd check with her supervisor if I could only pay half up front' date=' which will really be a stretch for me but I think I can do it. I really wish they would have told me this a while ago so I could have been better prepared. I would also think since they are getting an excess of 60000 from my insurance company they could be a little more flexible with me.

Also my surgery is 5 days away and I think I'm getting a cold! Worst timing ever! I really don't want to reschedule but I don't want to end up with pneumonia either....

Trying not to feel sorry for myself but I'm so stressed right now I feel like my head is going to explode![/quote']

Good luck!

As you can see in the quote above, same thing happened to me on a smaller scale. I couldn't believe they did this to me exactly 1 week before my surgery date! So unfair... Have faith, stay calm and ask questions! The hospital eventually agreed to a payment plan with me paying half the day of surgery but I can understand that in your case that may still seem like a lot of money.

Another member here suggested Carecredit.com which I had already looked into but apparently they didn't "Care" for my "Credit" haha. You should try it though. No intererest for like a year if you pay it off by then. It's a good deal if you get it.

Above all else, ask the hospital for help and try not to stress. I'm sure you're already stressed enough as it is.

Congratulations on your surgery!!!

Jen, I'm in So Cal as well. Would appreciate it if you would PM me the name of your hospital and the surgeion. Thanks!!

Thanks, Jen. I have my pre-op tomorrow so I figure I will get all the details while I am there. Whatever will be will be I suppose. Thank you again.

Hope you got some good news :-)