Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A recent review of earlier studies on Biotin has largely debunked the idea that it is of any significant help in reducing hair loss. So the evidence for its use is largely anecdotal. Some people say they take it on the chance it would help, because it apparently does no harm. If the typical Hair loss period is 3 months long, by the time a person notices it, starts taking Biotin, and then notices the loss is slowing, it is probably just the end of the normal 3 month shedding period---and not due to the biotin.

Your best bet may just be to eat healthy meals, take the usual recommended Vitamins and supplements, and treat your hair gently (go easy on the hair dryer, curling irons and styling stuff). Stressing about it stresses your body and might make things worse. It is what it is. Just stay focused on getting healthy and get on with enjoying your life.

I'm 4.5 mos PO and started noticing hair falling out more than normal in shower. So called Nut and was told its normal and should level off around 7-8 months PO. They recommended Biotin but stated it may not work for me. I take 7500mg a day. Best of luck!

I too am really experiencing a lot of hair loss. It began at 4 months. I am losing it so quickly that I am afraid I will be bald by Christmas. I will be five months on November 25th. My hair dresser suggested a product line called Awaken. Very expensive, but we will see if it helps. I began 5,000 mcg of Biotin when I first noticed the Hair loss begin. But this morning I lost a good handful of hair. Heartbreaking!! I love the weight loss, but I love my hair too...

Carol

Losing my hair is a minor worry. I would shave my head bald if it would help my weight loss. :-)

I have always had very thick hair, and for the past several years it has been naturally curly. I may have been fat, but my hair looked nice. I never imagined that I could lose all of it. I knew it would thin some, but I actually have large spots in the front were all the hair is gone. I know I will continue to lose it for the next several months. It is very likely that I could be bald. I don't need it to be thick and curly, but could I just keep a little?! It's very hard to watch it happen and know there is really not much you can do about it.

Those of you losing your hair; how much Protein are you getting a day? Does this make a difference in your loss?

The fact that we lose hair now is an effect of what happened to nutrition (mainly protein) intake around the surgery time. If you'll amp your Proteins up, it will get better but in about 2-3 months and there's no immediate cure. I am losing hair like crazy and was told that the peek is around 4 months post op, then it gets better. It would make sense, because after the surgery we don't take enough Protein, Vitamins or minerals...

I have followed my clinics plan to the letter. This is what they recommend...

0-3 months 50 grams of Protein

3-4 months 60 grams of Protein

4-5 months 70 grams of protein

5-6 months 80 grams of protein

6 months and beyond, at least 80 grams per day.

I will be at 5 months tomorrow. For the past few weeks, my protein is between 70 and 75 grams each day. Over the next month I will bump that up about another 10 grams. I have NEVER missed a day of Vitamins.

As I said in previous posts, I knew I would loose some hair, I just didn't expect to go totally bald.

Would unflavored Gelatin added to the Protein Shakes help? I am losing my hair, all my nails have broken off and my skin is cracking which they said was due to not enough Protein? I never thought about the doubling scooping and I will start that tonight.

Would unflavored Gelatin added to the Protein shakes help? I am losing my hair, all my nails have broken off and my skin is cracking which they said was due to not enough Protein? I never thought about the doubling scooping and I will start that tonight.

I am now just past six months and the Hair loss is getting better. I have not gone totally bald, but my hair is much thinner, I previously had very thick hair. I added biotine to my Vitamins, even though it has not been proven to help. I also added Awaken hair care products. I would guess that time is helping more than anything else. I will Celebrate the day that I wash my hair and Don't loose a handful! Good luck!!

Carol

I need to vacuum my car - I run my fingers through my hair and quite a few hairs come out each time. They end up on the floor around the drivers seat. I try to get all the loose ones before I get to work so my sweaters aren't covered join hair when I'm working. For some reason loose hairs freak people out. :-p

Wash hair every other day...from my nut.

I started to lose my hair at 2.5 months so much that I was glad it was thick but now it is thin. But it has slowed down and I am at 6 months and 118 pounds lost. I increased my Protein (my doc. didn't want me to drink all my Protein either, he wants me to learn to get it through food but the problem is I hate meat, etc. now. I can not stand to eat it all four meals so I use two Protein shakes a day and two other meals. ) I also increased my Biotin to 10,000 mcg a day. Also, my dad is a barber and he got me some special Shampoo, conditioner and leave in stuff for thinning hair. Ask your barber/beutician for a product with Nioxin

I purchased the cutest wig from Raquel Welsh wigs.com! Looks like my hair only thicker than I ever had ! I am ready in case ( and it will) happen ! Plan ahead? Lol