Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leanne's Gastric Bypass Story

Hi everyone,

I am 45yo, a married mom of 2, and I am currently on the preop diet with only 7lbs left to go. I've been what I called "over weight" for most of my life. My highest was 264 and now I'm at 227. I started thinking of WLS several years ago when I had a few friends go through it, but the time just wasn't right and decided to keep dieting and losing weight on my own. I'd had high hopes that each time I tried was going to be the last, but that didn't happen. I've learned a lot about "dieting" in my lifetime, so it was hard for me to admit that I just can't do it on my own. I figured I had all the tools I needed and that should be good enough. A few years ago I finished my last "diet" and just gave up. I couldn't force myself to do it anymore. I still kept some control, but mostly I was still overeating too-much-for-me portions and not exercising enough. The thought of WLS has never left my mind though, so this year I decided to look into it. I'm tired of being limited because of my size and I want to be healthy and active! It's amazing to me that with a lot of information and a new tool, I've really committed to change the way I eat (no more bad "diet" words) and live. The preop food plan is really working for me and I love it. I get hungry sometimes but I am working on thinking things through instead of just reacting (and eating). I'm learning to cope both mentally and physically and it is great. I know that the surgery will help me to continue losing weight and get to a point where I look and feel better, and am free from medical issues brought on by my obesity.

So far I've had my orientation classes and first surgeon visit. Next will be a Psychologist appointment and nutrition class. My Dr. has given me the choice between RnY and Sleeve and I am 90% sure I'll go RnY. My husband is being so supportive of me, and my kids are really interested in my changed way of eating. I love that I can educate them while learning myself.

Hopefully I can get all my preop work and appts done and have my surgery by January. Fingers crossed!

Hi Leanne, welcome to RNYTalk! I hope you hear something soon and can get your date set. I had WLS (LapBand) three years ago and revision to RNY back in August. I will be honest, I hope you stick with RNY - for a choice I personally wish I would have chosen RNY to begin with. Please let me know if you have any questions! 19 lbs lost is awesome!!!!! on preop... :-)

Welcome to RNYTalk Leanne, I'm on the journey to RNY too. I've done all my assigned tasks and waiting to hear if the bariatric group is ready for me to meet a surgeon and set a date. I'm hoping it goes through before the end of December because I just heard today that my insurance is changing as of January 1st. Nothing like throwing a glitch but, we'll see what happens. I had the lapband put in, on Feb 3th 2006, revision of the lapband in December 2008 and then it had to come out in Feb 2010 due to severe prolapse. It's taken me a little over a year to come to terms with all that and the again realization that I need help to stay on track. I know I have to work on my "mind hunger" and the lapband helped me get through those tough times....now it's time for RNY to help me make the goal. I'm looking forward to that journey and happy to have folks here for support. So I wish you the best on your journey too!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I hope you get your revision soon and avoid the insurance woes. I'm happy to be here and hope that I can get help, and give help to others here.

Hi Leanne, welcome! I just found this site and am looking at having a revision to RNY. I had lapband surgery in March 2004 and after 7 successful months of weight loss I got pregnant with my second child and stopped exercising and eating the foods that I should have. Here I am now 7 years and two children later maintaining my weight, but still with a BMI close to 40. I too have an insurance time crunch since my plan will exclude bariatric surgery as of April 1st and I must be on a medically supervised for 3 months before submitting to insurance for approval. Oh yea, and I still need to have my band removed! I'm heading in to the surgeon's office this morning to start my medically managed diet and to talk about band removal.

Please let us know once you have a surgery date. I hope all goes well for you, and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers!