Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this board, but have already gotten lots of information from it. I am from the kansas city area and have been researching the lap band for about 4 months. Currently, I am 44, 5'4" and 270 pound with a BMI of 47. I am self-pay because my employer has an exclusion on my insurance policy. Most of the docs in this area charge between $15 and $18 thousand for the surgery. So, I am going to have my done by Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver, Co. I have my phone consult on Feb. 19th and my surgery scheduled for March 16th. I am in the same spot as many others have been with all the yo-yo dieting, weight loss pills, weight watchers and so many other programs, there's not enough room here to list! I am really excited about finally making this change for myself. I have not been forth coming about this surgery to any of my co-workers or my family. My parents, who are both heavy as well, have never been very supportive in any of my weight loss endeavors. My husband understands why I want this and tries to be supportive. However, he has never had a weight problem and does not understand all the issues that come with the weight. I'm hoping to learn a lot more from everyone here to help me have a successful journey!

WELCOME MACHELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats for just going with the Self Pay option!

I'm from the KC area too, and going with Dr. Malley, but if I had to go self pay I would definately go the same route as you.

Keep us posted!!!

Welcome, Machele -

I'm also from the Kansas City area and just had my consult with Dr. Malley today and I'm scheduled for surgery on 2/15. Read, read, read everything on these boards and you will learn everything you need to know. The information is priceless. Good luck.

Sharon

Hi Machele, Congats on your decision to start a new life. I've been banded since nov 06. I have no regrets. Remember its a slow process of losing but i feel by far the healthiest (that spelled right?) choice of all the weight loss surgeries. Keep us posted..........Kelley