Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for post ops...

Hi. ..I have so many questions and I'm hoping some post op patients will have patients with me while I ask away...lol... I wanted to know if controlling your emotions and eating was hard those first 3 weeks. ..I hear you have to do an oz of Water every 15 mins? Was that hard? Then Protein. . Protein. . what do you all suggest to get inthe daily amount . if I buy a huge container of protein for shakes. . is that good enough? I know this is life changing and I want to be ready. . prepared and aware. Have any of you had to come home on day 2 and just be need ridden? What Vitamins do you have to take our do they suggest? How long should you wait to have sex? How bad is the Constipation? Has anyone slipped and taken ibuprofen?

Keeping my fingers crossed

*patience* lol

Your recovering from major surgery those first three weeks...You will be lucky to get even a little Protein and Water down...Your tummy is new and will respond accordingly....Give yourself time to heal and most of all do not panic....It will all come in time..But it takes time..most people drink broth and Protein shakes as there Protein in the beginning...You will struggle to get some down at first..Like I said it is a healing and time game at first...You cannot force your sleeve to do something it is not ready to do!

You have sex when you are ready and comfortable....That is different for each person. Constipation is a problem for a lot of sleevers....Taking stool softeners will assist in this area...

My Surgeon only allows me to take Tylenol..So that is the only pain killer I take and have not made a choice to take anything else up to this point.....

You should be given a list of Vitamins to take by your NUT. Follow that list closely...We can never eat enough to get our daily requirement...That will be a life long change....I know it will be for me.....

Hope I helped a little... :)

Everyone's answers to these questions will be a little different, we are individuals and our path after surgery is individual . . . but here are mine.

Was controlling my emotions and eating hard the first three weeks? No, for the most part I wasn't overly emotional. I had to work hard to get my Protein and liquids in (I was on full liquids for three weeks after surgery) but other than that it wasn't hard. I certainly wasn't interested in eating, craving food, etc.

An ounce of Fluid every fifteen minutes? My schedule wasn't that rigid. I had to get 64 ounces in every 24 hours, and it was a lot of sipping at first, but as long a I paced myself throughout the day, I didn't have to set a timer or anything.

Protein: while you are on liquids and purees, you'll be having Protein Shakes. I would suggest getting a boatload of samples of different kinds of protein and then start testing them AFTER surgery. What you liked before, you may well not like after. Don't buy big tubs until you know what you like. My favorite brands are Unjury and Syntrax Matrix.

Being "need ridden"? Not sure what you mean . . . I came home from the hospital and took care of myself, never felt particularly needy.

Vitamins: I take Trader Joe's High Potency chewable Multi-Vitamin (double dose), plus an Iron supplement, B-12, Vitamin D, and 1 calcium citrate petite. When I was on liquids, I took liquid vitamins from Wellesse.< /p>

How long should you wait to have sex? It upsets the nurses if you do it in the hospital. Other than that, have sex when you feel ready!

Constipation: I have had no Constipation, I poop every day, sometimes twice. (there's no such thing as TMI on this forum, right?).

Ibuprofen: I'm allowed Ibuprofen as long as it isn't a long term thing with high dosage, but I haven't taken any. I'm still working my way through the Tylenol I bought prior to surgery -- that is important, not to take Ibuprofen in the weeks leading up to surgery. I threw all the NSAIDS in my house out and replaced them with Tylenol because I was scared I would forget and mess up.

Good luck to you!

Wow.... thank you both so much. I am so glad I found this ap. BTW I meant to type bed ridden. Lol sorry...@bufflehead.. you said you came home and took care of yourself.. How was that, I only ask because it may be the same way for for me... No one seems to agree with my decision here but oh well.. the keyword is MY :)

Wow.... thank you both so much. I am so glad I found this ap. BTW I meant to type bed ridden. Lol sorry...@bufflehead.. you said you came home and took care of yourself.. How was that, I only ask because it may be the same way for for me... No one seems to agree with my decision here but oh well.. the keyword is MY :)

As Bufflehead mentioned, there are a lot of different programs and plans - so what's outlawed by one doc might be perfectly fine for another. My surgeon's rules are very lenient compared to many I've seen mentioned on this site. In fact, I was given ibuprofen while still in the hospital, after my surgery! My doc has no issues with it at all.

Concerning Protein, I am a very picky person and what some people say tastes good or great usually tastes terrible to me. I got a bunch of sample packs and finally found just 2 powders that I could stand. I also got the Premier Protein ready-to-drink ones from costco and those are saving my life. In fact, I have a bunch of powder and samples that I will never use because the Premier is all I need. I'm also at my 4th week post-op (tomorrow! time flies) and my recovery has been like clockwork. I had very little pain, no gas pains, haven't puked yet (but it's been close), and while I thought I'd lose my freakin' mind during the 2 weeks of liquids only after surgery, I did actually survive!!! LOL

I haven't had any emotional issues, but it's early still for me. What I'm finding is that now that I'm allowed purees/mushies, I am eating more carbs. This is something I need to control. It's also a balancing act, because I am still struggling to get in 8 glasses (minimum) of Water per day - not because I have trouble drinking, but because I just forget or don't feel like drinking. On an empty stomach I can gulp Water - it's very surprising. My next steps for week 4 and beyond are to track my water much closer, since the weight isn't magically falling off and I can tell I'm dehydrated. Plus, I will continue to use My Fitness Pal to track all foods, so that I can keep a watch on those carbs.

Finally, I have been having a real issue with BMs. I will suddenly realize that it's been 2 days, and so then I drink a dose of Milk of Magnesia -- X number of hours later, I experience the pain of not being regular. It is really no fun. I am planning to get on a daily dose of some sort of OTC med for this, because I hate Milk of Magnesia!!! But, I hate Constipation more. (There's just no such thing as TMI on this site, FYI :) )

I hope some of this helps. This surgery has been my best decision ever ( btw, less than 10 people are aware that I had surgery because it's my health and my decision and I don't want comments/feedback/scrutiny), and I wish I could have done this 10 years ago. Good luck to you!

As Bufflehead mentioned, there are a lot of different programs and plans - so what's outlawed by one doc might be perfectly fine for another. My surgeon's rules are very lenient compared to many I've seen mentioned on this site. In fact, I was given ibuprofen while still in the hospital, after my surgery! My doc has no issues with it at all.

Concerning Protein, I am a very picky person and what some people say tastes good or great usually tastes terrible to me. I got a bunch of sample packs and finally found just 2 powders that I could stand. I also got the Premier Protein ready-to-drink ones from costco and those are saving my life. In fact, I have a bunch of powder and samples that I will never use because the Premier is all I need. I'm also at my 4th week post-op (tomorrow! time flies) and my recovery has been like clockwork. I had very little pain, no gas pains, haven't puked yet (but it's been close), and while I thought I'd lose my freakin' mind during the 2 weeks of liquids only after surgery, I did actually survive!!! LOL

I haven't had any emotional issues, but it's early still for me. What I'm finding is that now that I'm allowed purees/mushies, I am eating more carbs. This is something I need to control. It's also a balancing act, because I am still struggling to get in 8 glasses (minimum) of Water per day - not because I have trouble drinking, but because I just forget or don't feel like drinking. On an empty stomach I can gulp Water - it's very surprising. My next steps for week 4 and beyond are to track my water much closer, since the weight isn't magically falling off and I can tell I'm dehydrated. Plus, I will continue to use My Fitness Pal to track all foods, so that I can keep a watch on those carbs.

Finally, I have been having a real issue with BMs. I will suddenly realize that it's been 2 days, and so then I drink a dose of Milk of Magnesia -- X number of hours later, I experience the pain of not being regular. It is really no fun. I am planning to get on a daily dose of some sort of OTC med for this, because I hate Milk of Magnesia!!! But, I hate Constipation more. (There's just no such thing as TMI on this site, FYI :) )

I hope some of this helps. This surgery has been my best decision ever ( btw, less than 10 people are aware that I had surgery because it's my health and my decision and I don't want comments/feedback/scrutiny), and I wish I could have done this 10 years ago. Good luck to you!

Vitamins: I take Trader Joe's High Potency chewable multi-Vitamin (double dose), plus an Iron supplement, B-12, Vitamin D, and 1 calcium citrate petite. When I was on liquids, I took liquid Vitamins from Wellesse.< /span>

​Add to this magnesium, and Zinc...Zinc is a body healer and must be taken at three weeks on and three weeks off..I had 11 surgeries after my sleeve and Zinc has helped with all the healing....I take Biotin for my hair and skin and yogurt gel and a cranberry gel pill every day....Some times I take a probiotic gel because I have had issues after the sleeve and that has helped to deal with them.....

Vitamins: I take Trader Joe's High Potency chewable multi-Vitamin (double dose), plus an Iron supplement, B-12, Vitamin D, and 1 calcium citrate petite. When I was on liquids, I took liquid Vitamins from Wellesse.< /span>

​Add to this magnesium, and Zinc...Zinc is a body healer and must be taken at three weeks on and three weeks off..I had 11 surgeries after my sleeve and Zinc has helped with all the healing....I take Biotin for my hair and skin and yogurt gel and a cranberry gel pill every day....Some times I take a probiotic gel because I have had issues after the sleeve and that has helped to deal with them.....

I had surgery two weeks ago. Out of everything, the worst thing for me was I threw up once and had some dry heaves the first night. The next morning they gave me some wonderful medicine and it went away. I needed help getting up for a few hours in the hospital, but after that, I was able to do things on my own. They did keep me for two nights, instead of 1 because of the first night. I didn't drive for a week, but that was my choice. I have a very low car and didn't want to have to climb out of it. I never needed pain medication so I didn't have to worry about driving while on it. I went back to work part time 5 days after surgery and the following Monday went back full time. It was exhausting in the beginning of the week but get easier as the week went on.

I tried a few Protein Drinks and found I like Unjury the best. I particularly like the chocolate Splendor and I put PB2 in it, with my NUT's approval. It's wonderful! I found while on the liquid diet portion and taking the Protein drinks, it's hard to get it all in. The Water hasn't been a problem. Just sip,sip, sip away!

I haven't had sex yet. Not for any medical or physical reasons, just haven't. My husband is being more than patient!

Now that I've moved on from pureed food to soft food, I seem to be alternating Constipation and diareaha. I haven't been able to get in as much yogurt as I'd like, so i'm not balanced out yet. I'm sure once I get back on it, I'll even out.

Everyone's journey is different, but I was exactly like you! I wanted to be prepared and ready for when I got home. I found I over prepared, but I guess that's ok! Emotionally, I was so ready for it to happen already. Even now, a couple of weeks out, I find I'm more excited than ever. The weight is melting away and I feel euphoric!

Best of luck to you!!!!!

I had surgery two weeks ago. Out of everything, the worst thing for me was I threw up once and had some dry heaves the first night. The next morning they gave me some wonderful medicine and it went away. I needed help getting up for a few hours in the hospital, but after that, I was able to do things on my own. They did keep me for two nights, instead of 1 because of the first night. I didn't drive for a week, but that was my choice. I have a very low car and didn't want to have to climb out of it. I never needed pain medication so I didn't have to worry about driving while on it. I went back to work part time 5 days after surgery and the following Monday went back full time. It was exhausting in the beginning of the week but get easier as the week went on.

I tried a few Protein drinks and found I like Unjury the best. I particularly like the chocolate Splendor and I put PB2 in it, with my NUT's approval. It's wonderful! I found while on the liquid diet portion and taking the protein drinks, it's hard to get it all in. The Water hasn't been a problem. Just sip,sip, sip away!

I haven't had sex yet. Not for any medical or physical reasons, just haven't. My husband is being more than patient!

Now that I've moved on from pureed food to soft food, I seem to be alternating Constipation and diareaha. I haven't been able to get in as much yogurt as I'd like, so i'm not balanced out yet. I'm sure once I get back on it, I'll even out.

Everyone's journey is different, but I was exactly like you! I wanted to be prepared and ready for when I got home. I found I over prepared, but I guess that's ok! Emotionally, I was so ready for it to happen already. Even now, a couple of weeks out, I find I'm more excited than ever. The weight is melting away and I feel euphoric!

Best of luck to you!!!!!

Hi. ..I have so many questions and I'm hoping some post op patients will have patients with me while I ask away...lol... I wanted to know if controlling your emotions and eating was hard those first 3 weeks. ..I hear you have to do an oz of Water every 15 mins? Was that hard? Then Protein. . protein. . what do you all suggest to get inthe daily amount . if I buy a huge container of protein for shakes. . is that good enough? I know this is life changing and I want to be ready. . prepared and aware. Have any of you had to come home on day 2 and just be need ridden? What Vitamins do you have to take our do they suggest? How long should you wait to have sex? How bad is the Constipation? Has anyone slipped and taken ibuprofen?

I answered a lot of those questions on my Youtube channel. If you'd like to hear my answers, check out the link in my signature. If you have more questions, feel free to hit me up by private message and I'll be happy to share my experiences.

Hi. ..I have so many questions and I'm hoping some post op patients will have patients with me while I ask away...lol... I wanted to know if controlling your emotions and eating was hard those first 3 weeks. ..I hear you have to do an oz of Water every 15 mins? Was that hard? Then Protein. . protein. . what do you all suggest to get inthe daily amount . if I buy a huge container of protein for shakes. . is that good enough? I know this is life changing and I want to be ready. . prepared and aware. Have any of you had to come home on day 2 and just be need ridden? What Vitamins do you have to take our do they suggest? How long should you wait to have sex? How bad is the Constipation? Has anyone slipped and taken ibuprofen?

I answered a lot of those questions on my Youtube channel. If you'd like to hear my answers, check out the link in my signature. If you have more questions, feel free to hit me up by private message and I'll be happy to share my experiences.

Controlling emotions and eating ? I'm 2 weeks out and I cried for 20 mins today while my family was eating pizza in the kitchen !! Hardest thing Iv ever done in my life !!