Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh excuse me i didnt know the food police worked here!

I'm not sleeved yet but I had kind of a funny moment when I was out to Breakfast at cracker barrel. My friends all ordered normal meals of eggs, pancakes and sausage, etc. I ordered a side of toast ( due to being massively hungover ). I order fine but when the food comes out, a manager actually came over to make sure I got all my food (yup, my toast is here!) and oh no! Do I not like what's on the menu?? It was a glimpse into what I imagine my future will be like post sleeve surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had a very interesting discussion with a friend of mine just this morning. He has gone carb free and lost quite a bit. He asked if I still have cravings because yesterday he went crazy and had 3 pieces of pizza... Some candy and more. I told him that I really don't because I can eat anything I want. I choose to eat healthy the majority of the time, but occasionally I indulge. Just last night we went to the fair and my daughter got the "curly fries". I had a few bites and was just fine. This lifestyle is not about giving things up, it's about making good choices. I refuse to "give up" foods. This is a forever thing. I just know that some foods can only be eaten on the rarest of occasions :) I was sleeved 6/3 and I'm down 80 lbs so far!!!

I had a very interesting discussion with a friend of mine just this morning. He has gone carb free and lost quite a bit. He asked if I still have cravings because yesterday he went crazy and had 3 pieces of pizza... Some candy and more. I told him that I really don't because I can eat anything I want. I choose to eat healthy the majority of the time, but occasionally I indulge. Just last night we went to the fair and my daughter got the "curly fries". I had a few bites and was just fine. This lifestyle is not about giving things up, it's about making good choices. I refuse to "give up" foods. This is a forever thing. I just know that some foods can only be eaten on the rarest of occasions :) I was sleeved 6/3 and I'm down 80 lbs so far!!!

This is exactly how I feel about it all......I refuse to stop eating all kinds of food...moderation and balance is the main key...

My son in-law could not eat at the table with me for months after my surgery..He said it made him feel bad that I could not eat more then a few bites...11 months out..I eat whatever I cook for the family...I also over fill my plate and leave what I can't eat...Hubby does the clean up...He loves that...So it looks like I am the same but they have stopped watching me at least....down 160lbs. Working for me!!!

For the last 20 years I've been on ever diet imaginable.

Low fat no fat everything.

Now I eat what my body needs and I'm down 45lbs in 2 months.

I'm so much more conscious of what I eat but if I want to eat 3 of my husbands fries or have a few tortilla chips with guacamole I'm not going to stop because I want to live and eat and enjoy.

The bonus ith the sleeve is that I know I can only have a few of something's and I know I'm never going to go overboard again.

This is really helpful in prepping for next week when I go visit my family. They are all watching me and haven't seen me since surgery. It'll be ok. I'm a big girl now and I'm truly happy today in a million ways. What I eat can be their issue, it doesn't have to be an issue for me. .

i can't stand when i hang out with my friends (i'm 2 weeks post op and still on liquids) and they get food and are like "is it okay if we eat this in front of you?" it drives me CRAZY. they act like i'll never be able to eat anything again. for example my friend got sushi the other day and brought it over and he was like "sucks you won't be able to eat this anymore" and i just went off on him (thanks raging hormones). it's tough to explain that eventually i'll be able to eat whatever i want, but it's just a matter of what i CHOOSE to eat. i get touchy with this subject haha!

Speaking of sushi, I just had it for the first time post-op (about 4 months out) and it was yummy! I haven't had many people saying things like this to me. I work virtually, so I'm sure it would be different if I worked in an office. I can completely see some of my past co-workers being complete jerks and driving me crazy. My family has been really good about it and I just got back from a week long work event and all my co-workers were supportive and complementing me. Some of them asked if I could eat this or that, but that was more out of concern for me and deciding were to eat dinner.

I think so many people are uneducated about this surgery or my have the wrong information. They really should think before they speak though!

I decided right out of surgery to post about my journey on fb. Everyone knows. My friends have been incredibly supportive. The one thing I posted was PLEASE EAT in FRONT of ME. I even had to good friends over week 1 post op and bought them a pizza, so they would eat. I no tell people what it's like being me and what my meals consist of. Educating your friends and family will help you get through this, so I've been told.

My husband starts asking me if I'm full yet after my 1st bite (he's usually looking to nab my leftovers) and by my 5th bite, he's saying "I think ur eating too much. Ur gunna stretch ur sleeve". While I eat small portions of everything (there is no right or wrong food in my diet), I guess it would make my husband feel better if I ate 2 bites of my meal.

He's not really the food police but it does make me feel guilty, like I'm eating too much. For instance this morning we met a friend I hadn't seen in over 20 yrs at IHOP for Breakfast. I ordered the childs rooty tooty (1 egg, 1 pc of bacon, 1 pumpkin pancake). I ate about 1/2 of my eggs, 1/3 of my bacon, and maybe 4 bites of a pancake. He was ready to take over my breakfast in 3 mi utes howver...

My hubs is always eye balling my food, pre and post surgery, LOL. I'm always telling him to back off.

Yeah, this is one of the many reasons I only told a select few people in my life. That really stinks. People need to mind their own business!

I had a very interesting discussion with a friend of mine just this morning. He has gone carb free and lost quite a bit. He asked if I still have cravings because yesterday he went crazy and had 3 pieces of pizza... Some candy and more. I told him that I really don't because I can eat anything I want. I choose to eat healthy the majority of the time' date=' but occasionally I indulge. Just last night we went to the fair and my daughter got the "curly fries". I had a few bites and was just fine. This lifestyle is not about giving things up, it's about making good choices. I refuse to "give up" foods. This is a forever thing. I just know that some foods can only be eaten on the rarest of occasions :) I was sleeved 6/3 and I'm down 80 lbs so far!!![/quote']

that is exactly how I feel as well, and when I explain this to people they give me a look like "then why did you get surgery". uhhhh... this is my decision and my choices. people these days! smh

Here's what I wonder about. There are people on this earth who are naturally thin, naturally eat like birds, always have & always will. Do they get harassed for what is on their plate or how much they eat of it? I find myself wondering that when I feel self conscious about my intake in public.

I try to imagine that *I* am one of those naturally thin people with a small appetite, and I adopt that attitude so that if anyone messes with me I can deal with it in a way that conveys the proper amount of nonchalance -- the amount of nonchalance I imagine someone who has always been thin would have. LOL this I am sure will be more convincing once I am actually thin. But for now...I try to "create my own reality" and project the energy that say "Why yes, this IS what I am eating and what I want to eat, I find it odd that you concern yourself with it!

And yes, the ONLY person (a coworker) who has EVER harassed me has been one of the handful of people who knows about the surgery. People who don't know just don't even notice what's on my plate. That's a big reason why I never told a bunch of people. :) WLS is not what defines me!

I have been out and eat anything I want. I have gone out and had boneless chicken wings! Instead of the 10 to 12 I would have had pre op I had 3 cut up in small bites. I had fun and ate something I love ( I we as sleeved in May) I don't count calories but position size. I have lost 93 lbs so far and have a better relationship with food. It is still my drug but I it does not control my life like it use to!

Only a few people know that I've had the surgery. Right from the start my girlfriend and I discussed that it was important for her not to be the food police. The other people that I've told are close friends and they haven't tried to control my eating in any way.

My suggestion is to not be overly sensitive about it. If you have told people about it who don't know you very well, extend them the benefit of the doubt. If they say something that you feel is critical, thank them for caring enough about you to say something, and appreciate the fact that they care enough about to say something. If you feel that they are saying it to be mean, take the high road and thank them anyway.

Insofar as managers and waiters at restaurants, if they ask you if everything is OK because you didn't eat much, don't take this personally. They are showing concern for you as a customer, because sometimes people don't speak up when there is a problem with a meal. Just thank them for their concern and reassure them that the food was great but you just weren't very hungry. You can prevent this from being a problem if you ask for a to-go box to be brought out when you order your food, or when the food is brought to the table.

I tell everyone about my surgery, and order what I want in restaurants. Sometimes friends apologize over restaurant selections -- especially buffets -- cause it's such a waste of money for me. I always assure them that I am there for the company, not the food.

And, I'm am starting to notice how one of my male friends always manages to sit next to me, so he can finish the 2/3's of my meals that I don't eat. Too funny!