Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh excuse me i didnt know the food police worked here!

One of the things I hate most is when people see me plate and say, "Oh I didn't know you could eat that, or oh I didn't know you were allowed to eat that" I'm so glad that I have built in food detectives!! If I do eat something or have something that in not supposed to....it's none of NO ONEs business!!! BTW I haven't eaten anything I'm not supposed to, I had 1 egg and a link sausage for mid-morning!

I guess because just about everyone knows I had surgery everybody is curious as to what I'm eating....

Does this happen to you?

Kim

Sleeved 8/8/13

Down 37lbs

This happens to me all the time now....My family used to stop talking and all look at me at the same time to see how much I ate or what I was eating....

A friend came over yesterday and gave me an apple...She just knew that the other stuff she brought to snack on would not be the right thing for me to eat....

My husband said after I ate a Halloween sized chocolate bar....when was the last time you were on the forum....

The other night a guest said you eat really well at supper but you really need to improve during the day...

Life is full of know it all's I tell them to back off or they will regret it....I am stronger now then I used to be..So i think I can take some of them....LOL

i can't stand when i hang out with my friends (i'm 2 weeks post op and still on liquids) and they get food and are like "is it okay if we eat this in front of you?" it drives me CRAZY. they act like i'll never be able to eat anything again. for example my friend got sushi the other day and brought it over and he was like "sucks you won't be able to eat this anymore" and i just went off on him (thanks raging hormones). it's tough to explain that eventually i'll be able to eat whatever i want, but it's just a matter of what i CHOOSE to eat. i get touchy with this subject haha!

One of the things I hate most is when people see me plate and say' date=' "Oh I didn't know you could eat that, or oh I didn't know you were allowed to eat that" I'm so glad that I have built in food detectives!! If I do eat something or have something that in not supposed to....it's none of NO ONEs business!!! BTW I haven't eaten anything I'm not supposed to, I had 1 egg and a link sausage for mid-morning!

I guess because just about everyone knows I had surgery everybody is curious as to what I'm eating....

Does this happen to you?

Kim

Sleeved 8/8/13

Down 37lbs[/quote']

Just tell them, "Yes I can have this. It's what is called a slider food.... goes straight through". What they don't know won't hurt them, and is none of their business anyway.

Just shake it off. People have silly attitudes. Some of them might be jealous that you don't have to be obsessive about certain foods anymore....

I'd suggest you not let them throw you off your healthy eating plan....someone's lousy attitude shouldn't bring you down! Remember that you're worth it, and you're better than that.

This happens to me all the time as a Type I diabetic. Very uneducated people see "Steel Magnolias" and assume a piece of chocolate will make me drop dead. Lovely. I don't know what will happen post-surgery

Ignorance is a wonderful thing. NOT.

You can chose to educate, chose to pick back, or just ignore them. My response depends on who it is, what they say, and what my hormones are saying at the time. Today we went to the local fair for lunch. Someone asked how I got a salad - I didn't, it was a skewer without bread and there was a lot of lettuce and tomatoes and I had eaten the meat already - while they chowed down on fried food (and it smelled good). I went for the company. The fried food was killing me, but only slightly. I missed the idea of it, and wasn't hungry once I ate. They are all miserable right now, and I still feel good and had a nice afternoon in the sun.

Choices. It's all about choices. I'm feeling very philosophical right now. Later on, I might scream. Hormones :)

I love all these responses, glad I'm not the only one who gets the eyes and the questions EVERYTIME I eat!!!

Kim

Unfortunately, there are many who are afraid of there own weight issues (most women gain each year until they reach a point that it is unhealthy - just go to a public event and look at how big we as a nation have and are becoming). The fact that you have taken a major step to control your eating and allow you to choose healthier food choices and amounts is threatening to many. This is why I shared my sx with only 3 people. Remember everyone while have an opinion of you, so just develop thick skin and focus on yourself (which is hard for women to do). Congrats on your weight loss and keep up the good work.

One of the things I hate most is when people see me plate and say, "Oh I didn't know you could eat that, or oh I didn't know you were allowed to eat that" I'm so glad that I have built in food detectives!! If I do eat something or have something that in not supposed to....it's none of NO ONEs business!!! BTW I haven't eaten anything I'm not supposed to, I had 1 egg and a link sausage for mid-morning!

Does this happen to you?

Kim

Sleeved 8/8/13

Down 37lbs

Yes, in the beginning, but I don't think they mean anything by it. I think they are surprised that there are not 'rules'. My sister in law said to me, after I reached goal and we were out to eat.....I am so glad to see you can eat like a real person, just less. She had NO idea what WLS was about and figured it would be something like all the other 'fad' diets we've all been on in the past!! :)

My favorite is "is that ALLL you're going to eat??!!" And it gets better when I can't even eat "ALLL" of whatever it is!! OMG rude people!

My husband starts asking me if I'm full yet after my 1st bite (he's usually looking to nab my leftovers) and by my 5th bite, he's saying "I think ur eating too much. Ur gunna stretch ur sleeve". While I eat small portions of everything (there is no right or wrong food in my diet), I guess it would make my husband feel better if I ate 2 bites of my meal.

He's not really the food police but it does make me feel guilty, like I'm eating too much. For instance this morning we met a friend I hadn't seen in over 20 yrs at IHOP for Breakfast. I ordered the childs rooty tooty (1 egg, 1 pc of bacon, 1 pumpkin pancake). I ate about 1/2 of my eggs, 1/3 of my bacon, and maybe 4 bites of a pancake. He was ready to take over my Breakfast in 3 mi utes howver...

This is one of the reasons why I chose not to tell many people. I would have very little tolerance for comments like that.

So sorry to hear this, but sadly not surprised. People can just be thoughtless and mean. Less than 10 people are aware I've had surgery, for this exact reason. All those who don't know about my surgery will notice I eat less, and then then will notice I am losing weight. That's all they need to know!!! :)

Hang in there, you are doing everything you should. The most important thing is to "take care of you."