Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vanity vs empowerment

I have been reading the comments about people not being sure about having cosmetic surgery because they had the sleeve for their health and not for vanity reasons. I have a little experience with all of this. I was not always heavy. About 3 years ago I was 150 lbs and had just lost 40 pounds (took about one year). I had liposuction to get rid of the saddle bags and love handles. My surgeon did such an amazing job that I started to work for him. I am a registered nurse and I now do all of his private nursing. It is so awesome to see women empowered to fix little things that bother them about their bodies. And they range in age from their 30's to their 70's. Having face work and body work. But try not to think of it as vanity. Try to think of it as an investment in self esteem and confidence. You may not realize how that will make you so much stronger in other ways. Long story short I had to take a medication called megace last year which caused me to gain 80 pounds in 6 months leaving me about 100 pounds overweight. I was discriminated against by people in restaurants, department stores, grocery stores, etc.... I ended up having the sleeve done (for both health reasons and I was tired of yo-yo dieting and the depression that came with it). I am sure it was the best thing I've every done for myself. The next step? Planning for plastic surgery- I deserve it and so do you!!!

I don't mean to be rude, but your post sounded like a bit of an advert for plastic surgery. You're not soliciting for customers, are you?!

I don't mean to be rude' date=' but your post sounded like a bit of an advert for plastic surgery. You're not soliciting for customers, are you?![/quote']

Soliciting? Not at all. More like encouraging through experience. I guess it is an advertisement- for how positive plastic surgery can be for someone like me that was a 1x in February. I had a very hard time with being treated differently for my size. I want to encourage people that are thinking about it.

I don't think it was an advertisement. She did not mention the dr's name or location nor did she say to message her for his name. I too do a little battle with myself about ps and it being cosmetic vs reconstructive. After 130+ loss it is definitely reconstructive!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

That is my view right now. I did have sleeve surgery for health and not vanity reasons. At this point, I still don't think I will have plastics at anytime in the future but I never say never. Except wallpaper. Wallpaper is a never, ever, ever for me. I digress... :D

Nice to consider another point of view.

Good luck to you! :)

To each his own!

I don't judge others for their decisions on this or most other topics.

I am 49, I feel beautiful and sexy until I take my clothes off and can see the skin for two women. My highest weight was 332 and i weigh about 152 right now. So, yes, it is cosmetic but I deserve it!

I can also see why others would not want to go this route, i get scars instead. for me it is worth it. I see that some people who get plastics are like "never satisfied" - the michael jackson syndrome or whatever - and I think they should really consider if they are trying to fix an emotional problem not a physical problem.

Anyway,I feel blessed that i have this chance to improve my body with plastics. My boyfriend tells me that with clothes on, even short skirts, I don't look like someone who was EVER overweight. I feel so lucky that I don't have fat calves, that my shoulders and upper chest are shapely and that my face is at least "ok". I dream of him saying that about me with clothes not on. :) I don't know what results I will have... the results really vary ALOT even among one surgeon. What i do know is that it will be so much better to be able to wear that form fitting dress without figuring out how to hide that belly skin.