Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IT'S NOT HEALTHY! IT'S JUNK!

As adults we should all be intelligent enough to know the difference between what is really healthy and what is disguised as healthy. A trip to the grocery store yesterday sparked something in me and I just can't get it off my mind. JUNK food DISGUISED AS HEALTHY food, especially with Snacks and food geared towards children. While in the dairy dept I couldn't help but her this little girl screaming " MOMMY, I WANT THE ONE'S WITH THE M&M'S" I looked over to discover she was talking about yogurt that had a separate little container attached to the top containing M&M's. REALLY! M&M's?! Then the mother asked the kids, "Would ya'll like to have some of the yogurts with the crushed Oreo's also?" I just shook my head and thought, lady why didn't you just buy them some Little Debbie snack cakes instead. Manufactures package this food to appeal to children, and parents I'm finding are too lazy to even look at the label and find out for themselves that IT'S NOT HEALTHY! IT'S JUNK!

Oh, man...I agree with you completely. It's rampant among foods targeted towards kids (and lazy parents), but it's also a problem in foods targeted towards adults as healthy or diet-smart. So often, when fat is removed from a food, sugar is added. The original amount of fat would likely have been healthier for our bodies than the sugars that replaced it. We have so many processed, additive-laden, chemically altered, tweaked-based-on-market studies kinds of products in our grocery stores. The amount of real, unprocessed food available in our stores & included in our diets is declining rapidly. In my opinion, the rates of obesity in this country are directly connected to the amount of processed crap we consume.

Fat free 1/2 and 1/2 is a perfect example. My mom started buying it for my dad to put in his coffee. When I went home to visit, I used it too and noticed a slimy film on the bottom of my coffee cup. I looked at the label and saw they replaced the fat with corn Syrup solids. I convinced my mom this was way worse than a little fat, so she's back to the real stuff. No one is happier than my dad!

judgey wudgy was a bear....how do you know she's "lazy"? Maybe those yogurts were treats. You have no idea what her kids eat every day. You have chosen to make a life change, but that doesn't mean you should go around making judgments about others. Nor does it qualify you to. I honestly do my best to feed my son well. I really hate the thought that if I pick up a treat for him, some self-righteous woman next to me in a supermarket is automatically labeling me a lazy parent. Just a thought.

judgey wudgy was a bear....how do you know she's "lazy"? Maybe those yogurts were treats. You have no idea what her kids eat every day. You have chosen to make a life change' date=' but that doesn't mean you should go around making judgments about others. Nor does it qualify you to. I honestly do my best to feed my son well. I really hate the thought that if I pick up a treat for him, some self-righteous woman next to me in a supermarket is automatically labeling me a lazy parent. Just a thought.[/quote']

Wholeheartedly agree with you. I just bought my son some yogurt with Cookies. He has a sensory perception disorder and the texture of the Cookies helps to get him to eat the yogurt. I struggle every day just to find things that he can eat. I focus on getting him to eat Protein and the rest of it I don't worry as much about.

I remember buying them years ago, with the thought... maybe this kid will end up liking yogurt. She does, but no longer the kind with m&m's. She eats low-fat yogurt almost daily. Even if you are fanatical and feed a kid everything healthy, the daycare, school and teachers, church, clubs, everyone else is going to give them stuff that isn't. My father was diagnosed with pre-diabeties when I was 8 or so and we only had healthy stuff in our house. My mother fussed at me for everything I ate. Do you really want another piece of meat? When I started getting allowance it was for my stash of contraband. When I went to other friends houses, I literally binged. I started my first diet at 12 years old to get a trampoline. I was 130, and lost 20 lbs and got the trampoline. I starved myself, and it has been a lifetime of binging and dieting since. When my daughters Dad left she went from being skinny to chunky overnight. I never pushed her toward a diet. She also went on her first diet when she w 11/12 and she lost from 172 to 125 during that summer and now at 17 she is about 150 (she is 5'7). She walks daily. She pushed herself. I hope by working it out on her own she doesn't end up like I did. She's drinking my shakes, she likes trying stuff. She eats a lot of fruit. She also gets what she wants at restaurants, takes a few bites and brings it home and eats on it for the next few days. Now I will say I NUTTED up when she was little about green ketchup, purple ketchup and pink butter. I refused to buy it but the ex bought it and we had a refrigerator full of the crap. That was my pet peeve

judgey wudgy was a bear....how do you know she's "lazy"? Maybe those yogurts were treats. You have no idea what her kids eat every day. You have chosen to make a life change, but that doesn't mean you should go around making judgments about others. Nor does it qualify you to. I honestly do my best to feed my son well. I really hate the thought that if I pick up a treat for him, some self-righteous woman next to me in a supermarket is automatically labeling me a lazy parent. Just a thought. Well you'd better go look in the mirror and recite that little poem to yourself, that is unless you've never passed judgement on anybody and that would make you perfect which you're not. You took my comment way too personal and you shouldn't have, it wasn't about you. Every person who buys these sort of things are not necessarily lazy but yes, so many are. As far as me or anyone else next to you in the store being self righteous or labeling you as a lazy parent, well that's something you have no control of deary. People are going to judge you your whole life no matter what, so you'd better get use to it. What people think inside their own mind about you are their personal thoughts and that is none of your business. Just a thought

judgey wudgy was a bear....how do you know she's "lazy"? Maybe those yogurts were treats. You have no idea what her kids eat every day. You have chosen to make a life change, but that doesn't mean you should go around making judgments about others. Nor does it qualify you to. I honestly do my best to feed my son well. I really hate the thought that if I pick up a treat for him, some self-righteous woman next to me in a supermarket is automatically labeling me a lazy parent. Just a thought.

Well you'd better go look in the mirror and recite that little poem to yourself, that is unless you've never passed judgement on anybody and that would make you perfect which you're not. You took my comment way too personal and you shouldn't have, it wasn't about you. Every person who buys these sort of things are not necessarily lazy but yes, so many are. As far as me or anyone else next to you in the store being self righteous or labeling you as a lazy parent, well that's something you have no control of deary. People are going to judge you your whole life no matter what, so you'd better get use to it. What people think inside their own mind about you are their personal thoughts and that is none of your business. Just a thought

Wow everyone has made valid points. The point I would like to make is that we have to encourage moderation. Not all of us will have children that will grow up to be obese but some will because of genetics,and some may simply just fall in love in with food just like we did. As a child I had no one to push moderation to me,and even as an adult there are and have been some food and drinks that I simply just could not have 1 of. I never did understand the amount or the access that I had to these foods would play a huge role in my life. We live in a time now were some people judge us based off what they see and know. I think if we just spend more time in teaching moderation there's nothing wrong with having a snack or 2. I wish I was able to go back and change so much in my childhood that may have helped me to this day.

And on Sesame Street today, we shall be learning about 'Narrative Modes' and the difference between them... <bashes her head on the desk repeatedly and falls off her chair blissfully unconscious> :blink:

I know lots of people who aren't lazy and buy treats, knowing they are not particularly healthy. I'm one of them. I'd like to think I'm somewhat intelligent.

But I do agree that a lot of junk food is disguised as "healthy."

I have to agree that there are too many foods disguised as healthy, and so many parents fall for them. I work in a convenience store and You would be SHOCKED at how many parents won't let their kids get candy and then will say: "Here, why don't you get these fruit Snacks instead" or they won't buy their child a soda, but they'll get them a drink that is "mango-carrot juice" when in reality it only has 7% fruit juice. I don't doubt these parents are trying to make better choices for their kids by steering them away from foods that they deem less healthy, but they're falling for the pretty labels and advertising... and it's not about lazy and I'm not talking about parents who are consciously choosing to buy an occasional treat for their child.. these are people who are legitimately believing that they are helping their kids make better choices.

How hard is it to turn a package over and read the nutritional label. Maybe lazy is the wrong word, maybe it's denial. A lot of people don't want to know the truth about all these so called healthy Snacks, because then they would be responsible to do even more research on the products they are buying. They would have to work a little harder to find better options and well, they just don't feel like. That's what make them um uh well...lazy. Now, before anyone gets their knickers in a wad, I 'm not talking about the occasional treat, I do however believe that when we purchase these products that are packaged and advertised to be healthy and they are not, we are sending a direct message to these companies that we fell for their line of BS, we bought it hook, line and sinker. I cant stand the fact that they are taking us for fools, I have more respect for the snack cake company who isn't trying to sell me their oatmeal cream pies on the premise that the product is healthy because it contain "real oatmeal". What's happening today with all these "fat free" sugar riddled sodium loaded so call "healthier choices" is false advertising to the max and its running rampant throughout our country. Sugar is the now the new crack!

Well you'd better go look in the mirror and recite that little poem to yourself, that is unless you've never passed judgement on anybody and that would make you perfect which you're not. You took my comment way too personal and you shouldn't have, it wasn't about you. Every person who buys these sort of things are not necessarily lazy but yes, so many are. As far as me or anyone else next to you in the store being self righteous or labeling you as a lazy parent, well that's something you have no control of deary. People are going to judge you your whole life no matter what, so you'd better get use to it. What people think inside their own mind about you are their personal thoughts and that is none of your business. Just a thought

I rest my case, your honor.

Well maybe knickers wouldn't be wadded if you hadn't made this woman out to be a complete jack ass for buying yogurt with a half serving of M&Ms attached. I'm headed to the grocery store now. I hope no one judges me for placing a box of Teddy Grahams in my cart full of meat and produce lol.