Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression 5 days post op

Hi there, this is my first time posting on here and I really didn't want this to be a negative thing but am wondering if anyonelse went through the same thing. I have struggled with postnatal depression for around 2.5 years now and am on 150mg of Zoloft. I thought (silly me) that straight after surgery I would be feeling heaps better especially with already losing 5kg in a week but I'm really feeling that my depression has gotten worst. I don't know if the lack of energy and limited liquid intake has affected it (I'm sure it has) but I just feel really down to the point that it's affecting my relationship with my husband and children. Is this normal? Will it pass? This is meant to be a happy time, a new beginning

I am also feeling depressed and i even regret having surgery... Its been too much things to deal with :( lets hang on!

I was really depressed on day 4. Didn't feel good, was hungry and very emotional. It didn't last long - maybe a week or so. Try to move around some and get plenty of rest. I promise, it does get better. I'm 7 weeks out now and doing fine.

Depression after large changes in your life I think is normal... When I first had my lap band surgery (I just converted to the sleeve on Sept 11th) I was incredibly depressed and questioned my decision... I've had friends who have had this surgery that have experienced the depression... The biggest thing is to busy your mind with anything you REALLY enjoy doing and get as active as you can... I take a 20 min walk.. That's as much as I can take before I get too sore... It will pass eventually but you have to work at it...

I'm sorry to hear that. I was 6 weeks out on Wednesday, down 33 pounds---which is 10% of my body weight---, and was feeling great. I was honestly thinking I was not going to go through any sort of depression which is quite common after this surgery. Then I've had the week from hell. When it rains it pours and today I'm feeling pretty pathetic. This is the lowest I've ever felt. I've slept all day. I called my family dr and she did some lab work. I'm dehydrated. Told me to drink 24 bottles of Water this weekend and come in on Monday for fluids. So I'm sure that has something to do with it. But also, I've read on here that lots of hormones are released from your fat cells when you're losing weight so maybe that's part of it. At any rate, even though I know it's part of the process, it sure isn't making me feel any better today. I hope you feel better ASAP; it really is a whole new life!!

This surgery is an emotional rollercoaster! There are lots of ups and downs and the best thing you can do is realize that they will come and then go. The feelings are temporary, and will pass. You have made significant changes to your body and taken away your ability to use food to sooth yourself. The emotional lows are normal and while they seem overwhelming at the time, they do pass and you will feel better I promise! Make sure you are getting all the Protein, fluids and movement that your doctor recommended. I also found that if my calories were below 800 that I felt absolutely awful, but I couldn't get 800+ calories in my stomach per day until around week 3 or 4. Hang in there it will all be worth it when you see the weight come off and the scale move lower!

The best advice is see the Dr who prescribed Zoloft and fell them what is happening. Don't wait to feel better. If you have a history of depression get in and see your doc. They can change your dosage or prescribe a different medication. If you see a therapist make an appointment. If not call your insurance company and see what they cover a pick a therapist and GO. Check out your local support group. It may take a village to raise a child but it takes a team of support to manage a life altering event. You are completely normal to have this deepen an existing depressive episode. Good luck and keep us posted. We are all rooting for you!

I agree with Belize that you need to see your doctor or psychiatrist to get help with your depression! I hope you feel better soon.

It wouldn't hurt to ask about alternative meds. I have been taking Zoloft for three years for post-stroke anxiety, and as soon as I had my first visit with the bariatric physician, she immediately changed my med to Buproprion, which is a Wellbutrin generic. Within two weeks my mood lifted so much, that I had not realized how underserved I had been with the Zoloft. There are several different meds out there to treat depression and/or anxiety, so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks everyone for your input and motivational words. I seem to be having a better day today. I suppose I didn't consider that there would be ups and downs in the journey. Xx

Hi there' date=' this is my first time posting on here and I really didn't want this to be a negative thing but am wondering if anyonelse went through the same thing. I have struggled with postnatal depression for around 2.5 years now and am on 150mg of Zoloft. I thought (silly me) that straight after surgery I would be feeling heaps better especially with already losing 5kg in a week but I'm really feeling that my depression has gotten worst. I don't know if the lack of energy and limited liquid intake has affected it (I'm sure it has) but I just feel really down to the point that it's affecting my relationship with my husband and children. Is this normal? Will it pass? This is meant to be a happy time, a new beginning[/quote']

I had the same problem! One day I'm fine the next I don't wanna get off the couch. I almost regret my decision but I'm hoping getting back to work and a normal routine will help. I have a husband and two small children and I don't want to be depressed. I'm taking effexor now, and it has started to help. I am down 20 pounds since 9/17......I should be happy. I understand where you're coming from and it helps to hear I'm not alone in these feelings. Thank you for your post.

Ghill27 we sound very similar. I'm feeling a lot better today with hubby back at work gives me a chance to get back into my routine so feeling somewhat normal. Weird thing is when hubby's home all I can think about is all the yummy good I want to eat but when's he back at work I don't even think about it :)

In 5 weeks out lost over 40lbs never hungry hardly eat. Feel great . As for zoloft ask your Dr about taking Crestor. I take it and it has changed me. Once you lose. 30lbs your going to feel great.