Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magnesium and muscle growth

Yeah it is a leap of faith. Lol. It's not bad though. Frankly it took me 3-4 attempts to get my recipe right. Now I love it.

The kale chips are good but I make asparagus the same way and they're like tasty green French fries. It's amazing how the oil, salt and crunchiness added to anything makes it better.

I'm with Fiddle - I know I need to get in more vegetables, and I've gone so far as to buy a juicer, but the idea of putting spinach or kale in my shakes just makes me scrunch up my face! Doesn't help that the kale chips remind me of the algae that used to grow in my daughter's fish tank. Enough people have assured me that when you add greens to a shake it doesn't taste like kale, so I'm going to try it, but I need some recipes.

Butter - any suggestions on a good book or web site with shake recipes that include the greens? Or can you share your recipe?

I'm with Fiddle - I know I need to get in more vegetables' date=' and I've gone so far as to buy a juicer, but the idea of putting spinach or kale in my shakes just makes me scrunch up my face! Doesn't help that the kale chips remind me of the algae that used to grow in my daughter's fish tank. Enough people have assured me that when you add greens to a shake it doesn't taste like kale, so I'm going to try it, but I need some recipes.

Butter - any suggestions on a good book or web site with shake recipes that include the greens? Or can you share your recipe?[/quote']

Just google green shake....there are thousands of recipes

But for me it was all trial and error.

Currently I do 2 cups kale, 2-3 cups ice Water, 2 scoops Protein powder, 1/2 cup frozen fruit and 1/2 cup Fiber one for the fiber benefit. This makes a huge thick shake that is very filling. Might be too much for you....just cut it in half. Add more Water if it's too thick.

Other things I have been known to add are Greek yogurt, spirulina, goji berries, cacao, other veggies like carrots, cucumber and different dark leafy greens.

Just google green shake....there are thousands of recipes

But for me it was all trial and error.

Currently I do 2 cups kale, 2-3 cups ice Water, 2 scoops Protein powder, 1/2 cup frozen fruit and 1/2 cup fiber one for the fiber benefit. This makes a huge thick shake that is very filling. Might be too much for you....just cut it in half. Add more Water if it's too thick.

Other things I have been known to add are Greek yogurt, spirulina, goji berries, cacao, other veggies like carrots, cucumber and different dark leafy greens.

Thanks Butter - I'll give those a try!

Fiddle - I dare you!

Thanks Butter - I'll give those a try!

Fiddle - I dare you!

He he - a challenge! I will try it this next week. :)

I've been told by doctors that my magnesium is low, potassium as well. I take a daily multi, and have green drink every day, so where else can I get those? Are there magnesium Vitamins? What is the best way to absorb magnesium?

You can get them in the Vitamin section of just about any store. I take them daily in a tablet form. If there is a better way to absorb them I would be interested in knowing myself.

as far as supplements I read online that magnesium glycinate provides highest absorption levels.

You can get magnesium oil. Just do a research on it and see what would work for you. Some people put it in Water or whatever but I apply to my skin and brush my teeth with it. Energy and all over good feeling since starting.

A chiropractor I visited a few years ago recommended a powder supplement, Calm. If I remember correctly, he mentioned Calcium tends to tighten muscles and magnesium will undo the effects. In addition to relaxing the muscles, it also can be used for insomnia and as a laxative.

Kale chips are great but does 1-2 provide much nutrition? I put 2 cups worth in my kale shakes. Blended up it isn't much but drinking that twice a day I get way more leafy greens than I'd otherwise get.

I heard you had to have a particular high end blender to break down kale properly for a shake. Is this the case, or are you using a regular blender?

I heard you had to have a particular high end blender to break down kale properly for a shake. Is this the case' date=' or are you using a regular blender?[/quote']

I use a vitamix which is hi end. But not sure it can't be done with a lesser blender. Try a little Water and kale in a regular blender and see what happens. It might work.

I use a vitamix which is hi end. But not sure it can't be done with a lesser blender. Try a little Water and kale in a regular blender and see what happens. It might work.

A friend of mine who does cross fit and the whole paleo thing mentioned I needed a Vitamix for the reason I stated above. I will try with my blender and see how it goes.

Somehow spinach mixed into my sweet shake does not sound appealing. I will need to find another way. :)

It comes down to proportions and using a base. Bases are creamy tasting fruits such as a pear, apple, or banana. Then you add the fruit, which if you want low GI is typically frozen berries. Only then do you add the spinach. For 1 c of fruit, add 2 handsful of spinach. You won't taste it if you have the base fruits and the berries. We also flavored ours with cinnamon and cardamom plus soy milk.

My very picky child used to drink them with no complaints. Put it in an opaque cup so you're not freaking about drinking green sludge.