Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Every post-op diet is different. I was told by my Nutritionist 'clear fluids only for the first week-two weeks. I'll be sending you a post operative diet book shortly'. This never arrived and I received it the morning after my surgery. Which, when it did arrive, stated that in weeks 1-2, I could 'eat' (amongst the other usual suspects of fresh air and water): Creamed Soups, Yoghurt, Protein Shakes. As it stood and on morning one, the hospital delivered me natural yoghurt and Jello (or jelly as we like to call it in the UK) for Breakfast. So much for clear fluids for 1-2 weeks then?!

Anyway and that aside. Because I was legitimately provided these things on day one, I have continued along that path, whilst consuming bottles of clear Isopure Zero to get my Protein in. I find them rather boring to taste (we only get three flavours in the UK), but it's easy on the stomach and makes me feel like a good student for glugging my way through them.

Pain meds are hideous and always require something to line the stomach first before ingestion to prevent all the usual nasties which can happen. How in gods name you were supposed to manage that on clear fluids and without any form of PPI or stomach lining protection, I don't know?

As for eating the turkey? This is the way I see it.

You're on your own and you haven't been guided particularly well. Although with reference to the pain meds on an empty stomach - you probably new this would be an issue pre-op and maybe should have asked some more probing questions for a definitive position? After all, most healthcare systems, irrespective of which nation it occurs in, couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, so it falls to the patient to be annoyingly 'on top of it'. Which, after paying exorbitant amounts of money no one feels they should have to do, but however, they invariably end up doing, because the administrative coordination systems in these institutions are, for want of a better word, so crap, you need to end up effectively taking charge of your own healthcare. <minor rant over>

So, you had a couple of slices of mashed up turkey in some broth and you chewed it like an obsessive?!?!??!! Did the world stop turning? No. Could you have hurt yourself? Yes. Will you do it again? Course not! (well, you might, if that's your food of choice in the mushie stage!). However, everyone can fully appreciate why you did it. Hell, if I'd had such a lack of medical clarity, cohesion and guidance in how I should approach things, I'd be making my own executive decisions, too!

The way I see it; you spun the barrel in a Russian Roulette game of 'oh my god, I need protein, oh my god how am I going to get it? Maybe I should just eat some meat directly?' kind of thing. After one week of nothing but Clear Liquids and a bucket load of pain meds - no person, however well 'schooled' would be making the most cogent of decisions.

That aside, you were lucky, you didn't sweat out and black out and vomit and are not (hopefully) experiencing abdominal pain, heart palpitations and all the other nasties that can happen. You spun the barrel and nothing was thankfully in the chamber. Consider one of your 9 bariatric lives lost and carry on with renewed vigor and determination! You can do it!

As for me and to illustrate we're all human; I strayed waaaaay off the path last night. I had four teaspoons of mashed potato drowned in baked bean juice so it was like, well, Soup. It tasted amazing and before I get a rollicking for the fact I'd eaten a carb in week one - I'd got permission from my bariatric nurse first - so there! <insert tongue poke out here>

I often find that a lot of things on this site, particularly nuances, when posted in text, are lost in translation. This leaves the doors WIDE open to misinterpretation and people taking conversations off into completely different realms and tangents; making reference to things which aren't immediately relevant, you feel are not immediately warranted, or even on topic. Although it is annoying and you're left thinking 'WTF?!' Most of the time, it is well intentioned. Sift through the 'blah' (which is the majority of my posts) and look for the 'ahh - eureka!'.

Either way and on this site, it's usually either the 'carrot' or the 'stick'. All valid, if you know how to detach your emotions and look at the information proffered critically and objectively.

You'll be great and you'll do great. Put this behind you, grasp your own medical coordination by the balls and go get 'em, tiger! x

I understand. Totally . Gum is a good idea and also be sure to get your Water in.

Try some sugar free pudding with Protein Powder added. Make the pudding as directed and add a scoop or two of Protein powder. I like the Unjury. It will add much needed protein and calories from the powder and milk. Make sure you blend it well and chill.

My post op diet didn't allow for it till 3 weeks. I was on clear liquid for the first week then full liquids for two weeks after. It had to fall through a strainer to consume it but if you are allowed, it will help you get your protein.

So' date=' I'm one week postop and I have been very good for the most part when it comes to not eating anything but Jell-O or chicken broth. Today I got to start cream type Soups – cream and mushroom, Cream of chicken – that sort of thing. I forgot until now that I was also allowed to go back on my Protein checks. I don't know if I'm going to pay for this but, I hoping that I won't. I don't know if any of you live around Central to South Texas but there's a restaurant here called Bill Miller's – people typically like their fried chicken or brisket or things of that nature. I couldn't obviously get any of that but when my father got some chicken, -where would I… I got a couple of small slices of roasted turkey. I didn't anticipate eating both slices but, I made sure that I cut them up small and shoot them about 1 million times before swallowing. I did eat 2 tablespoons of mushroom Soup to go along with it just in case but, I really felt like I needed protein. For the past week or so I felt dizzy and sometimes I had to catch myself to avoid falling. I understand the importance of following the diet and being strict about it but, I feel like I tried to make a good choice for the situation. Any thoughts?[/quote']

I too have cheated a couples times. Only with small bites here and there, once a breadstick, spaghettio rings my kids were eating, and tilipia. But I didn't eat over 3 bites with the baby spoon. I hateeeee the liquid diet....I guess I didn't realize how hard this would be. I feel somewhat deprived and depressed. I haven't weighed myself once because I don't even habe a scale...but my surgery was on 9/18 and I feel like I haven't eaten since then lol. Also having.trouble with all Vitamins and haven't started any protein supplements yet. What about boost low cal high protein?

Thanks Jersey,

Maybe I should have clarified what I was trying to say. I was an unfortunate situation and yes, I knew that eating a solid even breaking it down wasn't the best idea but, I was trying to follow what had I been directed to do that at the same time not in the back in the hospital. I know that I mentioned the restaurants name but honestly, that had nothing to do with it (someone mentioned that earlier.) I wasn't craving it. I don't even want food. But, my health has been very difficult over the past 10 years. I can't emphasize how difficult it was for me to even have the surgery in the first place because I have dealt with so many health issues in the past and currently and I unfortunately let it all overtake me in a sense. I have been following the diet and it's the way that doctors office has a divided up, I was to start eating creamed based Soups and names even though I went through as Many as I could find, I couldn't find any with Protein. It truly had nothing to do with falling off of the bandwagon or anything of that nature. I do have some Protein Shakes that I bought through the surgeon and I can have the now – so, I'll make sure that I do that. I will definitely look into those soups is well – thanks for the suggestions. I've been trying to find something other than Campbell's– Which is what they recommended to me. I'm honestly not too happy with the doctors office right now. I get told different things from different people and there's been a lot of dropping the ball. I and going in tomorrow and I hope I can get everything straightened out on the same page.

Nothing like making a hard situation even harder by not really having docs you are fond of.

I can absolutely understand what a hard and personal decision surgery was. I felt the same.

I was very lucky to get a great support system with my NUT and surgeon... and here. Soooo much information.

Unjury, BariWise and American Bariatrics all have a ton of products to help through all the stages. We have Whole Foods near me ( a good quality super market) that makes their own soups, so much better and I would just strain out the liquid early on. Even Panera soups are a good and tasty option. I always try to get the most bang for my buck with what I consume. We take in so little, I like it to matter. One of my favorite things when I first had surgery was mixing my chocolate protein powder with warm milk and a little sugar free peppermint Syrup. Hot peppermint cocoa. The warm liquid helped early on. You'll find a boat load of info and support from so many here, the Vets were and still are priceless to me. Where else could you go at 2 in the morning when you are stressing and get some tips from someone who went through the same thing.

Good luck progressing your diet, it will get much easier as you can add things.

Respectfully, nothing about this post had anything to do with falling off the wagon. I was having a lot of difficulty with getting proper nutrition and cannot reach my doctors and short of being placed in the hospital again, I chose the path that wasn't the smartest thing to do hence the title of the post -but at the time it was logical because I was supposedly moving on to cream of chicken Soup and I tried to think of something that I could have that I could blend with the cream of chicken soup that had Protein in it. To my knowledge, white meat chicken and white meat turkey had some of the highest protein levels and then – at least the list that I was given – so I thought that this would be a feasible option. I wasn't scarfing something down in the drive-through and I wasn't doing it for enjoyment, I was doing it out of concern. I thought that this forum was an open place to share what each of us are going through. I know exactly what surgery I had and I know exactly what risks there are– This was never an easy decision.

My understanding is that this site was about discussing this surgery with others and having the ability to be open and honest – and not make judgmental comments. Yes I screwed up but passing a judgment that I'm addicted to food and then I need a counselor is respectfully not your place. I can say that confidently as I do have a masters degree in psychology. We each come with different components, illnesses, and reasons for doing the surgery. Each and everyone of us is different. I didn't even begin to get into my fears or why I ate what I did or why I was concerned about needing to eat. I've met some really great people on here and I hope to have continued conversations with them but for now, I don't think I'll come back to the site or continue to post. Who knew that my conundrum could be taken so out of proportion? Good luck in your surgical and endeavors; I wish you well.

There are a lot of judgmental, miserable people on this board. I say miserable not because I know them personally but because sometimes their posts seem to reek of unhelpful, almost shameful contempt for people who don't follow the same path they choose. It's sad.

I for one applaud your honesty - don't give up on this site or more importantly - YOURSELF! I am sending you a big fat hug!

I think a lot of us got here because we have a problem with food. Not just "hey I don't really know about good nutrition, what is it??" But an addiction to food (among other things sometimes) I for one will always be at risk to regain the weight and become actively addicted again.

I suggest counseling to a lot of people not because I am judging them. But because I know what it's like (having an issue with food) and have had intense therapy myself. The fact of the matter is some here will be successful and some will not with long term weight loss and the sleeve. If I can help one person by suggesting therapy. That's one more person that won't show up here a year from now upset at regain..

I did not judge or beat up on the op.. As a matter of fact I wished her well twice! I've held my tongue since... But before this becomes a total them against us fest I would suggest we get back on the original topic which is eating solid food right after surgery.

I read the original post, and gave my best advice in answer to what I saw written there.

I see that others have giving awesome suggestions too.

Again to the op, I hope you find your way.

Laura

Well, I hope you've realized that the dizziness was probably not from a lack of Protein but more likely dehydration. I've never heard of lack of protein causing dizziness but I could be wrong. I also thing your above reaction....not coming back to the site....is quite the over reaction. If you disagree with her...or me...then just say so and move on. If you have a masters in psychology then I assume you realize how the "I'm taking my ball and going home" approach will not help you in the end.

If a person suffers from hypoglycemia... lack of protein can cause dizziness even fainting...Protein is the answer for someone who's blood sugar plummets due to hunger or stress or other real issues...most people head for sugar when this is their issue..but it is only a temporary high and then your blood sugar plummets again where protein stabilizes the blood sugar..... :)

:)

If a person suffers from hypoglycemia... lack of Protein can cause dizziness even fainting...Protein is the answer for someone who's blood sugar plummets due to hunger or stress or other real issues...most people head for sugar when this is their issue..but it is only a temporary high and then your blood sugar plummets again where Protein stabilizes the blood sugar..... :)

See....I knew I could be wrong. And that was me for years...heading right for the sugar when my blood sugar plummeted...I didn't know better back then. I spent 25 years living from one blood sugar crash to another. Bad way to live. I thought snickers bars were medicinal.

Sometimes the question asked is relevant to more than just the person asking.

Sometimes the advice given does not fit the OP perfectly but may pertain to those who are reading but may not have asked.

When I ask a question, I take the advice that works for me and ignore the rest. I do appreciate (almost) all of the input because of the effort put into the reply, even if I don't agree with the content. Please remember, you cannot read tone over the internet. When I am in doubt, I tend to read other posts by the same person and determine if they are trying to be of help, or if they are simply trolling for drama. I rarely let my feeling get hurt by a stranger on the internet. My degrees in psychology and communications taught me better than that.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it! :)

;)

Regular Snickers are not. Almond Snickers are.

What what what?? They make almond ones???

Where have I been!