Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have the gastric sleeve through Kaiser? Can you let me know how the process works since I'm assuming there isn't an approval process since the doctor works for the insurance/hospital company?

Which Kaiser do u have? I have kaiser MAS & live in Virginia. The midwest & california kaisers have different rules.

allons-y

Wow, thats great. Theres lots of CA kaiser peeps out here, only a few of us east coasters.

Do a search for kaiser and you'll find lots of info.

allons-y

I have Northern California Kaiser and was sleeved 9 months ago. First you have to go to your primary care provider who refers you to a "weight loss class". At this class they make sure you are serious about changing your life and eating habits. It's a few hours long. If they see you are serious then you move on to the next step, which is another class. Also a few hours long. After that class they give you a date to meet with the Dr that is going to be your surgeon. They also inform you of what your pre op diet will be like and what exercise goals you need to meet. They let you know you cannot smoke, chew gum, or drink through a straw after surgery. If they don't think you are serious they will not give you a date with the surgeon. Once you meet the surgeon he will weigh you and tell you how much weight you need to lose to qualify for surgery. After that is up to you. There is no approval needed for the insurance. I got lucky and didn't have a copay. That is the only thing you might have to worry about. Once you make it to the surgeon though it's all downhill from there. As soon as you meet the goal you will meet with a nurse and a nutritionist. They're the ones that schedule your surgery date. A word of advice. Do not shoot for the goal they give you. If you weigh even one pound over what you're supposed to on the morning of surgery they will send you home and not do the procedure. Try to go at least five pounds lighter than your goal weight if you can. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

I have Northern California Kaiser and was sleeved 9 months ago. First you have to go to your primary care provider who refers you to a "weight loss class". At this class they make sure you are serious about changing your life and eating habits. It's a few hours long. If they see you are serious then you move on to the next step, which is another class. Also a few hours long. After that class they give you a date to meet with the Dr that is going to be your surgeon. They also inform you of what your pre op diet will be like and what exercise goals you need to meet. They let you know you cannot smoke, chew gum, or drink through a straw after surgery. If they don't think you are serious they will not give you a date with the surgeon. Once you meet the surgeon he will weigh you and tell you how much weight you need to lose to qualify for surgery. After that is up to you. There is no approval needed for the insurance. I got lucky and didn't have a copay. That is the only thing you might have to worry about. Once you make it to the surgeon though it's all downhill from there. As soon as you meet the goal you will meet with a nurse and a nutritionist. They're the ones that schedule your surgery date. A word of advice. Do not shoot for the goal they give you. If you weigh even one pound over what you're supposed to on the morning of surgery they will send you home and not do the procedure. Try to go at least five pounds lighter than your goal weight if you can. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. So did they tell you it's a 6 month process also? How long has it been for you

I am going through the process with Kaiser in southern California and the one thing I've learned is that it is a little different everywhere...even though they are all Kaiser. My sister is in Riverside County, she had 12 weeks of classes once she entered the options program, whereas I have 24 weeks of classes in San Diego County. When I was living in Orange County, I had to have a referral from my doctor to get into the program, who would not refer me because I had only seen her once. When I moved back to San Diego, they have a much different program. I just made an appointment at their positive choice center, sat through two classes in one day about a week ago. I got an email today that I need to go have my labs done and then once those are compete, they schedule you with the doctor who sends you through into the classes. I know like the classes seem like they kinda suck and slow down the process, but my sister says they are part of the reason for her success, she knew exactly what she was getting into and what to expect post surgery and she has had great success. I was told that the whole process in San Diego is a 9 month process and as much as I'd like it to be quicker, id much rather be prepared for the surgery. Good luck to you!!!!

ditto to whatever the girl said above me. i as well went through kaiser nor cal.. south san francisco to be exact. you will have to go to a weight loss class, then referral from pcp. then you go to orientation class, where they give you preop diet and a whole handbook. you also have to attend a lifestyle changes class and a nutritionist class, both 2 hours, i was able to do them on the same day. they will weigh you at each class. you also will have to for a sleep apnea test prior. after the classes you do your medical assessment. then u meet with the surgeon the suregeon will give u a goal weight. mine was only 3 pounds...because i was losing throughout the program. before u meet ur weight loss goal u will also have to do a psych evaluation. very easy and the guy is cool. once u did those two last things u email them and say ur ready and they will set a date...my WHOLE PROCESS ONLY TOOK ME TWO MONTHS! WORD OF ADVICE: take every appointment they give you, try and not reschedule because it may take awhile for u to get a next appointment. if u have to take off work to go to the appt, do it!

and nor cal is way different than so cal...we have no options courses or 6 month supervised diet..its actually hella easy!

I haven't heard of having a supervised diet either. We just have to lose 10% of our body weight during the options program and even that, if you are close they will push you through.....I totally agree on taking whatever appointments you can get into. I even call to see for cancellations to get things moved up (luckily I have a job where I can take off during the day if I need to) but there were people in the first class I ever attended that wouldn't stay to fill out paperwork and waited three months to get into classes that were 20 miles closer to their house...If you are flexible, you can get the requirements done way quicker

Thanks' date=' this is exactly what I was looking for. So did they tell you it's a 6 month process also? How long has it been for you[/quote']

It's not necessarily a six month process. It just depends on how quick you can get your weight down to where the surgeon wants it to be and how quick you can get through the classes. I started my journey at the beginning of October 2012 and had surgery December 10th 2012. Its all up to how much you are willing to do. If you put in the work you will see the results and it won't take 6 months. :)

I agree and disagree.... It just totally depends on your kaiser.... Mine requires a weekly class that lasts 24 weeks... That put you at a minimum of six months no matter how quick u work at it

Anyone have the gastric sleeve through Kaiser? Can you let me know how the process works since I'm assuming there isn't an approval process since the doctor works for the insurance/hospital company?

kaiser in richmond, has a great bariatric team.

Thanks' date=' this is exactly what I was looking for. So did they tell you it's a 6 month process also? How long has it been for you[/quote']

Really amazing how each kaiser is different but the same company. I have kaiser select mid atlantic. I have to attend a 6 months process which consist of nut visits 1-6 ,& a Weight loss control class online & a few information session. I was not told to lose weight but not to gain any weight. I was told I am not to see a surgeon till my 5 or 6 month. I am in my 3 month process. Hoping all this will go by fast.

Really amazing how each kaiser is different but the same company. I have kaiser select mid atlantic. I have to attend a 6 months process which consist of nut visits 1-6 ,& a Weight loss control class online & a few information session. I was not told to lose weight but not to gain any weight. I was told I am not to see a surgeon till my 5 or 6 month. I am in my 3 month process. Hoping all this will go by fast.

Wow, reading your comment, I was wondering if I wrote it myself. That is exactly what I have to go thru verbatim. I was also told that I wont see a surgeon until my 5th or 6th month so I was hoping they wouldn't tell me at 6 months that now I need to loose weight. Whew...I'm currently in my 3 month also and the time seems to be dragging but I set my appointments and count the hours it seems...smh.

I've done the mental health screening which was a 6 to 7 question phone interview. I did the class in person and online just because, attended the seminar and support groups. Now I have another class in December and 2 more nutritional appointments and I hope that's it.

I keep hearing about sleep apnea tests and GI testing and chest x-rays and loosing 10% of your current weight before the surgeon will even touch you. I soooo hope that is not part of Mid-Atlantic's plan!! UGH, what a process but I will make sure it was all worth it!!