Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously?!

During my morning ritual Facebook scroll, I see on CNN that parents had Bariatric surgery performed on their child. Their TWO YEAR OLD!

Can we talk about how this is absolutely not ok?!

During my morning ritual Facebook scroll' date=' I see on CNN that parents had Bariatric surgery performed on their child. Their TWO YEAR OLD! Can we talk about how this is absolutely not ok?![/quote']

I wholeheartedly agree with you. However the same article mentioned that doctors in India did the operation on a 4 year old with Prader-Willi syndrome and that one I actually think is more of a grey area. It's a genetic syndrome whose primary manifestation is hyperphagia (the patients are ALWAYS hungry, they are developmentally disabled so they don't understand the consequences of non- stop eating and will go to any lengths to keep putting food in their mouths). In that case, they may have saved that child's life, though of course he will have to continue to be monitored round the clock to ensure he's able to stick with the diet. In the first one though they were completely open about it just being a case of over feeding and they had never tried putting him in a hospital setting to monitor his intake. That's just cruel :(

I wholeheartedly agree with you. However the same article mentioned that doctors in India did the operation on a 4 year old with Prader-Willi syndrome and that one I actually think is more of a grey area. It's a genetic syndrome whose primary manifestation is hyperphagia (the patients are ALWAYS hungry' date=' they are developmentally disabled so they don't understand the consequences of non- stop eating and will go to any lengths to keep putting food in their mouths). In that case, they may have saved that child's life, though of course he will have to continue to be monitored round the clock to ensure he's able to stick with the diet. In the first one though they were completely open about it just being a case of over feeding and they had never tried putting him in a hospital setting to monitor his intake. That's just cruel :([/quote']

And the parents that fed this child incorrectly are supposed to be in charge of his new, even stricter dietary needs? What were they thinking?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/20/living/parents-2-year-old-weight-loss-surgery/index.html For those that didn't see the article. I sat reading it with my mouth hanging open. I was just amazed that the parents, doctors and hospital thought this was ok to do to a child that is still young enough to be taught proper eating habits.

It can get a whole lot stranger than that. I see in the future parents having the choice of pre-birth fetal nip and tucks to ensure nice skinny babies and kids.

prader-willi syndrome is a terrible diagnosis and those children cannot control their choices - they are always hungry. caregivers-families lock up food and go to extreme lengths to help. until one walks in someones shoes - i do not judge. we do the best we can with what knowledge and resources we have and sometimes that is limited. raising a child with special needs is unique. throw in PW syndrome - i can only imagine how difficult their choice was. i hope everything turns out ok.

Prader-willi syndrome is genetic, and is a result of a malfunctioning hypothalamus which is in the brain, not the stomach.

It is treated with drugs and supervised diets, I strongly feel they did this baby more harm than good here.

prader-willi syndrome is a terrible diagnosis and those children cannot control their choices - they are always hungry. caregivers-families lock up food and go to extreme lengths to help. until one walks in someones shoes - i do not judge. we do the best we can with what knowledge and resources we have and sometimes that is limited. raising a child with special needs is unique. throw in PW syndrome - i can only imagine how difficult their choice was. i hope everything turns out ok.

From what I understand this particular boy didn't have the PW diagnosis. I've worked with kids in the mo/md room that have it. If he did I would still be hesitant but more understanding. This particular, again from what I understand, was just obese. And has very lazy, incompetent parents...

Prader-willi syndrome is genetic' date=' and is a result of a malfunctioning hypothalamus which is in the brain, not the stomach. It is treated with drugs and supervised diets, I strongly feel they did this baby more harm than good here.[/quote']

Exactly. I have a feeling that these parents will still slack in the educational department. They were so loose with his diet and eating habits that he grew to this size, how are they going to manage to maintain an even stricter diet? And I shudder to think what this will do in terms of retarding his growth and the effect it will have on other organs that are not yet mature.

If they weren't watching his diet beforehand, I fear they won't measure his food, and he's too young to stop from overindulging.

And the surgeon and hospital that ok'd such a major elective surgery for a toddler?!

The whole thing sickens me!

From what I understand this particular boy didn't have the PW diagnosis. I've worked with kids in the mo/md room that have it. If he did I would still be hesitant but more understanding. This particular, again from what I understand, was just obese. And has very lazy, incompetent parents...

Yeah, I hadn't read anywhere that he was diagnosed with it either. I don't know much about this family's culture, but I know there are some cultures in which being fat/very fat is preferable so I wonder if any of that is at play here?

No doubt the kid was in for a world of hurt if things kept going as they did, and I'm never one to suggest a kid should be taken away from loving parents but some kind of intervention was definitely needed. I wonder, if the parents had received counseling or training to help them understand the issue at hand?

Yeah' date=' I hadn't read anywhere that he was diagnosed with it either. I don't know much about this family's culture, but I know there are some cultures in which being fat/very fat is preferable so I wonder if any of that is at play here? No doubt the kid was in for a world of hurt if things kept going as they did, and I'm never one to suggest a kid should be taken away from loving parents but some kind of intervention was definitely needed. I wonder, if the parents had received counseling or training to help them understand the issue at hand?[/quote']

I thought of the weight culture issue, too. But then thought "why would they want him smaller?" If that was the case.

I know toddlers can be demanding and want to eat ALL THE TIME but that's where parenting comes into play. If you're going to let them snack all day, at LEAST make them snack wisely!

I thought of the weight culture issue, too. But then thought "why would they want him smaller?" If that was the case.

I know toddlers can be demanding and want to eat ALL THE TIME but that's where parenting comes into play. If you're going to let them snack all day, at LEAST make them snack wisely!

again, we do not know what it like for those parents and if the medical community provided care that was inappropriate - that becomes an ethical issue for the hosp. staff to review. that is what ethics boards are for. if this kid did have PW syndrome- heck, the life ahead of him is a rough one, regardless if he wls at 2. i am a mother of a y/o son...so i can see how a parent can feel pressured to help but i just want to know the whole story and cnn is not a reliable source of news in my opinion!

again' date=' we do not know what it like for those parents and if the medical community provided care that was inappropriate - that becomes an ethical issue for the hosp. staff to review. that is what ethics boards are for. if this kid did have PW syndrome- heck, the life ahead of him is a rough one, regardless if he wls at 2. i am a mother of a y/o son...so i can see how a parent can feel pressured to help but i just want to know the whole story and cnn is not a reliable source of news in my opinion![/quote']

Parents blatantly said his size was a result of overeating/over feeding, not PW. And as I said, the hospital and surgeon should be punished because WLS on a 2 year old is highly unethical.

Parents blatantly said his size was a result of overeating/over feeding' date=' not PW. And as I said, the hospital and surgeon should be punished because WLS on a 2 year old is highly unethical.[/quote']

Two separate kids. One P-W, one without (appears to be simply over feeding and noncompliance). I was simply pointing out that, heart wrenching as the decision may be, I could understand it more in the P-W case. As far as I am aware, there is no better management for P-W hyperphagia.

Two separate kids. One P-W' date=' one without (appears to be simply over feeding and noncompliance). I was simply pointing out that, heart wrenching as the decision may be, I could understand it more in the P-W case. As far as I am aware, there is no better management for P-W hyperphagia.[/quote']

I agree. A pediatric patient with a PW diagnosis with hyperphagia would be more of a grey area. I've worked with kids that are treated with medications and therapies to help it. With a toddler, wls would work to a degree, but as a teen/adult, they'll eat until they pop their sleeve or pouch.

As for the child in the article that had it simply because the parents over fed, I think it's disgusting.